Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking feedback on my macro/micro view system design

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sordidlist, Aug 19, 2019.

1. sordidlist

sordidlist

Hi, I'm working on a game where you play as an insect in a house. There is a macro view style, where the camera is zoomed out to a "normal" human perspective, and a micro view style, where the camera is zoomed up close to the insect character.

I came up with two ways of doing this:

a) I could have lots of LODs for all the objects in the house, intricately set up so that when I zoom in up close, the LOD system handles everything internally. The downside to this is that I would need to find a lot of very high quality models, however the upside would be that the rest of the house would be visible in the background. I do own some LOD assets that might make it workable. I suppose I could also look into using something like a toon shader to greatly simplify the amount of detail that is expected or desired.

b) I could simply have a macro scene and a series of micro scenes, with each micro scene mapping to various locations around the house. The drawbacks here would be that it would be difficult and time consuming to create a convincing scale model of each part of the house. I have also considered a system where a cubemap is generated from the insect's perspective, which would be used to simulate the (distant) surroundings, but this approach would fall apart if the player tried to traverse a long distance in the micro view.

In my mind, option a makes the most sense, but I wanted to bounce this off the community and see what you all think. Thanks for any help!