Search Unity

Selling on the Unity Asset Store - Earn 70% each sale, non-exclusive!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kovpak

kovpak

Question.

Allowed to sell assets in the Asset Store made ​​in Unity Free?

2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Answer.

Yes! ;)

3. JonathanBreck

JonathanBreck

Is there an option to sell both commercial and indie license?

4. IEvansModeler

IEvansModeler

Wow this is awesome i didn't know you all would let others make money like this kudos to UNITY!!

5. Apshai-Arts

Apshai-Arts

We've submitted an asset to the store, it is still pending review, and now we've added quite a few features. Is it better to wait for the first submission to become reviewed before submitting the upgraded one, or should we submit the upgraded one already?

6. crafTDev

crafTDev

Submit now, they will approve them at the same time; it saves time unless you want hold back on the new features...

7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I think by submitting it again you'd cancel the previously submitted version and restart the reviewing process. So I'd say if the new version includes critical fixes you better resubmit it, otherwise let the initial version pass through and submit the update right after that.

8. Grespon

Grespon

I was thinking about it right now... the initial versions seems to take about 1 week to get approved... so I think it's better to wait it and release a new version right after. I think it takes less time.

9. Apshai-Arts

Apshai-Arts

Unfortunately, we did not wait - the updates where not critical, so therefore it will take awhile longer for our asset to appear... Oh well, lesson learned 'till next time (if it is so, that the first version takes longer).

10. johnny12345

johnny12345

how do I include my assets in 50% sales offers

11. dkozar

dkozar

12. johnny12345

johnny12345

thanks

13. guavaman

guavaman

It can take forever sometimes. I've been trying to get a rather critical update on the asset store for 3 weeks now, but for one reason or another (every time it seems some minor undocumented "rule" like including a readme.txt instead of just readme.html, when they took the package the first time without it, or not allowing me to mention a free demo version in the description if I sell the package on my website too, to posting a link directly to a zip file (the demo) in the description, etc.) they decline it 7-8 days after submission each time. We seriously need a great big numbered list of all these rules.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  14. Marrrk

Marrrk

What exactly do I need to write? I am very new to the whole twitter thingy and my request via twitter about more informations regarding the daily sales process was unanswered.

15. dkozar

dkozar

Just tell them that you want to be considered for daily sales.

You should tweet to @UnityAssetStore, @CaitlynUnity or @KamioUnity.

16. Marrrk

Marrrk

Thank you. I wish that there is a fancy UI for such things, in the publisher/admin console or something like this.

17. Zahidylin_Marat

Zahidylin_Marat

Hello.
    Anyone have experience selling on Asset Store from country which don't support PayPal?
    We can't receive money from PayPal account in my country (Ukraine).
    Can Unity use SWIFT for example, to send money?
    How can people from country, which don't support PayPal, receive money?

18. TonyLi

TonyLi

From the "thanks for submitting" email, it looks like your only choice is wire:

19. QI

QI

Hello,may I ask a question?
    How could I join the 24 hour deals?
    I want to give a off to sale my asset,just turn price down?

Thanks you.

20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

No, no. Check the Info tab on your publisher's page. There's a link to the sign up form, so use that. It may take some time though, so be patient ;)

21. QI

QI

Yes,I got.
    Thanks you so much!!

22. QI

QI

Hi
    why I not receive last month revenue until today?
    There is a revenue log on my publisher manage site,but I not receive it in my paypal account .

Did the Asset Store Team forget to pay me revenue??

Best Regards

23. Tasarran

Tasarran

Answer to your first question: The first was on a Saturday, so business takes place on the next business day.

Answer to your second question: The funds will be in your PayPal on the 15th (unless the 15th is on a weekend, then the next Monday)

24. QI

QI

Yes,I know that.
    Means I will receive money on last month 15 or may be later,but I not receive until today.
    I can see the payout log on my publisher site,but there's no money in my Paypal account.

And I really have no idea to ask Unity Asset Store for this problem,they never reply me............................

Have any idea for this ????

25. Docm30

Docm30

Can someone help me?

I made multiple sales before the 15th and should have received money but I still haven't. I've got all my payout information filled in, including my Paypal account, but still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

26. guavaman

guavaman

Payout takes at least a month. You'll probably get it on April 15.

27. Tasarran

Tasarran

You get paid on the 15th for sales from the 1st to the 31st of the PREVIOUS month.

So, you will get paid April 15 for sales this month.

28. Docm30

Docm30

All right, I see. Thanks

29. Artic

Artic

I want to sell a model of Leica IIIf but I'm not sure with the rule 2.2 Trademarked and branded content. I have made exact copy of the camera, and changed the logo. Is it OK?

