Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling an asset that leverages other assets

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kukewilly, Sep 24, 2022.

1. kukewilly

kukewilly

Hello Devs,

I developed a tool for the asset store that synchronizes the positions of AR/VR players that are in the same location. It uses an asset on the store to get some key data from a camera feed that I then use in my original works to make the tool operate as needed. The asset has a standard EULA.

I would like to sell this tool on the asset store because I think a lot of VR/AR devs will find it super useful/enabling. Can someone detail if this is okay? It SEEMS like it is according to this article:

https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/...commercial-game-#h_01FY9A8W2XFX0586WWZ2XW7883

"Resale of assets
    You cannot duplicate an asset, or include it in an asset-type product.

For example, if you think of the Asset Store as a grocery store and the assets as carrots and zucchini, the Asset Store EULA lets you sell a meal that you make from the carrots and zucchini. Your recipe, your preparation, and your presentation are the substantial original work with which vegetables are distributed. The Asset Store EULA, however, does not let you resell individual vegetables outside of a recipe."

The project I'm working on is very much so "a recipe". I'm using maybe < 5% of the assets capabilities to build my tool, and there are a lot of other systems being used that are either originally scripted or just adapted from various courses/tutorials.

Can I sell my asset with parts of the other asset included? I've already reached out to the devs of the asset and am waiting to hear their thoughts. Thanks!

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, you can not use code from other assets in general, unless they are MIT, Apache 2.0 or BSD licensed for example and is permitted or have the (preferably written) consent of the other asset publisher.

So is a definitely no if it is from another paid asset, since those are Unity licensed, unless the publisher allows it maybe.

3. kukewilly

kukewilly

I see. Even if the asset is technically a port of code that is under BSD 3-Clause License? The asset in question is OpenCV for Unity, which I'm assuming is mostly leveraging the BSD 3 code of OpenCV and then some original works to integrate with C# and Unity.

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

All code that is under BSD is ok to include, but the wrappers that they made is not or any changes in code. Given that is not possible to know what was changed, is best to take code directly from the BSD licensed code to be on the safe side.

Of course best practice is to contact the developers, as maybe adding support for your asset may be beneficial to both sides, so this is the best option.

5. kukewilly

kukewilly

Okay great thanks for the info. As mentioned I did contact them and I'm hoping we can work something out :)

6. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I've also seen assets on the store that say "requires this other asset to work". So if you can manage to make it compile in the editor without throwing errors if OpenCV is not included (and instructions on how to add it) that should also work.

kukewilly likes this.
  7. kukewilly

kukewilly

I could do that as well, totally. I'd have to segregate my modified code out which would take some time but definitely a solution that suits both parties. Thanks for suggesting!