Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

SEGI (Fully Dynamic Global Illumination)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sonicether, Jun 10, 2016.

1. kite3h

kite3h

I tested Cascade GI . IIt covered GI in 1 km, Farther areas don't care whether it applies or not. It is really cool.

RB_lashman likes this.
  2. castor76

castor76

What is this cascade gi you are talking about?

RB_lashman likes this.
  3. razzraziel

razzraziel

4. Mauri

Mauri

Probably meant SEGI (Cascaded):
    Image Effects/Sonic Ether/SEGI (Cascaded)

5. jammer42777

jammer42777

I have decided to throw caution to the wind. I'm going to try to use segi to cobble together a very simple and short. space ship based fps.

This should be interesting.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  6. jefferytitan

jefferytitan

So... constructive criticism. I'm not sure how appropriate a space ship scenario is for SEGI. If you're in space, there's nothing for GI to bounce off. If you're in a confined space, I'd imagine you're travelling so fast you'd outrun your GI. I may be wrong, just don't want to see anyone use their time poorly. ;)

RB_lashman likes this.
  7. tweedie

tweedie

Regardless of whether SEGI is appropriate for his spaceship game - they're some poor assumptions, and your first comment isn't really true.

The spaceship interior will bounce light. The intensity of bright star light through a window will display some very attractive bounce lighting around any incident surfaces. I would say this is one of the best ways to demonstrate the effect of GI. Spaceship corridors in games are also often dark / lit by few sources (particularly in thriller / horror games), so any bounce lighting is particularly pronounced. The team behind Alien Isolation developed their own GI solution designed specifically for this purpose:

If you're firing laser blasters down a low-lit spaceship corridor, you'd get some amazing benefits from a local GI solution.

It isn't uncommon for space games to simulate the ship as a static object / the "local world", and manipulate other things around that, in which case you can configure the GI volume around the ship and you won't "outrun" the GI. Either way- if you don't use some kind of local-space workaround here, you'd be more likely to run into bounds / volume issues as you move through the vast expanse of space.

Anyway, that's just to say, GI could be incredibly appopriate for a spaceship game.

Acissathar, pcg, konsic and 1 other person like this.
  8. jefferytitan

jefferytitan

I may have misread his post, I was imagining someone piloting a small ship, not wandering around in a large ship. Based on that I envisioned just seeing space and a small portion of the cockpit you're sitting in. I'm not going to dispute the other points because they all flow on from that.

RB_lashman and tweedie like this.
  9. neoshaman

neoshaman

IF it's a small cockpit, a single low rez reflection cubemap, retroprojected, and updated in real time, might do the trick good enough.

Even zelda BOTW basically just do a single cubemap, updated in real time, just above the player character, and that's an entire open world game!

RB_lashman likes this.
  10. Abuthar

Abuthar

Maybe it's too much to cover, but I am running a skin shader that is deferred but using forward cameras for depth. At least i think that's how that works. Anyway, how can i make it this shader works with SEGI? Reflections work but otherwise GI and emission have no effect on these objects.

RB_lashman likes this.
  11. konsic

konsic

How to do this in Unity ?

RB_lashman likes this.
  12. neoshaman

neoshaman

flogel, konsic and RB_lashman like this.
  13. jammer42777

jammer42777

It would be a game where you are in a spaceship trying to fight your way from one end to the other

RB_lashman likes this.
  14. Tbarthelemy

Tbarthelemy

Does anyone know, how I can change the quality of the reflection's rendertexture in Segi ? I took the last version on github. I saw that changing the voxel resolution change it, but I have mirror and the resolution is not really good enough. I was looking for the script's part that handle that, but I never really worked with render texture and couldn't find the answer :/

RB_lashman likes this.
  15. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

This is, unfortunately, a limitation of traditional path tracing.