30. chingwa

chingwa

This is a murky area, but I'd say don't do it. Intellectual property refers not to just logos and branding but design and imagery as well. The Leica camera shape is just as iconic and integral part of the leica brand as the logo and by uploading you run the risk of infringement.

However as I said it's murky. Skyshop uses high-end Leica and Vespa brand imagery to sell their software (though I don't know if they have actual models in their download files?).

The point really isn't is it "OK" or "Legal"... the point is it's all fine until you get convicted in a court for infringement. Is it worth it to you to take that chance?

31. crafTDev

crafTDev

Does anyone know if there is a submission process just to update the info or put asset on personal sale? I want to know if this kind of thing has become instant now instead of waiting just for them to approve a price change.

Thanks,
    jrDev

32. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

For most people it's a submission process, yes.

--Eric

33. guavaman

guavaman

It still takes time for them to approve any changes to the description, etc. It's usually pretty fast though, but they may be busy right now with Unite. As for personal sales, they do not allow you to put any special graphics on your icons or on your page. You can only announce your sale in text in the description.

34. crafTDev

crafTDev

Thanks guys,

I ask this because I noticed some people know when their sale is going to start and when it ends (eg. Ends at midnight).

Thanks,
    jrDev

35. guavaman

guavaman

Yeah, they really have no control over that unless they're one of the very few who are on the special trusted publisher list. It's probably more for effect than anything else.

36. crafTDev

crafTDev

Something like this. image.jpg It wouldn't surprise me if they get special access, it's probably their most profitable asset.

Thanks,
    jrDev

37. orb

orb

Labor Day is a special day. It can be planned for due to its regularity ;)

38. guavaman

guavaman

There's no way they can make the sale end at midnight unless they are a "trusted publisher" because every change to the price, description, or anything else must first go through the asset store team for review. If the sale actually ended at midnight and the price changed at that time, then Hutong must be a trusted publisher because they can make changes directly without having them reviewed first. Given the popularity and sales of Playmaker, they may very well be.

Aside from that, a sale that "ends at midnight" that doesn't mention a time zone... When it does end the next day after submitting a new price and description, assuming the store team gets to it the same day, it's going to be midnight somewhere anyway. :p

39. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well you could just set to sale then wait 24 hours and put the price back but you need to be "whitelisted" before you do it. But doing that really doesnt have that much impact anyway, because i think you will just "zapping your sales" -- especially if its a niche item.

40. GernotW

GernotW

Hi!
    I want to sell a character with a flamethrower on the asset store. Got some questions now:

1) If I use simplygon to create several LODs for it, am I allowed to sell them with the character?
    2) Am I allowed to include a (tweaked) fire effect I bought in the asset store (For the flames coming out of the flamethrower and for the stuff that is set on fire by the flamethrower) as part of the package?
    3) I used some free stuff for the animations (mostly mixamo but also some animations from the free mocap library from the asset store). I know mixamo allows me to do it. So are there any issues with free animations that I want to sell as part of a character - I do not sell them without it of course. And when I upload the package do I include the whole fbx files with the animations or do I copy just the animations and do not include the rest of the fbx files coming with the animations?
    4) Scripts: Currently I have a locomotion script for the animator, two very basic scripts for the flamethrower and a slightly tweaked camera script that is essentialy the "ShooterGameCamera" script from the Unity demo project. I am still unsure if I should include the camera script, because it is not really a part of the character model. But it would be nice to include for people who want to use the specific configuration that I got at the moment. Am I allowed to do this sort of thing or does that go under the category "selling free stuff from unity demo projects" or the like?

Thanks for answers in advance

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  41. stimarco

stimarco

No reason why not. You've already paid for the LOD creation process that Simplygon provides. It crunched the data and gave you your LODs, which is what you paid for. They aren't expecting you to pay them a fee every time you use the results. (If they did, they'd never get any custom.)

Depends on their licensing. Assets in the Asset Store Read usually have to include the standard Unity Asset Store License. It says something along the lines of "you can use this in any project as long as you don't sell it as a standalone entity in the Asset Store", so you should be fine. That said, it's good manners to ask first, and also to link to the original in the Asset Store somewhere in the description.

Again, there'd be little point in selling such assets on the Asset Store if you couldn't do this. (If you're using mocap data from the cMonkeys set, those are actually from the Carnegie Mellon University and have no restrictions on usage. The only caveat is that they're provided on an 'as-is' basis.) If you're using paid-for mocap data, which is usually post-processed and cleaned up, ready to use, you should double-check the license agreement, but the general rule is, as long as you're not just reselling their assets directly, you should be fine.

Golden Rule
    If in doubt, ask!

It's quick, it's easy, and they'll usually say 'yes'. (Again, it's also good manners to link to the original source assets in both the description text and in the documentation.)

