Search Unity

SEGI (Fully Dynamic Global Illumination)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sonicether, Jun 10, 2016.

1. SteveB

SteveB

Comparable to a 960...6 FPS seems very low...unless you're trying it on the highest quality level

2. Kombiice

Kombiice

How long do you expect the beta phase to be?

3. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

i cant wait to add this to my wishlist ha ha.

4. mkgm

mkgm

This waiting it's killing me slowly :confused:

RB_lashman likes this.
  5. eskovas

eskovas

I bet Unity staff is having fun testing this asset and finding out how he did his technique :D

Pecek, ksam2, Lex4art and 3 others like this.
  6. Cascho01

Cascho01

Hopefully they do find out or even better they hire him immediately.
    Didn´t they already hire another hero from us?

one_one, pcg, eskovas and 2 others like this.
  7. mkgm

mkgm

The salary negotiation it's taking too much :p

8. ksam2

ksam2

Unity guys scare to accept this asset on the asset store cause they know Unity GI staff will be fire after this :D
    Nothing is more useless that Unity GI in the world! it's exist you can see it but you can't use it.

DivergenceOnline and RB_lashman like this.
  9. mkgm

mkgm

Unity's GI... it's exist you can see it but you can't use it.

Awful truth :p

10. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Eighteen days homies.

Something's up.

Only two possible explanations; Either SE put a hold on it, or Unity is putting a hold on it. I think it would be wise for someone on either side to weigh-in before rumors get out of control and people start picking sides on who to blame.

11. zenGarden

zenGarden

Perhaps Unity are negociating to hire him instead :D ?

12. Mauri

Mauri

8, not 18? SE posted this thread on June 10th...

Or Unity declined it for whatever reason, also a possibility. But yes, it should never take so long to either getting an Asset accepted or declined. (Well... actually, that may vary - depending on how many Assets from other developers were send in in the past few days).

13. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

WHOOPS. You're right, got my days mixed up.

Eight days isn't... quite as suspicious as 18? Still if the average is 4, and this is the single most anticipated unity asset of all time, you'd expect the number to be less not more. I have a pretty solid theory based on the actual evidence we can gather so far as to what's up, and I hope beyond all hope that i'm wrong, but I'm going to give it a couple more days with no word from SE or Unity before i consider blathering about it. In regards to said theory I will say only this; The evidence indicates it as an extreme unlikelihood they're discussing hiring him, and absolutely should you not be hoping that takes place, unless you want SEGI to suffer the same fate as Enlighten.

14. sonicether

sonicether

It's been 6 business days since I submitted SEGI. Normally it takes 5-10 business days to review a submitted asset, so there's nothing to worry about here. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear back from them.

IronDuke, Detniess, ArthurT and 3 others like this.
  15. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

That's good news! I think what confused people including myself was where you showed the image of it submitted eight days ago.

Anyhoo, the most important thing I'm grappling with is that one of the limitations is described as "limited scene size" but what do you consider a "large scene"? And relative to what, the distance from 0,0,0 or view range of the main camera itself?

Our terrain is 16kmx16km with a mountain at 0,0,0 that completely encompasses the innermost 2km in either direction. I wouldn't want finally buy SEGI and realize that it's totally unusable for us.

Thanks for your time.

ksam2 likes this.
  16. sonicether

sonicether

Check out the Low Poly demo scene, you can get a sense of the scale that it can handle and if you fly out you can see where the GI range ends.

Also, keep in mind that this is an ongoing project. It's likely that if the first beta version of SEGI doesn't suit your needs, a future version might.

ksam2 and RB_lashman like this.
  17. Mauri

Mauri

Just wondering... since the GI itself is only happening in a container-like box (at least that's how I understand it through your posts), what would speak against attaching the box to the player, so that it follows him around? Would that make any sense / difference?

Also, what about the reflections made by the GI? Any problems using Unity's SSRR or Cubemaps instead? The GI one seemed a bit performance hungry (as pointed out by another user in your other thread).

18. sonicether

sonicether

The GI voxel volume by default is centered on and follows the camera.

Sure, you could use other reflection solutions, voxel reflections are completely optional. Right now they're a bit expensive since I'm doing manual quadrilinear filtering for them (blending between mipmap levels while sampling voxel data). I'll have that be a switchable option in the future.

19. Flurgle

Flurgle

Looks great! Is there a demo of the room?

20. blueivy

blueivy

Will you implement cascading? say having a higher resolution closer to the camera and a lower resolution further away

21. eskovas

eskovas

Read the Development Roadmap on the first post. Voxel Volume Cascading is planned for SEGI.

blueivy, John-G and RB_lashman like this.
  22. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

is this the same as 3DTexture Mipmapping that you're looking for?
    Code (csharp):
    2. Shaders: Added UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX3D_LOD macro, for consistency with other LOD sampling macros.

23. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

For the curious, the macro's added are these:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX3D_LOD(tex,coord,lod) tex3D (tex,float4(coord,lod))
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     #define UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX3D_LOD(tex,coord,lod) tex.SampleLevel (sampler##tex,coord, lod)
    inside of HLSLSupport.cginc. I'm not sure when you need the HLSLSupport macro's, but it isn't new functionality.

24. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Ah okay, never used 3D texture stuff before. I thought it was a new stuff.

25. sonicether

sonicether

Well, SEGI was declined.

It's completely understandable. I regret not waiting until the website was done to submit, but it's almost done, so I'll just finish it up and then I'll have to resubmit SEGI.

Sorry about that, guys. Once again, I'll keep everyone updated on what happens.

26. ksam2

ksam2

Should we wait another 10 days after submit to see what asset store going to decide? :mad:

nxrighthere and RB_lashman like this.
  27. ForceX

ForceX

How about the fact that you are already an established seller with some great products. I suppose those don't speak to your level of professionalism. For my self, an established member of the unity community with an awesome track record is far more important than some fancy website.

This apparently now sets the standard of; the cooler your asset the better your website needs to be?

Edit:
    Take a certain SSR asset that will go unnamed. They had an awesome website that showed current and upcoming assets. If I remember correctly they have been banned from posting about one of there assets on these forums, and I would be extreme surprised if they release another. How's that website speaking to there professionalism now.

Sorry, rant over.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    Pecek, buttmatrix, blueivy and 9 others like this.
  28. GMM

GMM

That sucks quite a lot, i was looking forward to playing around with SEGI this week.

29. Mauri

Mauri

That's unfortunate. Can't you just sell it otherwise (for the moment)? Via a webshop such as sellfy.com?

30. SteveB

SteveB

Yea this is incredibly odd. As @ForceX said, there are sites that are spectacular, but either never released their final product, or stopped supporting what they did release. Conversely there are sites that are atrocious but are happily jamming away on their assets without much of a problem.

So either something else is up, or your site really is just awful, lol. :D

Cheers

-Steven

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    RB_lashman likes this.
  31. eskovas

eskovas

No worries. Same thing happened to me, even though i also already had an asset on the asset store, like you already have.
    They shouldn't even let someone submit an asset if all required fields are not filled up. Then things like this wouldn't happen and wouldn't need to resubmit and wait again for a review.

I think this problem only happens with publishers that submitted assets before Unity changed the required fields.

RB_lashman and Skolstvo like this.
  32. crackfox

crackfox

i´ve been lurking and waiting in the (non GI) shadows.
    huge bummer it did not pass thru. sort of shocked that online appearance alone is the grounds of declining such a groundbreaking addition to unity and not consider your transparency in this thread.

many thanks for the great work and looking extremely forward to playing with it.
    if there is a possibility of buying via sellfy of such i´d be ecstactic.

RB_lashman likes this.
  33. Flurgle

Flurgle

There is definitely a problem with Unity. A lot of "Pro" devs clearly have stopped supporting their tools, while others that are more casual have tremendous support, and updates. It seems having a website isn't the best metric for a good asset dev.

RB_lashman likes this.
  34. neoshaman

neoshaman

Whatever, it remind me of nintendo slowing competition because one of their game was going out on their platform ... not saying unity is doing that.

RB_lashman likes this.
  35. mkgm

mkgm

What can I say.... it's UNITYTECH o_O:confused::eek:

RB_lashman likes this.
  36. Golesy

Golesy

Part of it could be the price point too. I know I wont go after a refund if its only $20 or so, but they probably get hounded for the more expensive stuff.
    It mainly wouldn't be an issue if they didn't take 4000 years to review things :p

RB_lashman likes this.
  37. ForceX

ForceX

Whaaaat? Is this the website they rejected?

www.sonicether.com

For a unity asset hell any standalone product this is top notch.

You have examples, demos, education materials, a roadmap, and links to the forums. This is by far one of the best websites for a product I have scene.

Unity just be jelly.

RB_lashman and Lex4art like this.
  38. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I think the SEGI addition to Cody's website might have just gone up today, but I'm not for sure on that.

Omg that development roadmap with the percentage completion numbers is amazing. I love the transparency. Big kudos for putting that info on there!

macdude2, RB_lashman and zoid25 like this.
  39. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's an awesome overflow, push a bug report

RB_lashman likes this.
  40. SteveB

SteveB

Yea if that's what they rejected, they're full of utter S***...

