Search Unity

Selling exlucsive models in the Unity3D asset store.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chrisasan, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

The idea is to sell the self designed and made 3d Models like in the Unity3D asset store, with the exception of only selling one copy of it. Rather than selling many copies for $5.00 selling one copy for $500.00. This would allow developers to get ready made models that are unique to their project.

GibTreaty likes this.
  2. tsibiski

tsibiski

Frankly, I would like to see a profile instead, such as something you might see in Fiverr.

Where you put all of your creations to show off, and say "Want an original human model? I can make them for you from between $100-500 USD, depending on the quality and time required to complete it.

And perhaps, through that profile page where someone might hire you to do this, you can also show a set of unique, unavailable models that you have already created, which you can say, "Or, instantly buy one of these pre-made models that I have not yet sold to anyone. Guaranteed to only be sold to you, and will be removed from availability as soon as you purchase."

CptDustmite and Chrisasan like this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

You can add profile info and text that says that to your asset description. You could link to your site or something like your unity connect profile.

Overall, not sure how useful this would be. A premium rate for something that is already designed? People would more likely to pay a higher rate for something custom designed for their, probably not just exclusivity. Steam has taught us that many developers are clearly not concerned about exclusivity. ;)

theANMATOR2b and angrypenguin like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I don't believe the Asset Store is built to lock down an item after a single sale. Plus I doubt Unity would be very interested in that given that they have overhead from approving each individual item that they probably expect to be paid for by the lifetime of sales of the item.

I'd simply offer services to create custom models at a reasonable price. When you're paying $500 for a model, you're going to expect to be able to provide the exact specs as to what you're looking for. It is when you're paying $5 that you expect to get whatever the modeler already made.

Amon, zombiegorilla and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  5. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

The reason I had this idea, is because I am having dreams of being able to make models and earn a living. But as things are, I could only probably earn some extra dollars from time to time.

6. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

why would i buy a premade model which you already finished, when i can hire someone to do a model EXACTLY how i want it to be for the same price ?

7. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

Those do not come at the same price is the problem. A custom designed model cost thousands of dollars. About $3,000 dollars for one unrigged model about 5 years ago. The other guys I asked had higher prices.

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The system in place as is can accommodate this.
    Put the model on the store at the $500.00 price point. Put in the description the model is for sale exclusively for the first purchaser, with ongoing support by you.
    After a long while when someone finally purchases the model. Deprecate it.

9. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

When are people going to learn, you can't make decent looking video games cheap unless you can do it all yourself.

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Two people could purchase the model by the time you notice the first purchase (you have to sleep sometime, and the asset store is open 24/7), and I don't believe you could force a refund and remove the asset from the 2nd person's computer, so you'd be unable to live up to your claims of exclusivity.

Chrisasan likes this.
  11. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

I suppose you could advertise that it's for a limited time, for a limited number of sales.

12. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

I've found artists on Fivrr and other similar platforms who will create a custom and rigged model for $400-$500. Not sure the $3k applies any longer. Note, not bad artists either. Ones that have developed for popular published titles.

13. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

If that's the current price then good for game developers. It could be good for artist too, because of getting more work. If that's the price today, then creating personally designed models for exclusive sell is too weak. I suppose it could only work if I was selling a realistic representation of something, like an animal.

So with know these things, only custom models can be done. Should the artist charge more for exclusive rights? The game developer wants unique models?