Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Selected Visual Studio is missing required components and may not be able to build the generated...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by nyarsulik, Apr 25, 2018.

1. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

"Selected Visual Studio is missing required components and may not be able to build the generated project."

I recently had to reinstall VS and now my projects won't build. I am getting the error message on the Build Settings window but it doesn't actually say what I am missing. Image attached. Any ideas on how to find what is missing?

Trying to build to UWP
    Visual Studio 2017
    D3D
    SDK - 10.0.16299.0

Thanks!
    Nick

Attached Files:

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What happens when you press build? It should still spit out a Visual Studio solution, and when you open that in VS2017, it will tell you what's missing.

3. andrewsolis

andrewsolis

I too am having this issue, a solution would be helpful.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

^ It's merely a warning, not an error. It shouldn't prevent you from building your project.

5. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

I will double check, but I am 99% positive it didn't leave anything in the build folder after it completed. Loading Unity now and will try to build once more...

6. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

Looks like something else might be my problem. I'll check this out and see if I can figure it out. I missed the note about ProBuilder being included for free now, going to try to switch to that package and see if it helps.

Shader error in 'ProBuilder/Standard Vertex Color': syntax error: unexpected token ';' at line 288 (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with UNITY_PASS_FORWARDADD POINT_COOKIE LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  7. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

I still had a bunch of build errors after upgrading to the Package Manager version of ProBuilder, but it did still output the build in the folder this time. I don't see a way to "close" this thread, but I think it can probably be closed now. :) If I run into a different problem I will search or post again.

8. nyarsulik

nyarsulik

Final update, switching to 2018.2 and also switching to IL2CPP instead of .NET seemed to fix my issues. I was able to build and launch through VS2017 without any errors.

johndpalm likes this.
  9. raa88

raa88

Thanks for the updates

10. Elisson357

Elisson357

Thanks for Sharing This.

11. derHugo

derHugo

Hey everybody

I had the same warning in the build settings using Unity 2018.3.4f1 and IL2CPP

what fixed it for me was opening the Visual Studio 2017 Installer

hit Modify

and additionally select the Optional Package
    C++ Universal Windows Platform tools
    from
    Universal Windows Platform development
    for install

(had to restart Unity after installing it to make the warning disappear)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  12. nuxvomo

nuxvomo

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to do :)

Vesooo likes this.
  13. stephenl_unity

stephenl_unity

@YoloJero You absolute hero. Thank you for posting this fix

14. monsterbluesHome

monsterbluesHome

15. unity_u0IWAeNJN9-O3Q

unity_u0IWAeNJN9-O3Q

16. kang630

kang630

error has been solve Thank You ! you is my hero

17. pamelacook

pamelacook

This worked for me running Unity 2019.4.0f1 & Visual Studio 2019.

18. komodor

komodor

thx YoloJero

19. eelledge

eelledge

Two years later and it still fixed the problem. Thank you.

20. Arik_Cool

Arik_Cool

This Works!! The easiest solution also!! Just click Modify and install the things and reopen unity! Problem Will go away like COVID 19! Thanks, A Lot God

21. Arik_Cool

Arik_Cool

This Works!! The easiest solution also!! Just click Modify and install the things and reopen unity! Problem Will go away like COVID 19! Thanks, A Lot God

22. ssedlmayr

ssedlmayr

I tried the trick with installing missing packages in the VS installer. While this did remove the warning in the Unity editor, it still did not resolve the issue of the executable not running, after failing with a warning involving missing assemblies (although the exact assemblies changed slightly after updating the UWP packages in the VS installer).

However, I found a head-smacking solution, that I haven't seen anyone else mention in this or the many other threads about this issue, and I haven't seen it mentioned in the docs either. In the build folder, Unity produces a UWPPlayerLauncher.exe alongside your executable (this is for the executable only option--not sure for D3D). This seems to be a native wrapper for the UWP executable. If you launch this, instead of your executable, it seems to run normally. This seems like an obvious thing to put in the documentation for this build target.