Tbarthelemy and RB_lashman like this.
  16. Tbarthelemy

Tbarthelemy

Arff too bad :/
    Thx for your fast answer Ninlilizi ;)

RB_lashman likes this.
  17. ExtinguisHumans

ExtinguisHumans

When I added SEGI(Script) to my camera, I couldn't check the box, so it didn't work. :( Any solutions?

RB_lashman likes this.
  18. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

If you're on my fork. Then add it as a posteffect2 effect, not by dropping on the camera... Though it's pretty ugly and I moved to my own GI that has now become this because of a total rewrite being necessitated.

If your running SE's original code. Then you'll have to supply the error information in the console so we can advise.

19. ExtinguisHumans

ExtinguisHumans

Errors.png
    I'm not sure if the "RenderTextures" errors are from SEGI.

RB_lashman likes this.
  20. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

I don't recognise those texture formats. What platform are you running on?

RB_lashman likes this.
  21. Oniros88

Oniros88

I didnt see your own GI till now! I have a few questions!

-Can be used in a comercial project? If I get profit I will make sure to donate, A dynamic GI solution is one of the things we need the most

-Does it require light probes or is it completely "free" like SEGI?

-How is light leaking/bouncing? We don't need some super fancy looking light system: Just be able to bounce light from sources so shadows arent completely black, and be able to isolate rooms so give the necesary conditions we can have pitch dark zones (for example a room with a shut door and lights off)

-Does it handle reflections? We have probes + SSR but would be nice to get rid of the probes too

-Is the update controllable? We don't need for it to update every frame or something, Just every few seconds for time of day/weather, when some door opens or light gets toggled or if we have any scenery that dynamically transforms or in which big elements move sometimes.

-How much distance does it support? We had major problems with SEGI, cascaded version didn't work at all and we had to choose between huge leaks or reasonable distance

-Which lights does it support? Can you for example get good interior lighting just trough emissive materials if dynamic shadows arent needed on moving objects instead of having to set up "real" unity lights?

Thanks a lot. I ask these questions because we have to finish first some other things and can't get to try this GI solution yet.

RB_lashman likes this.
  22. ExtinguisHumans

ExtinguisHumans

Unity 2018.3.11f1 Personal - [PREVIEW PACKAGES IN USE] - GameScene.unity - (Project name here) - PC, Mac & Linux Standalone (Personal) <OpenGL 4.1>

I am also working on a Mac.

RB_lashman likes this.
  23. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

Sorry. If it's a mac I really don't know where to even begin.
    I don't have access to such exotic devices and have never known anyone else who does either.

Though, I notice the <OpenGL 4.1> ... So, I guess the thing that is missing is OpenGL compatibility. That SEGI fork is DirectX only. Nigiri is also DirectX only at this point. If you really need OpenGL compatibility adding to anything. Then we'd need to collaborate more closely than a forum provides and figure out some arrangement for that use of my time.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    RB_lashman likes this.
  24. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

The short answer. If your willing to donate. Your welcome to request any exact features you desire. If I'm going to budget time anywhere, the place that allows me to eat or pay bills is going to be preferential.

The more detailed answers:
    * No light-probes. It's 'free' in the same way SEGI provides vis emissions.
    * Leaking is much less of a problem than SEGI when properly configured. But it's not perfect.
    * Reflections. Not yet, though the regularity I'm asked for reflections, it won't ever be forgotten.
    * Updates, will be controllable, with quite some granularity, including support for masking. So won't waist cycles on stuff hidden by HUDs or whatever. Though, the resolve time for major scene changes I aim to keep under 1/4 second. But work is spread across frames and it's designed to keep the data building as controllable as possible to avoid frame pacing issues.
    * Distance, support for huge outdoor scenes is important to me. I need that in my own project. The design will always keep that in mind.
    * Lights, pretty much limited to emissions at this point. Shadow masking is lifted from main directional lights generated shadow map. The reason for this choice was to avoid multiplication of draw-calls by having to perform an additional scene render to generate our own.

