Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SEGI (Fully Dynamic Global Illumination)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sonicether, Jun 10, 2016.

1. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I think the ProBuilder dev was using Scene-View FX for his video. Not sure how it compares to BeholdR on how close it renders in-editor vs in-game.

Lex4art and RB_lashman like this.
  2. ForceX

ForceX

This is epic! Insta buy. Unity just got a lot more interesting.

RB_lashman likes this.
  3. SteveB

SteveB

If that's the case, it did look much better then than BeholdR hmmm...

RB_lashman likes this.
  4. GMM

GMM

Just a short video of a Sponza scene i set up and animated with SEGI enabled. The video is a bit choppy due to the screen recording, but generally i get 45-50 fps at 1920x1080 on my Nvidia GTX TITAN.

RB_lashman and chiapet1021 like this.
  5. SteveB

SteveB

...okay never mind. Scene and Game view are identical with BeholdR. Not sure why The Courtyard wasn't matching as there were no other effects on the camera beyond SEGI...

SEGIBeholdRSame.JPG

RB_lashman and chiapet1021 like this.
  6. neoshaman

neoshaman

It would be cool to have a video in real game situation (moving objects and all) to see the severity of artifact!

7. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

You can see it in the low-poly demo, if you pick up a tree and move it. Unless that demo is different now from the one Sonic released previously.

RB_lashman likes this.
  8. ronjart

ronjart

I bought this today. Great to finally see this asset in action! I'm only doing VR development so I'm hoping for more optimizations in that area as well as support for the forward renderer. Still happy to support the dev at this stage. Onward!

RB_lashman likes this.
  9. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

How do you use it with Time of Day?

Cascho01 likes this.
  10. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

impressive work!!!

RB_lashman likes this.
  11. eskovas

eskovas

Congratulations @sonicether !!
    Gonna have to get this asap :) Love playing with new technology. This is more exciting than a new game release :D

RB_lashman likes this.
  12. Cascho01

Cascho01

Here´s a very basic Webplayer-example:

WEBPLAYER - you can set the sun position with a slider, and disable SEGI......

After some minutes of playing with SEGI I don´t see any conflicts with TimeOfDay.
    But using a Cubemap for the sky is not being supported - yet!

As you can see light from emissive spheres goes through geometry.
    By adjusting "Near Occlusion Strength" I can´t eliminate this fully.

DuncanIdaho, chingwa, pcg and 2 others like this.
  13. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Could you share your settings? Because mine doesn't seem to react like that at all. In fact emissive elements don't glow (affect GI) at all, and turning on "Do Reflections" breaks the whole thing in that it makes the entire screen 100% white.

Also I noticed what you said about cubemaps, and time of day uses a self created and managed cubemap to manage its reflections.

So far with my own experimentation, on low settings SEGI crushes my FPS from 55 down to 20.

14. Cascho01

Cascho01

First I have HDR enabled (not necessary for SEGI) and also added Bloom.
    Then I just followed the UserGuide.pdf (Deferred, Linear, Disable UnityGI,.....).
    It´s the original "High"-Preset.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    S4G4N and RB_lashman like this.
  15. mkgm

mkgm

Hello ladies and gentlemen...

Did you do your home work?
    Did you write a review in the USA?

If not, please do it.

Lets give our support to Cody!!!

S4G4N and RB_lashman like this.
  16. blackbird

blackbird

the company i working for bought this asset and test on current gen console and the framerate is below 6 not really what i hoped

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  17. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

@Cascho01 lol your webplayer demo says 60FPS in the corner even though in reality it chugs along very slowly, the 60FPS label is not actually representative of the FPS

18. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

There has been plenty of warning, both before the beta release and on the current asset store page and website, that explains current performance expectations and planned optimizations.

I'm not sure if it's feasible to expect this solution, even post-optimization, to perform all that well on current consoles. Maybe once baking is in place, or at least not revoxelizing while the scene is static.

spraycanmansam and RB_lashman like this.
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Current gen consoles are basically multi core laptops designed to run at low power and as quiet as possible for as long as possible. Have people forgotten this? :)

Brity, Martin_H, IronDuke and 2 others like this.
  20. neoshaman

neoshaman

My computer is older than that (run darksider2 old version at 720p without ambient occlusion, anything above chugs) and run at least at 9fps ...

21. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

Just a quick test for the visual differences.

22. chingwa

chingwa

@nxrighthere The Unity GI version seems to have a greater dynamic range. The results seem pretty close though and considering the lack of setup involved with SEGI seems like it could be a winner. Will SEGI pick up an Environment Skybox if the camera is set not to render it?

RB_lashman likes this.
  23. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

24. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

chingwa and RB_lashman like this.
  25. bocs

bocs

Tried the demo, looks great to start off...but seems to have a memory leak.

