Search Unity

Selling downloadable software on Amazon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HonoraryBob, Jan 4, 2021.

1. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

There's a category for downloadable games on Amazon (and another for downloadable non-entertainment software), but I can't figure out how you're supposed to sell it: my Amazon Advantage seller account only allows books, music, and DVDs; online forums claim there's no way to sell it at all; and the following page at Amazon claims digital downloads are completely prohibited (despite the obvious fact that they have a category for it) unless this policy only refers to providing license keys: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/external/G200386270

I assume Amazon requires yet another special seller account for downloadable software (as they do for selling Kindle versions of books), but I can't find any policy for this.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Some searching came across the following post by an Amazon forum moderator.

3. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Yes, but they now list downloadable software by third-party sellers, so that post must be out of date. They used to require all downloads to be sold via Amazon Digital Services but that clearly isn't the case any longer.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

While that may be the case more recent threads are suggesting that it is still very much invitation only.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/fo...ftware-on-amazon-as-a-digital-download/580679

HonoraryBob likes this.
  5. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Thank you. That's a recent post, and one of the developers in the comments said that he sells on Amazon via CD-Rom (!), so I guess that's an option. I still couldn't find which type of seller account you're supposed to use for that: Amazon Advantage allows DVDs, but I'm not sure if that's for software or some other product and there's no way to find out without first putting in an EAN/UPC code for a specific product.