Search Unity

Games Seeking some honest feedback :(

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Enzo36t, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Enzo36t

Enzo36t

Good day to you and I apologise for a moment to ask for some generous feedback. I'm in no way an expert with Unity and it's been a struggle these last 8 months. I have arrived here with a humble request. I have begun making Terrains within Unity, I don't have any of the fancy tools which can automate much of the tasks such as laying out the landscapes and filling it all with flowers and grass, etc much of what you see is hand made, carved and painted using the Terrain tools and item placement.

My shoddy work is handmade and at best I am trying to create some what of a Pokémon style world filled with nature, magic and monsters, with original environments so that others can explore and feel like they are in a painted world. While taking on monsters using their battle pets the Player can explore and find many side paths to enchanting areas.

I am 8 months in to using Unity and I hope that I could at least find out if I am on the right track to creating environments full of life and adventure to bring the player in to an immersive world and by using Unity's engine and Terrain tools.

Would this be a game you would want to play?

Thank you for any comments on the work created so far.

2. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

not being super - much into the cartoon stuff atm perhaps not, however think it's a good start, and there's a demographic that plays the stuff, think bit over also Nintendo, or toon - style, etc etc . . .

overall, think it looks good, either a 8, or 9 rating, it perhaps depends on what you want to make, and perhaps also try and look for cel - shaded content, or perhaps get a toon - shader from the Unity store, not sure one could get that, think cost is perhaps 5 - 10 $$, and you could get a bit cartoon look, and perhaps figure if that was a direction . . .

as a total beginner you might be able to learn a ton from either youtube, or here, or the official Discord, think also there are free courses made by Unity, the #problem is that you're not asking for criticism over details, more a generic criticism that also depends on what you want to play, and perhaps good advice is to think bit over getting pre - made assets, or perhaps also looking bit over youtube, as a total beginner the tutorials other people make tend to be alright, or at least get one to a decent level, my review is 8, perhaps 9, however don't really play toon - stuff, and don't really know that much about it, etc etc . . . . :) :eek:

3. Enzo36t

Enzo36t

Thank you so much. I'm starting to gain a little more experience as I try out new ways to make the landscape better and use effects. I did start out using a toon shader, it possibly wasn't a good one. I should really look at something.

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

Screenshots look very professional. Looks like something you'd have seen on the Nintendo Wii back in the day.

It sounded like you wanted feedback on terrain, but your screenshots either focus more on characters or they only show small bits of terrain zoomed-in, so its hard to comment on that specifically. I'm not really seeing anything glaringly amateurish in these shots, though.

5. impheris

impheris

looks good, but too much bloom, i would play that game if is fun

6. Enzo36t

Enzo36t

Thanks so much guys. I also did look in to the toon shader and missed out on the free one Unity was offering due to having such a busy work week... I didn't claim it on time. I'm sure it was Fridays when they rotated to a new developer freebie... I bought along some further screenshots...

The desert was a prefab... I purchased the desert themed buildings and tents and made a small Desert town.

This time around, I caved paths along a sea view, placed the trees and bushes, etc. The terrain in this snapshot was carved and edited using Unity Terrain.

A shot from the same area with a creature exploring the rocky area.

A lot of what I put together is sort of imaginative fantasy ideas.

I'm definitely open to any suggestions on how I can improve the look of the terrain. I'm currently looking at Digger to make cavers and overhangs with Unity terrain, but the demo was very difficult to control in real time.

This last shot is of a cliff area near the ocean, I carved the rocks and painted using Unity Terrain tools. It worked out really well I hope!

7. impheris

impheris

again, too much bloom is really killing your game

8. Enzo36t

Enzo36t

Ahh, I do apologise, I used Post processing when taking the screenshots for a softer effect.
    Here are pictures of the terrain without any effects, and just the fog is enabled. It is far from finished, some parts are still underdone, it'll really take me a few more weeks to make it as suitable as possible... Although I have been looking at one or two tools which may help, I do enjoy carving the landscape and learning better ways to make the scenery as easy on performance as possible.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  9. impheris

impheris

Post processing effects are good, using bloom is good, but, your levels of bloom effects are too high, is killing the visuals on your game

10. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

yea, it's rather ' sharp ', and bloom isn't the correct setting, the lens flare is rather bad . . .

the setting you want to get more stylized colors is called saturation, and it's a post - proc setting . . .

it's easier, and think also faster, saturation just makes the colors more ' cartoony ', and it's the correct setting if you want that ' vibrant ', or stylized effect, try looking at post - proc systems, not sure how works in Unity, in other engines it's more, or less a slider where you set the value, and you can see on screen how it works . . . . :) :eek:

another image, shows what the saturation setting does // it's a post - proc stuff . . . .

Ryiah likes this.
  11. Enzo36t

Enzo36t

Thank you so much, I have only been doing this for a short amount of time. I am learning as I go on. I will definitely work towards finding an equal balance with the lighting and colours to suit the scenes. You guys gave lots of great help and I appreciate your words of wisdom!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  12. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

it's not so much ' wisdom ', it's more that saturation is a more cheap // optimized way of getting the result it looks you want, it'll just make the stuff run faster, think the place where perhaps could give more helpful criticism, perhaps also a few ideas is over the art itself, or design - stuff . . .

as you post more images, or whatever content you have in mind, say monster - design, characters, style, it'll be easier to give perhaps the ' wisdom ' advice, think you could make the stuff run faster by working on saturation, and tbh it looks a 8 rating, or perhaps 9 rating idea, or then graphics as it is, however art, structure, and various direction is subjective, ie. some people are gonna hate, then not want to praise most cartoon stuff, others will like the stuff, the #important thing to remember is that more, or less all video - games are in some ' genre ', or have their own audience, and that the smartest artists pick something they enjoy making themselves, or tell stories they think make sense, or pursue various disciplines over art, or presentation that fits their taste, or background, etc etc . . . :) :cool:

right now, not really playing cartoon - stuff, and prob. won't pay for titles in that style, however there's a market for the stuff, think you have a really, really good idea, perhaps try and add to it, either art, style, or then either characters that you're working on, or key - places, or locations, etc etc . . . .

13. FoolishGamer

FoolishGamer

14. FoolishGamer

FoolishGamer

Dude. It looks awesome.