After awhile, my screen will turn black with only the cursor showing...requires a hard reset

Start:

I can speed the process by pressing 2 3 to switch presets back and forth
    *It uses up System Ram and GPU ram
    Just before it "Blacks out"..every turns white

This system specs:
    Windows 10, 24 gigs Ram, Nvidia 690gtx (364.72 driver)
    *I have an 8gig ram drive which is why the system ram starts at ~12gig

pic of GPU

26. sonicether

sonicether

Please contact me with more details so we can get this bug figured out.

Yeah, that was a problem I found after I compiled the demos but before I submitted it to the Asset Store. So, the problem shouldn't exist in the Asset Store version. I just forgot to recompile the demos after I made the fix :p

RB_lashman and blueivy like this.
  27. localhost

localhost

Only seems to work with one camera. if i have a second camera which is set to depth only (to render a weapon for example), it doesn't seem to show, unless you disable the depth camera.

28. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

This is what happens when reflections are turned on. I've tried every combination of settings and they have almost the same result, high, low, things on, things off. I'm running the ideal setup; Dx11, Deferred Unity 5.3.4, linear, etc so dunno why this would be an issue.

My issues are mostly related to Time of Day and that SEGI doesn't really support it yet. Having support for the cubemap could be helpful, but the main thing is that the "sky color" and intensity are set and don't change even when you're in the middle of the night, resulting in bright blue terrain at night. A simple script addition that makes the color of this value actually sample the sky color would be a huge help.

John-G likes this.
  29. ForceX

ForceX

@localhost : Have you tried using a different shader that use I think (ZTest Always & ZWrite Off) to draw the weapons on top for your equipped weapons. This way you will not need a second camera. If a weapon is not equipped ie on the ground then use a normal shader.

RB_lashman likes this.
  30. x4000

x4000

I'm glad to have purchased it, but I'm holding off on a review for now. The performance on my GTX980M is decent in the test scene, but in geometry-intensive scenes in my own game it grinds me down to about 30fps (and not a smooth 30, either) instead of a usual 60.

Worse, it doesn't really make all that much of a difference in my scenes simply because the sky directional light is pretty outnumbered by the other lights in the scene. I thought that having the sky light on but also having other lights (that all also have HDR strongly emissive materials) would yield a pretty cool result even if that wasn't ideal, but actually it kind of washes out my scenes and doesn't do much else.

Clearly this works super well for a lot of kinds of scenes, and I look forward to experimenting with this further in the future after it has more updates in particular. I feel like this sort of thing is the future of lighting, knock on wood, so I'm happy to be here early.

31. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

@x4000, does it look any better without the point and spot lights and just relying on object emission? I'm certainly looking forward to point and spot light support as well.

Also, what about using the low-poly proxy objects for voxelization contribution, and then only rendering the high-poly objects for receiving GI? I recognize that adds complexity to the workflow, but it theoretically should help with performance. Even with all the roadmap items on the way, I wonder if using low-poly proxies will always be something most developers will want to use to eek out as much in performance savings they can for such a processing-intensive solution.

32. x4000

x4000

I'm not sure; it's surprisingly ineffectual in the unity editor on my current setup. The demo scene works, so I know I'm doing something wrong. My framerate actually tanks without this on, incidentally, so it's not this that is the problem. I run DX11 fine, but the unity editor has always been flaky for me in that mode; when I get a chance I need to try this in a standalone build and see what I can do there.

Good idea on the simpler geometry for the GI calcs. I notice it's set up so that one can do that, which is nice. Definitely an extra pain, and I'm unsure how much it would give in terms of gains given the methods being used here (on further reflection), but it might help some.

RB_lashman likes this.
  33. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

I am really looking forward to buying this masterpiece! But before doing that, can someone confirm GI working on OpenGL (setting opengl core renderer as top priority or launching unity with -force-glcore argument)? Because one of post process effects cause purple screen in the demos and I could not really test the effect. On -force-d3d9, though, no purple screen, but GI is forced off (understandable).

34. Mauri

Mauri

DivergenceOnline likes this.
  35. FPires

FPires

I'm pretty sure that with enough time, effort and dedication you can make amazing stuff running on consoles/mobile. There are people who dedicate literally decades over refining solutions and algorithms to make things run smooth in ancient consoles and produce demo scenes whose graphic capabilities far exceed those of its time. So yeah, sure, somewhere there's an amazing project pushing the boundaries of what you can do in a certain system.

That still doesn't mean it's realistic to expect some stuff. You don't expect an out-of-the-shelf dynamic lighting system to work on consoles unless it explicitly advertises that, you don't expect a mobile game to support 4xSSAA, etc.

The fact that there are ground-breaking projects don't change the fact that what hippocoder said is true.

RB_lashman likes this.
  36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

37. Ryunis

Ryunis

It's a DX11 shader, just read the description, it's not that hard...

