Search Unity

Self illuminated with transparency ?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by DoodleMonkey, Apr 10, 2008.

1. DoodleMonkey

DoodleMonkey

Can´t seem to find anything about this particular combination.

Want to use it for ingame GUI decal type of graphics.

The self-illum. does not have to be controlled by its own map - a tint controlling the intensity would be enough.

2. StarManta

StarManta

3. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

I might be missing something here, but I just use the built-in "Transparent/VertexLit" and turn the emmisive color up to 50%. You can control total transparency this way, as well, via the main color. It honors the alpha channel, has a variable self-illumination, and even does a "blown out" color if you put emmisive up above 50%.

4. DoodleMonkey

DoodleMonkey

Thx for the tips - the transp./vertex lit had slipped under my radar :)

Only negative side is the mentioned "blow out" of color in the diffuse map. It seems that one has to compromise between losing tonality in ones diffuse texture or getting a shader that is truly self-illum. without it being affected by scene lights.

Am I missing something here? If I could get 100 % self-illum. without blow out of colors (like seeing the texture in say photoshop) and with transparency - on objects in any light/ambient conditions - that would do the trick nicely.

5. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

I was under the impression that it was "accurate" at 50%. Haven't looked into it much though.

6. DoodleMonkey

DoodleMonkey

Turned main color and spec down to black and set emmisive to 50% - which did the trick. Newbee problems I guess - but thx non the less.

7. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

No problem. I'm not sure if this capability was added in a 2.0 version of this shader or what, but I don't remember it from early on. It's easy to overlook. That shader is very versatile. It'd be nice for it to be explored a bit in a tutorial somewhere or something.