Search Unity

Feature Request Selectable and editable elements in UI Toolkit Debugger

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by IndieForger, Dec 2, 2022.

1. IndieForger

IndieForger

UI Toolkit Debugger is already great as is. It is great to see all improvements as they come in.
    It almost feels bad to suggest anything new. That being said I would like to propose couple of (possibly related) features (1) selection and (2) edit mode.

Adjusting element class names is super easy using UI Builder when working in isolation on specific component. However, when debugging sizable size tree with multiple components, going back and forth is quite tedious.

Feature 1 - Selection

I would like to suggest allowing class selection, so we can copy them directly from the debugger. Being able to select whole element would be even better (see feature 2 below). Currently when trying to replicate element behaviour we have to switch between UI Toolkit Debugger and UI Builder (or code editor), manually retyping class names. While it is not a problem for item or two it does slow development when working with larger components containing multiple elements.

Being able to select them would be a massive improvement to UI development workflow.

Selecting an element from the tree currently updates right hand side pane with details for a given items, so perhaps it would be easier to enable selection from "Classes" section on the right as shown below.

upload_2022-12-2_15-51-19.png

To make it even more robust I would like to suggest the next feature...

Feature 2 - Editing

It would be amazing if we could have a way to quickly modify class names or add/remove classes directly from the debugger window, similar to how it can be done for example using developer tools in a chrome browser. Double click any HTML element or its attribute (eg. class, id, style, etc.) entry changes to "edit mode" allowing modification directly from the the tree.

Spending years in web application development I can not emphasise enough how much (1) it speeds up debugging process an (2) helps with UI development. Being able to quickly "hack" things on the fly and simply grab the result and paste it back into the editor allows to move way faster compared to alt-tab-ing between applications/windows.

Attached Files:

oscarAbraham likes this.