Search Unity

Segments Expire? How to track lifetime statistics?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Doddler, May 25, 2017.

1. Doddler

Doddler

One thing I was hoping to use unity analytics for was to track lifetime statistics of my application. I created segments to track the information I wanted, but noticed now after a few months after release that these statistics (such has installs per platform) are decreasing. The documentation doesn't mention any time limits to data collected by segments, but given the default "all current users" segment says it tracks only 90 days and has no custom rule for it, I'm guessing segments actually only track the last 90 days. If that's true, that means that the data I want from our launch is gone, and I have no way of looking it up other than parsing the raw data myself.

So the question is, if segments are expiring, how do I use analytics to track lifetime statistics? Am I forced to download the log of events and do all of the processing manually? That would involve generating dumps and downloading each and every day's data since launch. That wouldn't be a huge deal, but there's also no way to download more than a single days data at a time, you have to download each individual days data separately (and more than once if you want custom and login data, for example)... a huge and tedious process. This feels like a bit of an oversight.

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Doddler,

The dashboard is primarily focused on tracking active users. For a user to be considered active they must have played your game within the past 90 days. If they have not played for over 90 days then they will be removed from your active users.

As you said, all of that data will be available in Raw Data Export. At Unite LA 2016, one of our RDE customers presented a tool they developed to expedite the download process. He released the source on github, so you might want to take a look:
    https://github.com/shinyshoe/ua2sql

Extracting Value from Unity Analytics Raw Data Export