Search Unity

Selected rectangular area light but disc in scene

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Undume, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Undume

Undume

Is it a bug? I didnt find anything about it in google or the forum. Am I doing something wrong or is it what is supposed to be?

Version: 2020.3.12f1.590.2 Personal
    Revision: 2020.3/release b3b2c6512326
    URP Version 10.5.1

Screenshot 2021-09-08 195330.png Screenshot 2021-09-08 195340.png

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Increase the Range value.

3. Undume

Undume

I tried it but it keeps doing the same as you can see in the image, btw I tried different ranges and intensities and all of them do the same. All of it over a cube gameobject with lit urp material.

Reimporting the urp package could fix that? I mean, is it in this package?

Screenshot 2021-09-09 114524.png

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  4. Undume

Undume

• Updated from version 2020.3.12f1 to 2020.3.18f1.
    • Tried to set it to disc and baked, then back to rectangular and baked
    • Remade the /Library
    • Tried it in a fresh scene in the same project
    • Tried it in a fresh project
    Still the same, no fix yet.
    What could I try now?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  5. Undume

Undume

I tried it in a fresh project and still the same, im sending a bug report. I will tell you in case someone is interested.
    Screenshot 2021-09-09 152133.png

6. Undume

Undume

Is the light component from the URP package?
    Asking that because I want to try to delete it from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Unity\cache and redownload again and cross fingers.

Still no response from bug tracking when I sent the full project last week :(

7. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Customer QA might be slammed with work. Please post the bug ID here, we'll take a look ourselves.

Edit: customer QA is currently investigating the case, and they have reached out to us.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Undume likes this.
  8. Undume

Undume

"Thank you for your suggestion. We have identified this issue as a Usability problem and have sent it to the product team for consideration."

9. Undume

Undume

I updated the project to the last 2020 version and the error still there. Is there something that we could do to fix it? Force it with an script? Delete everything, client, package cache?
    Idk what to do and we are close to publish :/

10. rasmusn

rasmusn

Unity Technologies

Hi Undume,

Perhaps you already know this, but to be sure we are on the same page let me first clarify something. The appearance of a square area light (or almost square) onto a surface, will tend toward a circle as you move the square light away from the surface. This is expected and it is how light works in the real world. I show this in the attached ani2.gif.

The reason you see a circle with a sharp boundary in your project is probably due to the range parameter. I believe this range in terms of the distance from the light "center" position. Therefore, as you reduce this range we should expect a circle to appear on the "floor". I show this is attached "ani3.gif". The reason the pixel outside the sphere is dark is simple because the distance to that lightmap texel is greater than the light's current range.

Therefore, I think our implementation is working as expected in this case. That said, you could very argue that this behaviour is confusing but that is different from saying that it is outright wrong.

With the above in mind, do you still think this is an error/bug per se? Thanks for your input!

Perhaps, what you really need in your project is a sort of "orthographic projected area light" (sort of like a laser pointer, but larger and rectangular) where the shape of the light source is maintained even as the distance grows. I don't think such light source could exist in the real world (although you could try to approximate it) and it is not something Unity currently supports.

Attached Files:

K_kizaki likes this.
  11. Undume

Undume

Nope, I really wanted to do this effect. At my OP I asked if I was doing it wrong and how to do it with the area light.

Thanks to solve it, now I see that I have to put the area light almost touching the surface to light.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    rasmusn likes this.
  12. matrixcodesys

matrixcodesys

i think unity need to hire unreal team for better lighting tips cuz lighting in unity has tons of bugs with zero quality