RB_lashman likes this.
  38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity's metal support is coming along nicely, be able to do all sorts of compute wizardy sooner or later, and SonicEther will no doubt port to it when it's right to do so...

RB_lashman and amasinton like this.
  39. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

That's not that clear. It was written in unity shader language, so it *should* generate OpenGL code too. It requires features which are only available since version 11 of directx, but all the required features also exist in OpenGL (since version 4.3). That's what I am asking for. It should theoretically work on OpenGL (not talking about mac, they are terrible at OpenGL), but the demos include some post process effects which don't work nicely with OpenGL thus rendering the whole viewport purple without having an ability to see if GI is functional.
    Just please, someone with access to the asset try if it works when the renderer is set to opengl core (and by disabling all post processing effects if it doesn't work with them).

40. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

What is this banding artifact and is it related to SEGI? The artifact is reduced in the second image as the camera centers on the area. Screenshot (126).png Screenshot (127).png

41. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

To be fair, a PS4 has a GPU inbetween a gtx 950 and 960, which is about a gtx 965m. In FLOPS, that is. Having memory shared between cpu/gpu, gaming-focused OS / drivers, a 8-core with low power/core and precise, known specs all make for interesting options to optimize. If the PS4 is a laptop, that's a rather good gaming laptop.

42. thanhle

thanhle

It not support For Mac OS ?

43. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

No, this GI solution requires features found since version 4.3 of OpenGL. But apple decided to update OpenGL library to just 4.1. Also, it is not even that clear if OpenGL even after 4.3 works with this as no one has tested it (or doesn't confirm ot deny that in this topic) yet.
    However things are looking better since Metal API becomes more and more advanced. Probably in a year or two it will work.

44. Skolstvo

Skolstvo

Could we keep this thread on topic? I know we all despise Apple and their hate of open real-time graphics.

45. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

It really is on topic. A guy asked if it works on O̶S̶X̶ MacOS and I answered the question telling why.

46. Cascho01

Cascho01

Oh yes, the script upon the text wasn´t active! The webplayer is updated now. Thanks!

47. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Hmmm.

Can't use it. Currently.

The FPS drop is just too severe. We're talking about going from 55 to 28 on the absolute lowest settings obtainable in SEGI, where the voxels are the size of cars. Why, do you ask? 100% pure terrain/trees. Such a shame because I was really looking forward to pushing this to live but it'll have until SE finds a way to prevent it from drawing every single thing on every single frame.
    6f2510aa03cf0d0bbbe584a5b156d8de.jpg

48. Skolstvo

Skolstvo

RB_lashman likes this.
  49. thanhle

thanhle

@ TheDiamondPlay : Thank you ! for reply

I think just "direction light" will effect on the scene only ... ( because it connect to setting of plugin in camera )
    The "point light" and "Spotlight" will really bad in the scene... it will not match with GI in camera

solution "point light " will be replace by the sphere and apply material " glow" to it

but the Spotlight .... no have any solution ......

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  50. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Like I said previously, trees are automatically put on the terrain layer during runtime so there's no way to mask them out like that, and the problem isn't my game, the problem is SEGI redrawing everything every single frame and punishing games with any level of geometric complexity post 1995.

And even if that path did work, I can't spend my time making a "dummy version" of every single tree and object in the game. The first person proposing that "expecting SEGI to work in games that have trees is something that wasn't anticipated" and is "asking for extra" is going to be corrected.

During the previous year and a half cycle of development, I was politely told to shut my face by the same un-named Unity moderator repeatedly simply for saying that web players of scenes made exclusively out of squares, cones, and spheres in scenes about 20m in size, with an FPS counter in the top displaying 10x the FPS that i knew very well it was getting (any chimp knows 15fps when they see it even if it says 60) were not evidence that the system was, in fact, usable in actual games.

Not exactly hatespeak and any reasonable person would agree. Not even real criticism, just observation. In the end, I've still bought every single thing SE has ever made because it's quality stuff and i probably will continue to do so. But his other two products went a year without an update to make SEGI possible. So yes. I do in fact expect it to work in games with trees and without extra surgery.

Bugs, i'm 100% willing to wait for them to be fixed. Patiently. Quietly. I believe SEGI is worth it, which is why i haven't written a review yet. It's beta, he says it's beta, it's in the name of the item, get over it.
    Extra features like voxel cascades - 100% willing to wait for them. Patiently. Quietly.
    Support for the most common day/night system available to Unity (ToD) - 100% willing to wait for. Patiently. Quietly.

Those are extra things.

Game scenes larger than 20m and containing trees? Those are simply not extra things.

Synopsis: Good work so far. Even despite the fact that turning reflections on breaks the entire thing for me, and the crushed FPS prevents me from deploying it in our live game, I still don't regret my purchase and would probably have paid even more. Looking forward to the next updates :)