Search Unity

Seeking Advice on Character Design

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FancifulFox, Feb 10, 2015.

1. FancifulFox

FancifulFox

I am designing a character for a 2D fairy-tale game with a bit of a dark/spooky theme, and we are trying to create a 9 year old little boy with a bowl cut for the player character.

I thought I was successful in drawing a little boy, but I've been told that it looks like a little girl with make-up. I was trying to make the character look tired and worn out, but still young.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

50frontpic.png

2. virror

virror

I think its the eyes and mouth that makes it look like a girl, i think the black around the eyes makes ppl think about makeup and somehow the mouth also looks a bit girlish.
    Hard to tell exactly why though : )

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I think virror hit all the points I was going to make. Also may want to bring the hair line closer to the brows and possibly have a couple stray clumps dropping down further.
    It's definitely the eyes, brow and the mouth.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Agreed with @virror and @theANMATOR2b. Definitely has a lady-boy kind of vibe to it. If I could expound on what they've said a little bit, I would also say the chin has a feminine quality to it. When I think of a young boy, I think of a soft, rounded face, not a tapering, delicate chin.

Personally, I have the opposite problem with my characters. I can never make my women look girly enough! They look like guys with long hair, haha.

5. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

theANMATOR2b likes this.