Search Unity

Question Semantic tags generation with script.

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by hmkn, Nov 30, 2020.

1. hmkn

hmkn

Hello. I'm a biggner of Unity MARS.
    I'd like to automate in generating semantic tags traits.

Situation: I have positions and label data list that collected from 3d space using deep learning inferernce.
    What I need to: I'd like to convert these position data into semantic tag. Is it possible to generate traits by script?

Thanks.

2. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

hello @hmkn

Yes you can generate traits through scripting, to use your type as a trait you must compile your type into its assembly and generate some code; to make this happen move your generated code into
    Assets/MARS/Extension Types
    folder. A recompile will happen, and then your trait type is ready to use.

To create your own trait check Providing Traits via Scripts from our docs https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.mars@1.2/manual/Traits.html#semantic-tags

3. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

If the semantic tag is just a string label you won't need to create a new type - the existing tag type will work.

jmunozarUTech likes this.
  4. hmkn

hmkn

Thanks for the quick response.
    I assume tag is just a string label. So I use existing tag type.
    Could you show me a sample implementation to generate traits by script?

5. hmkn

hmkn

I'm trying to create traits via scripts. What is the data IDs and is it possible to add them via scripts?

"To create a data ID in the first place, use AddOrUpdateData, which comes from IUsesMARSTrackableData." Is there a sample code for it?

6. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

Data IDs are what MARS uses to associate different sources of data together.

You probably want to use a reasoning API for your use case.
    You can find them in: Packages\com.unity.mars\Runtime\Scripts\Reasoning APIs

FloorReasoningAPI and InViewReasoningAPI are good examples of dynamically applying semantic tags to detected or generated data.

7. hmkn

hmkn

8. hmkn

hmkn

I'm still not familiar with the concepts of Reasoning APIs and Synthetic Data, so please let me know.
    SynthesizedSemanticTag has AddTrait and Reasoning APIs IProvidesTraitsMethods also has methods like AddOrUpdateTrait, but how can Unity.MARS.Data.Reasoning and Unity.MARS.Data.Synthetic be used properly?
    For example, if I want to use a certain position (Pose in this case) as Traits on MARS, do you use SynthesizedPose in Synthetic or TraitNames.Pose in Reasoning API?

9. hmkn

hmkn

IMG_1DBB7E72FC28-1.jpeg
    Is my image correct?

10. hmkn

hmkn

2020-12-11 16.02.03.png
    I understand that I attach synthetic object which consists of synthesized object and synthesized traits for MARS database. I would like to write Semantic Tag by script. However it seems private value. (SynthesizedSemanticTag.cs in line 16.) What should I do to insert value?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  11. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

Hi - A few answers to your questions

Your image is close. MARS has a general concept of 'data' that can come from devices, synthetic objects, or reasoning APIs. Synthetic Objects is our system of translating Unity GameObject data to MARS data that can match queries. This is why all of those systems have methods of adding and removing traits :)

Synthetic Objects/Traits

With the currently released version of MARS, The 'trait' aspect of Synthesized Objects is mostly meant to be unchanging from author time (while the value is dynamic). The reason for this is that it gives us a good idea of the capabilities the application needs from the device.. We are working on an update that offers a straightforward way to change these dynamically via script.

That being said, if you want to dynamically modify a synthetic semantic tag in the current version of MARS, I suggest you make your own synthesized bool trait (Just copy the SynthesizedSemanticTag) and give the trait name a setter as well. You will need to disable/reenable a synthesizedObject to ensure the changed data properly populates the MARS database.

Reasoning APIs
    These are much more set up for dynamic trait modification. If you are creating and managing where a series of poses are that don't need to go through the game object loop, I suggest you use a reasoning API (and yes, use TraitNames.Pose)

12. hmkn

hmkn

Hi @unity_andrewm . Thank you for the answer!
    Now I understand the design of MARS, synthetic objects and traits.

jmunozarUTech likes this.