Search Unity

Selling my Autodesk Maya 8 software + an nvidia Quadro FX5500

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EducaSoft, Jan 11, 2011.

1. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Hi guys,

I'm selling my Maya 8 complete software + nvidia QuadroFX 5500 1Gb graphics card which nicely mates with maya.

Reason: After a couple of years I discovered that I'm not really a modeler after all. So it makes no sense keeping the software + hardware to model.

I am however a die hard unity3d user and thats not going to change, but modeling isn't for me anymore.

If anyone would be interested. I'm selling the maya for 250 euro (cost me 2500 euro) and the QuadroFX 5500 for 200 euro (cost around 2000 euro)

In bundle I'm happy with 400 euro for the 2 together. A nice price to be 100% legal for modeling. I know Maya8 isn't latest version, but who needs latest version for game model making :)

If anyone interested, drop me a mail -> educasoft@gmail.com

2. Vert

Vert

You might want to speak with Autodesk first:
    Check out section 3.2.3 of the EULA for Maya 8

3.2.3 Transfers. You may not distribute, rent, loan, lease, sell, sublicense, or otherwise transfer all or any portion of the Software or User Documentation, or any rights granted in this Agreement, to any other person without the prior written consent of Autodesk.

Link to the EULA for MAYA 8.
    http://images.autodesk.com/apac_sapac_main/files/autodesk_maya_8_eula.pdf

EDIT: I almost purchased the student edition of 3ds max once, read the EULA completely and there was a clause that could have allowed them to deactivate my software at any time for any reason they so desired. I have stayed far away from all Autodesk software since. They are too picky with their licenses for my taste.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Ok, then let us say it the other way around.

I can also sell my QuadroFX5500 for 400 euro :) and accidentaly throw my copy of maya8 in the direction of the buyer.

I understand that autodesk likes to keep its licenses strickt. I just don't us it anymore and maybe somebody would be happy with it. It won't change a lot for me since I don't use it anymore at all.

Is it legal -> probably not, but.... I bought the software with my company and stopped my company also, so I could as well transfer the license to myself (this is possible) so it could also be for another person.

4. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Ok I read the EULA.

Discart my post. Seems like its not possible to sell without Autodesk aproval and I'm not going to argue for a piece of software which is only left worth around 200 euro to me. I'll keep the box on the shelf then :)

5. Vert

Vert

I'm sorry you are unable to legally sell it without a hassle. I'm not sure how much trouble Autodesk might make it as I know the install process of 3DS max when I was reading EULA's before declining them and returning the software was incredibly cumbersome. I mean, I suppose they want you to contact them so a pirate can't generate your Key and claim that you sold them the software and that they now own it and then have them disable it on your pc. But then again, Autodesk does throw in a ton of DRM so, they might make transferring licenses difficult or ask for another payment from the buyer, since they only "License" their software, and you technically don't own anything from them.

6. taumel

taumel

I never reads those software EULAs, so luckily or sadly i have no idea what nonsense i signed already.

7. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

you owe me 600.000 Euro...you signed it!

8. taumel

taumel

Taumel notes in his Merk-Dir-das-Büchle Never, and i really mean never ever order something from Schlumpfsack again!

9. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

10. Vert

Vert

I always make sure I read the fine print in all the software that cost's me a lot of money. I couldn't believe my eyes when Autodesk left in the loop hole that could force my copy of software to be deactivated and buy new if they saw fit! That's scary. They could turn my $500 into nothing!

11. taumel

taumel

This consumes too much time/fun. I think if a licence is completely rubbish you'll notice this through the net as there always will be people who keep an eye on such things. Secondly i try to buy/support software which treats their users in a fair way, the counterpart to Autodesk would be Luxology.

There also exists this grey area where a licence is against your local law and you could sue them, go through all the legal/court trouble which almost no one does. The easier way people often choose is just to use another piece of software or a crack if they feel betrayed by the software they once bought, just in case things get too much out of control on the vendor's side.

Especially the usage of inappropriate DRM is a chapter on its own and there are tons of examples how you shouldn't treat your customers.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  12. KITT

KITT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk,_Inc.

Vernor wanted to resell his used software, was denied the right to do so - so he sued Autodesk and won. 9th circuit court appeal went in favor of Autodesk..But I believe this issue has still not been resolved.

13. dissidently

dissidently

Never owned Maya, but if it's literature is anything like that provided with 3dsmax then it's got some value. Are they any good?