A lot of the design choices had one key principle in mind. Work with what we already have to absolutely minimise the need for additional scene renders. It's a major reason this is usable in VR and some people have had it specific builds running on even intel integrated graphics. SEGI performs I think it's +3 complete scene renders per frame to get what it needs, it's a major source of its weight.

I don't have a production-ready build yet. The repo is a checkpoint before moving onto the next stage of development. The goal is to have a usable in an actual project release by this summer. When that comes, I'll stop with the covert nerdiness and throw open a thread of its own to officially announce it to the world.

tl;dr I didn't abandon GI. Just evolved and shooting for something worth actually showing off before I waste anyone of anyone time.

25. Oniros88

Oniros88

Thanks for such a detailed reply!

RB_lashman likes this.
  26. ExtinguisHumans

ExtinguisHumans

Thank you very much!

RB_lashman likes this.
  27. Tbarthelemy

Tbarthelemy

Hello !
    Does any of you already had a bug with a custom shader (deferred of course). The bug is that the mesh doesn't get calculated in the voxel GI (I can see it in the voxel gi debug view) a standard shader, at least shows me the color of the mesh in the calculation of the voxel but when I just plugged a new shader, similar to a standard (with ASE) it doesn't get calculated and I have many flickering due to that :/

If anyone had a similar case I'm all ears. Knowing that even a simple dithering shader made with ASE works fine, but if I change some name in the shader I obtain the same problem...

RB_lashman likes this.
  28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Yah that happens to me too when I made a custom shader and idk why either... in fact it doesn't like any kind of gi, voxel or ssgi.

RB_lashman likes this.
  29. Tbarthelemy

Tbarthelemy

I find the answer on page 39 @florianalexandru05
    It's due to the name of our variable in the shader. Segi does a shader replacement and for the emissive and albedo. So we have to name it like unity so for my albedo I had to name it : _MainTex

30. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Awesome, thanks for figuring that out!! It helps alot.

Anyway, still trying out different mixed real time lighting techniques. First is default Unity viewport, second SEGI and third SSRT. What one looks better? It's pretty hard to get something close to production quality as they have their weaknesses. I might try Unity's pre-computed and SSRT on top, I noticed it fixes the lighting and adds nice contact shadows. SEGI produces too blocky shadows!

screen_3840x1818_2020-03-04_16-25-04.jpg

Attached Files:

RB_lashman likes this.
  31. neoshaman

neoshaman

That's how you are supposed to do, mix the various technique, of course segi will produce blacky shadows, it's using chunky voxel! That's how you get real time, ruthlessly approximating. Even actual hardware ray tracing will need some hacks.

32. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I think I'm on to something with pre-computed and SSRT gives me pretty good contact shadows and GI. I made a path trace render test and it's pretty close to this kinda. I would rather have this instead of the Box shadows now. Voxels don't work very well in nature, if you want to get accurate shadows out of it but SEGI would be best in interiors instead.

screen_3840x1818_2020-03-05_20-23-042.jpg

Baldinoboy and RB_lashman like this.
  33. neoshaman

neoshaman

Think more in term of image frequency, voxel are the low frequency, you need other technique to capture the high frequency.

34. LapidistCubed

LapidistCubed

Does anyone know how to get SEGI compatible with transparent materials, if possible?

I'm trying to create a depth mask right now for fake holes, and the only way to get the depth mask to work in deferred rendering is to put it on Geometry+502, which I believe is the transparency buffer. (Edit: I misspoke. It seems this is the AlphaClip buffer, according to Unity.)

SEGI lights are not lighting these objects, which is a bit of a problem. Also, any form of glass in the game does not light with SEGI either, due to its transparent nature.

I would just switch over to forward so I could use to stencil buffer properly without needing to transition the whole thing to Geometry+502, but deferred is needed so that SEGI will even work in the first place.

Been trying to solve this issue for months now, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 at 5:10 AM
    RB_lashman likes this.
unityunity