Search Unity

Selling Asset in Asset Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nothingn0, Feb 15, 2019.

1. nothingn0

nothingn0

If i buy game template from unity3d asset store then i improved it with additional design, game modes and feature and then i sell it in unity3d asset store, is it legal?

2. Samuel411

Samuel411

If you have a single file from the other asset then no.

3. sxa

sxa

from, or derived from.

Kiwasi, angrypenguin and Ostwind like this.
  4. chingwa

chingwa

No. That is the answer.

angrypenguin likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. This is thoroughly covered in Section 1.1 of the Submissions Guidelines for the Asset Store.

https://unity3d.com/asset-store/sell-assets/submission-guidelines

Samuel411, Amon and Peter77 like this.
  6. Amon

Amon

You're basically looking to make a quick buck without putting any work in. Asset flips sold back to the store you bought them from is a lame way to do it.

Samuel411 likes this.
  7. You can do two things:
    - learn what the template does (learn!) and then write your own and sell the whole thing
    - strip everything which is part of the template and sell your addition separately (like plug-ins or additions), although you have to describe what you're doing and you have to tell the customers that they need the original template for the standard usage of your asset

8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yes you can, but it comes with restrictions. I am not sure the case for scripted game systems, but for artwork such as 3D models and textures you can resell the identical asset in a different web store for a different platform. It's just sold in a different manner, in this case as DLC content that can be imported into the platform and used by it's users. We did this over at Roblox and I was unaware, thinking our catalog assets were "asset flips", but they were not. At some point we had made an agreement with the publisher of the assets and we were allowed to resell the artwork in the Roblox asset store. The artwork is identical to the artwork sold on the Unity Asset Store. If you're considering reselling a package on the Unity Asset Store, reach out to the publisher of that asset and see if you can reach an agreement. Before anyone comments, yes I've read the terms and the EULA from Unity and these deals can still happen with caveats.