Search Unity

Selective mesh rendering

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by gnhaines, Dec 17, 2017.

1. gnhaines

gnhaines

I'm trying to create a certain effect: Imagine something ethereal coming through a wall, with only the things this side of the wall visible. Now remove the wall, but still only show the parts of the "ghost" that are this side of the wall. That's the effect I'm going for. I don't have a clue how to go about creating this effect, does anyone have any advice? Is it possible to do entirely in unity?

Some additional information that may simplify problem:

The "ghost" doesn't necessarily have to have the same lighting as everything else.
    When the object is Instantiated, the area where the the object should not be rendered can be defined permanently, and can be defined as all the area on one side of an infinite plane.

2. mgear

mgear

theANMATOR2b and gnhaines like this.
  3. gnhaines

gnhaines

Thanks mgear, the first part looks like it could work very well! I'm keen to learn extra things when they come up though, so could you give me some pointers ont he second option too? Is it something I will learn naturally if I learn more about shaders?

4. mgear

mgear

gnhaines likes this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Reminds me of the Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie spirit effects. Cool!
    I have nothing else to add - other than learn up on shaders, either programming them, using amplify, shader forge or substance.