Again: ask them. As a general rule though, I'd only include the bare minimum of data required to make the character work. This keeps the file sizes down and reduces asset bloat. Linking back to the original source asset means customers can get at the FBX file if they should need it. And it gives the original asset creator more potential customers.

You're creating what's known as a "derivative work". (I.e. like a DJ remixing another musician's tracks.) Those Unity demo scripts are supposed to be used in other projects. In fact, the entire point of an Asset Store is to encourage asset reuse. This is particularly the case for code, as code reuse is considered a Very Good Thing™.

Unity are only interested in cracking down on people who simply upload a project from the Asset Store to an App Store or three, with no (or very minor) changes, and claim it as their own. That's what the Asset Store license explicitly bans. As with the animation files, they don't mind you including one or two with a tutorial as long as (a) you given them credit, and (b) you're not just reselling their work.

42. GernotW

GernotW

Thanks stimarco for that very useful comment. That takes out most of the confusion I had about this stuff!

43. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

2) No, you're not allowed to include other people's assets, unless you have explicit permission.

--Eric

44. orb

orb

Fire is *fun* to make anyway. And in the game editor.

45. GernotW

GernotW

Ah okay thanks. Looks like I got more work to do...

46. guavaman

guavaman

This incorrect and would be a violation of the license. See below.

----------------------
    http://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

2. END-USER's Rights and Obligations

END-USER may use the licensed Assets only for their intended purpose.

Licensor grants to the END-USER a non-exclusive, worldwide, and perpetual license to the Asset to integrate Assets only as incorporated and embedded components of electronic games and interactive media and distribute such electronic game and interactive media. Except for game services software development kits (“Services SDKs”), END-USERS may modify Assets. END-USER may otherwise not reproduce, distribute, sublicense, rent, lease or lend the Assets. It is emphasized that the END-USERS shall not be entitled to distribute or transfer in any way (including, without, limitation by way of sublicense) the Assets in any other way than as integrated components of electronic games and interactive media. Without limitation of the foregoing it is emphasized that END-USER shall not be entitled to share the costs related to purchasing an Asset and then let any third party that has contributed to such purchase use such Asset (forum pooling).

-----------------------

Highlighted lines show that assets on the store are only to be used in complete games and interactive media, NOT used in game kits or other packages, including anything sold on the asset store.

Further, the phrases "incorporated and embedded" and "integrated components" were added to emphasize that they must be integrated into a game or interactive media in a form where they are not open and available for others to obtain. This means you are also not allowed to include the assets in a complete game source kit. And I'd also add, the above does not discriminate between free or paid distribution, so you wouldn't even be allowed to give such a kit away without breaking the license terms.

Because the asset store does not distribute complete games, by definition, there is no legal way for you to take any portion of a product you purchase on the asset store and redistribute it in any form back on the asset store.

Which is not allowed under the asset store license unless it is an embedded component in an electronic game or interactive media.

Not sure where you're getting this. Code reuse outside of a completed game project is absolutely not allowed as it is covered by the above terms. If it were, there'd be nothing stopping people from copying and pasting chunks of various programs on the store, adding to it, and building their own new kit.

When in doubt, read the license for the products you've purchased: http://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  47. GernotW

GernotW

Okay in my case that would mean, that I have to do the fire effect myself, get out the camera script and the animations from the asset store mocap library I guess - luckily that's only one or two anyways.
    Btw. I never intended to charge anybody for that script anyways. This is purely for convenience. People want to put things into the scene without having to do additional setup work. What about a comment like: "The script is for your convenience only, I do not charge for it!". But since it is inside of a commercial package that won't work, I guess.
    On the other hand - the script is not that important. Let's see...

Edit: But the most important thing is actually if simplygon allows me to do that. If not, that woud be a ton of additional work.

48. guavaman

guavaman

You should check the licenses for the fire effect and the mocap library if they were free. I believe Unity does allow some free assets to include their own licenses. I know then generally don't allow custom licenses, but I do recall hearing that for certain free assets they do, or at least did in the past. As for Unity's free assets, I'm not sure whether those have different licenses than the asset stores -- I'd wager they do. Did the assets come with any license files?

49. guavaman

guavaman

50. guavaman

guavaman

An update. A similar discussion took place in the Unity Asset Store message group and Ian Dunlap of Unity responded: (I hope it's okay to quote you here, Ian!)

So it seems even though the EULA disallows this use, Unity is okay with parts of their assets being used in demos for your products on the asset store. I'd like to see this reflected in the licenses for Unity's free assets, because, technically it doesn't match up with what the EULA says, but they're okay with it.

This is for demo purposes, mind you. I'm not sure if it would be acceptable if you integrated parts of their assets into the functionality or art of your product itself.

EDIT: I asked this question as a followup and a Unity representative replied:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.