Search Unity

Selection Issues

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by shawnpigott, May 23, 2011.

1. shawnpigott

shawnpigott

I have a map with 4 different types of icons on it. On the top of the map there are buttons which allow you to choose which icon is displayed. I've written a script that stops rendering the non-chosen icons but they are still selectable as their colliders are still active. I tried disabling the whole Game Object but then I couldn't turn them back on. As far as I know, you can't turn on and off a collider so I'm a bit stumped. Any suggestions?

Code (csharp):
    1. function SetIcons () {
    2.     var AllIcons : BoxCollider[] = FindObjectsOfType(BoxCollider) as BoxCollider[];
    3.     for (var IconType : BoxCollider in AllIcons) {
    4.         if (IconType.gameObject.GetComponent.<MainMenuTapToGo>().whichIcon != WhichIconSet){
    5.             IconType.gameObject.renderer.enabled = false;
    6.         }
    7.         else{
    8.             IconType.gameObject.renderer.enabled = true;
    9.         }
    10.     }
    11. }

2. BlackGecko

BlackGecko

3. callahan.44

callahan.44

Keep a reference to the GameObject so you can turn it on/off, avoiding the Find methods that are slow and don't return inactive GameObjects.
    If you only want to disable Colliders you use Physics.IgnoreCollision.

4. shawnpigott

shawnpigott

Thanks for the suggestions. I probably should have mentioned that this script is for an iPhone. I was hoping that there might be a simple way to filter which information was displayed on the map so that it was possible to then select a specific item.

Using the above script, destroying the collider would result in the object being removed from the search criteria. I could probably search by script instead though.

An array of the objects would probably be the most efficient.

Are there find methods which return inactive objects?

I was thinking that I could possibly just shrink the size of the collider so that it's effectively off.

Thanks again.