Search Unity

Sending player data to online server, database or Google Drive / Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by brownbird77, Jan 26, 2021.

1. brownbird77

brownbird77

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone could help me. I am using Unity to create games that can be used to study human behaviour, such as how people move around a new environment. After teaching myself Unity for a few years now, I have the basic structure of the game set up, but have hit a stumbling block with data collection.

I have set up the game so that it can track a number of different things, such as player movement (x,y,z positions over time) and save this to a .csv file which can then be analysed. The problem is that this means the data can only be saved to the local system and I need to ask participants to actively send the data to me after they play the game. I originally set up some code which allowed the .csv to save on the participant's computer, then send to me in email attachments. However, it appears that numerous log-ins to my email across different devices causes Outlook to have a fit about security and block the emails coming in, so I am now looking into alternatives.

What I really need is a way for people to play the game from their own computer, either as a web app or standalone, and have the data sent to me via the internet somehow. I am looking into MySQL, but before learning a whole new coding language I really need to know if this is going to suit my needs. Can MySQL, for example, be used to record track x,y,z position values at certain time intervals? (I know it doesn't really work like a matrix as something like Excel would work, so not totally sure if something like that would be suitable).

An alternative would be to stick to saving data as .csv files on the local system and find another way of sending me the data e.g. depositing it into a Google Drive or Dropbox? But I understand their API is rather complex.

Would love to hear people's opinions so I know where to look. I am working on a rather tight deadline, so if I need to learn new coding, I need to use my time wisely rather than spend months learning something that turns out not to be suitable for what I need!

Thanks very much! :)