Search Unity

Select childobjects parent from hierarchy in Unity 5.3.0f1

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by rotor-games, Nov 23, 2015.

1. rotor-games

rotor-games

I noticed that in 5.3.0f1, when you're browing the hierarchy and you press the left arrow key, rather than selecting the parent gameobject of the selected item, it will now select the item above the selected item (the same functionality as pressing the up arrow key).

My scenes contain a lot of gameobjects with prefabs in them that I copy around, it's a much missed functionality for me already after nearly a week's use.

John3D and Martian-Games like this.
  2. Mads-Nyholm

Mads-Nyholm

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    This change is actually intended. It makes it possible to collapse an entire tree by keeping left arrow pressed, as it will traverse upwards and collapsing the items on the way... and similar for right arrow: expand the tree by holding the right arrow key down.
    I want to understand your use case better. What exactly did you do by jumping to the parent gameobject?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  3. rotor-games

rotor-games

Hi Mads,

One example: since there is no support for nestled prefabs, we create sets of prefabs and place these in a gameobject as building blocks. Then this gameobject gets copied around the level. When I'd like to move a building block, I'd select a prefab from the scene view (the parent gameobject has no geometry of its own), then press left arrow in the hierarchy to 'quickly' select the gameobject to move/rotate the whole bunch around.

I'm working on 150-250 mb scenes with many tens of thousands of gameobjects, these are almost all placed by hand.

rtalerico89 and Martian-Games like this.