Search Unity

Selling a game made with Unity Pro Trial

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kronholm, Mar 6, 2011.

1. kronholm

kronholm

Apologies if this has been asked before, I've searched but came up with nothing.

I can't afford Pro as of right now, so what I want to know, is if I'm allowed to sell / make money on a game for Android which has been created in the Unity Pro Trial. Of course I'd buy Pro as soon as I'm able, but until then.. Am I allowed?

Anyone have any insight?

2. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

3. EVO-Gaming

EVO-Gaming

can i just take the unity i have downloaded and then do the pro trial and make the unity a temp pro then when it exspires it just goes back to normal unity

4. ippdev

ippdev

Yes.

5. Artimese

Artimese

Cant see why not, then again nobody has to know you used pro right? Maybe follow up to one of the devs at UT.

6. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Doesn't the 30 day trial version also put a Trial message on the display somewhere too? (I'm not installing yet another version just to find out). Either buy Pro or stick with the free version and it's harmless logo, I don't think seeing Trial version written on screen would look very professional.

7. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

According to the official faq, you are NOT allowed to release a commercial game with a trial license.

"Our trial licenses are for getting to know Unity and assisting in making a purchase decision. Games made with our trial licenses may not be distributed nor used for commercial purposes. Instead, please use the free version of Unity to make, publish and sell Unity games. "

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

In addition the Trial has the startup logo and watermark showing up permanentely, these are not changeable in trial only the real license

9. kronholm

kronholm

Ok thanks guys, I will follow the FAQ then, although andeeee said the opposite :p

No Android games from me until I can afford it then :( Bit of a chicken/egg problem for me, but oh well.

10. Shojiki

Shojiki

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't most of the extra features in Pro just things such as advanced lighting and realistic water etc?

From a performance point of view, would you even want to include these features in an android game?

I assumed these features were designed more for standalone PC/Mac games?

As i said, correct me if i'm wrong :)

11. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Well no you wouldn't, but the pro trial is also an android trial now, so it would be the only way you could build out an android project at all.

12. raymix

raymix

@shojiki:
    multiplayer (basic has, mobile doesn't)
    build size stripping
    Static Batching! Seriously one of most important features for performance, i believe
    Occlusion Culling - yep say bye bye to it
    Profiler

/sigh

13. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

well, andeeee is an admin and he says there's no legal issues, but I'd double check on that anyway!

What if anyone could just do the game in unity free, and when they're ready to release they'd just ask for someone's computer to run the trial and build it with shadows and DOF?

14. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Well, there is the watermark which makes it blindly obvious you used the trial.

15. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Maybe there's a market for people with full Pro licenses to sell build time for free users, you send it, pay your money, they build it with all the pro extra's into your final version and send it back.

I suppose that's against the EULA though, being as it would be like printing money. :D

16. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

@Frank hmmm, I guess it against the EULA in the sense that you can't have unity free licenses working together with unity pro licenses!

17. Dreamora

Dreamora

Only if its a incorporated entity with both licenses, so eula technically it would not be illegal

but its just shaby, shady and sucky to betray your tech creator like this cutting money flow for future updates and I support any middleware developer voiding licenses for such semi-grayarea-illegal activities. Its one thing if you are hired to produce something buta whole different story if you are payed to help them circumvent pro licensing. (sure, they will pay you like 5 times anyway cuase the first 4 either run crap or don't look like they wanted cause they never saw it in action before)

18. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Wow, buzzkill :p

Really, I was joking, as I'm too lazy to do it (and it would mean using paypal, F*** that). BUT think about it.. What if Unity did it? All those indie users who'd like pro stuff in their game but can't afford Pro.. could afford a lesser amount to have Unity run a build of it for them (obviously more in depth than just that! Before somebody keys on just that far more simplified suggestion). It would at least fill the gap between pro and indie.

19. raymix

raymix

Can i pay someone with license to compile APK for me?
    Technically that would mean i still don't own it, but still selling the game? Would that be stealing or illegal?
    I know it's a bit off topic, but i guess it's still very related, just don't wanna spam forum making new threads, sorry for a hijack attempt

20. andeeeee

andeeeee

OK, I've removed my earlier post. You should regard the FAQ as the definitive statement on this matter, although I must admit I am surprised by it.

21. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

It's obviously a non-serious question. No one can sell a game with such lack of commitment! So there's no point to kronholm's question!