Search Unity

Selecting multiple objects in unity editor

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by nsmith1024, Oct 12, 2016.

1. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Hello,

I have a complex scene where I have to move lots of objects around while editing the scene.

Is there a way I can use the mouse to select a region of objects in the "scene view" window, then be able to drag them to the desired position as a group?

It seems unity doesn't allow me to do that, when i try to select a region using the mouse by clicking and dragging to make a selection box around the items i want selected, they dont get selected.

Instead seems the only way to do it is by holding CTRL, and clicking on each object individually. This gets extremely tedious really fast when you have lots of tiny objects you want moved as a group.

Anybody knows why I cant just use the mouse to outline a region of objects in the "scene view" window, then drag them around like other programs allows me to do?

Thanks

2. mikael_juhala

mikael_juhala

Selecting objects in scene with a selection box works fine for me. Do your GameObjects have anything visible?

3. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Yes lots of visible, sometimes it works sometimes not!

4. Keepabee

Keepabee

The problem with Scene View selection box is that it doesn't seem to respect [SelectionBase] Attribute, instead selecting child objects with meshes or colliders willy-nilly, and if you're not careful and realize you are not selecting parent objects, you'll just be moving child local positions around insanely.

Anyone have a solution for box selection that would respect SelectionBaseAttribute or work similarly?

Example case: I have a huge floor object, covered by various level obstacle objects all over the place, and I'd like to select all obstacles and move them as a group - I can box select and then deselect the floor, except that the obstacles child objects are selected instead of obstacle root objects.

adsilcott likes this.
  5. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Sometimes i select something in the scene, and its not highlighted in the hierarchy, so you cant find it, i wonder why that happens?

6. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Has someone figured out how to deal with this?

7. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

I'd like to know too.. is there a setting I turned off?

Selecting things in unity is a game of chance, when there's allot of objects. I can't seem to drag select objects even when I've isolated them from other objects..

8. eovento

eovento

2020 and I would still love to do it :)

Hatsumey and mikelortega like this.
  9. thebuda

thebuda

I came here yesterday looking for an answer, figured it out later, and thought I'd share. The canvas was blocking me from selecting multiple objects. Either by CRTL-Click or Click-drag. In the top right, Layers dropdown, click the hide button on "5:UI".

10. Bloodyraw

Bloodyraw

Well done! Thanks :)

11. bobweisejr

bobweisejr

Right on this helped me too, thanks :)

12. Anil-Dev

Anil-Dev

Thank you
    #thebuda