Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[SEEK/IDEA] Inspector Plugin to visualize write access to fields

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BPR, Jan 17, 2022.

1. BPR

BPR

Hi,

I am looking for a specific plugin, maybe someone knows of one plugin which can do this or is inspired to implement it and put it into the store...

Advanced IDEs like Rider have features to detect and show modifications done in the scene to public variables.
    I am looking for the opposite: An Inspector plugin which can visualize if a public field on my Monobehaviour is (write) referenced by any code.
    InspectorFieldWrite1.png

Even greater would be: It checks first if the concrete monobehaviour instance is referenced by a component in the scene currently, which would write accesses said public field.
    InspectorFieldWrite2.png

The purpose would be for debugging and avoidance of unwanted overrides. In this example the monobehaviour CharacterStats has two public fields, but only HP is write accessed by three scripts in the project. In the advanced example only two of the three scripts reference this particular instance's field with one instance each. The shown example is of course simplified and can be implemented better, but I see a big use-case in larger projects.

Kind regards,
    BPR