Search Unity

Selling items as DLC from Asset Store assets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimmying, Jun 25, 2020.

1. jimmying

jimmying

Does anyone know if there are restrictions regarding selling items (e.g. a character model) I bought from the asset store as paid DLC in my game?

The terms (relevant bit pasted below), kinda goes over this, but to me it seems it's more referring to selling an asset as-is.

Anyone got any experience with this? Tried asking support, but no answer yet.

2. sxa

sxa

As part of a game, I dont see any reason why not, since DLC is still part of 'the' game.

(Note that if its not a game, eg its some sort of authoring tool, and you're selling Unity assets as assets for your tool, that's not legitimate)

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

You need to contact unity support.

There was a thread previously with somewhat similar question, and the answwer there was "it is not allowed", but circumstances were different.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ass...old-on-steam-as-dlc-for-maker-program.817455/

In general, you get the right to use content in interactive mediums, and DLC would be part of that medium, so it should be allowed. But it would be best to contact support for clarifications.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If this is really a game, and the DLC is delivered in a manner where it is only useful in that game (like any typical game DLC), I don't see any problem.

On the contrary, if your "game" was really a content creation tool (like for example a tool for creating and exporting animated videos), and the "DLC" was to provide assets for others to use when creating their own content, you would probably be in violation. But this gets into the definitions of definitions within the license agreement, what actually is reselling the asset? Basically lawyer questions if you were trying something along these lines. (I am not a lawyer)

5. jimmying

jimmying

Will do. And thanks for the link, that was pretty informative.