...if that's what you just tossed up after said rejection, then you just got approved :D

RB_lashman likes this.
  41. neoshaman

neoshaman

He can also roll his own shop on his own site and link it from the forum, no more 30% and no more asset store!

RB_lashman likes this.
  42. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

This makes no sense so I sent a scathing email and if you guys also feel the asset store folks are not doing their job properly you can email them : assetstore@unity3d.com

RB_lashman likes this.
  43. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

It does make sense. I vaguely remember the asset store team changing policies to improve the average quality of assets. They desired more content-pack like assets, versus the 'wooden chair', 'wooden table', 'old school television' type individual assets, and more well-made assets versus things starters made that (no offence) sometimes clutter the asset store.

Enforcing asset creators to have a portfolio-like website does help as you can get an impression of what level of support they give to their assets, you can get more information that doesn't fit in the asset store description (forum threads are annoying for descriptions imo, there always is some buried in the pages) and it adds a bit of a ...filter for the lack of better words, to get rid of the simplest/easiest to make assets (they won't be worth the effort to make a website for).

I mean, look at the website (as it is at the time of writing, I'm sure it wasn't this way when is was reviewed). Compare having that to presumable ~1 paragraph of asset store description. It does help to add some (atleast perceived) quality, right?

Setting up a third party shop to sell the asset during what probably is a 10-day delay is quite ridiculous, and will only delay actual development. Saying unity is denying this asset because it's 'making enlighten obsolete' is weird as well, as this is basically a different kind of product. Dynamic vs static etc etc. Unity will make some neat money they barely worked for from the sales sonicether makes - and people will value unity higher for having these kinds of assets. Quite a win-win?

</rant>

crackfox and RB_lashman like this.
  44. sonicether

sonicether

Whoa, guys. First of all, before I got the email saying the asset was declined, sonicether.com was still down for maintenance. So, the Asset Store folks didn't see any of what's there now. They were simply greeted with a "down for maintenance" page.

While it's a bit upsetting that we'll have to wait another 5-10 business days, I absolutely understand their decision. To someone who didn't know anything about me, visiting my website and landing on a blank page definitely wouldn't have given that potential buyer confidence in my level of professionalism.

I didn't want to start Unity bashing party. I just wanted to be clear on what was going on. I'm confident that they were also being transparent with me and would have told me if there were other reasons that they declined the asset, so let's not make conspiracy theories.

As far as selling through different means, if I wanted to put SEGI on the Asset Store at all, it would be against their guidelines to sell it anywhere else.

I'd probably have a really hard time getting enough traffic anywhere else to sell enough to make ends meet with this asset, which, let's be real, absolutely needs to happen if I am to continue development on it the way I want to. Plus, I like the Asset Store. What Unity has achieved with the Asset Store has benefited Unity, independent developers like me, and Unity game developers as a whole, so they definitely know what they're doing.

But hey, thanks for the compliments on the website!

45. crackfox

crackfox

stellar website really. hope they can fast track this now.

RB_lashman likes this.
  46. ksam2

ksam2

Before sending to asset store again please test it on Unity 5.4B too. I know it's on beta now but it's beta 22 and 5.4 is almost out!

RB_lashman likes this.
  47. Golesy

Golesy

@sonicether just enjoy the fangs being pointed away from you for once :p

RB_lashman likes this.
  48. shawnblais

shawnblais

WOW, this looks amazing!! Can't wait to try it out.

Couple notes:
    * Are you going to be including the demo scenes in your plugin so we can see how you've constructed them?
    * Please try and test VR as soon as possible, if you need a tester I'm happy to help :)
    * Performance seems like it will need some work before this will be usable in VR. The lo-poly demo runs at 54fps on a GTX 970. Without GI I get 340 fps. We need a minimum of 90fps for VR. My CPU is basically idle, GPU is pegged at 97% usage.

Also, all your image links / downloads links in the OP are busted.

Thanks again for making this, it's the best lighting I've ever seen out of Unity, truly impressive.
    Cheers,

49. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I think you'll need to wait for several of the optimizations in SE's roadmap to be done before this solution approaches viability for VR. Those optimizations will increase performance for most/all users of the product, with VR developers being one of those included groups.

50. sonicether

sonicether

Oops! Thanks for letting me know about the broken links, I just fixed them.

Yep, the low-poly scene is included for reference.

As soon as I can get a VR headset I'll be doing testing/development. As @chiapet1021 mentioned, SEGI's efficiency will have to be improved for it to be a viable option for VR.

Oh, and also, yep, it works fine in 5.4 beta.

I just resubmitted SEGI. Once again, I'll let you guys know what happens. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    amasinton, eskovas, John-G and 2 others like this.