Search Unity

See-Through System - shader-independent visibility obstruction handling

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CatsPawGames, Nov 6, 2014.

1. BBLOCK_Digital

BBLOCK_Digital

Thank you very much!
    Update is working as expected!

2. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Due to changes in how Unity 5.5 handles depth buffer on some devices, current version of See-Through System can provide faulty obstruction detection on some mobile devices. Fixed version will be uploaded to Asset Store tomorrow (+ about a week of review process from AS staff). If you need fix now, please contact me through my publisher email with your invoice number, I'll send it to you manually.

3. Chinafreak

Chinafreak

@CatsPawGames looks like that the shader is again broken in 5.6. Just info anyways. :)

I would love to have temp fix if its possible.I'm using Background Type outline and in 5.6 it use color White instead Black.

[Edit]

Somehow the asset is now working again. I'm not sure why, but its all fine now.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  4. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Thanks for the info, I suspected it would happen. I started to check my assets but didn't get get to STS yet, fix will be uploaded during next week.

CarterG81 and Chinafreak like this.
  5. CarterG81

CarterG81

Thanks! Your asset is totally awesome btw! I will upload some screens of how I'm using it sometime in the future (so you know what's being done with it); probably after the update.

6. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Update: It seems STS works on 5.6 without problems. I'll keep testing different settings combinations until I'm completely sure, but basic functionality is 100% in order.

7. sebas77

sebas77

Hello,

I have some questions about this plugin:

- does it use its own RenderTarget or Camera Depth Texture?
    - How do you handle shadows with a multiple camera setup? Every camera render will have its own shadow pass, so how do you manage objects shadows? Unless you render the whole scene on the same camera, I am not sure how you make it working.

8. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Hello.

It uses original camera depth texture for obscurance determination, second camera(for background/no obstacles pass) renders into separate RenderTexture.

Shadows are handled separately by individual cameras. It does cause shadows from obstacles not showing in visibility windows (e.g. if your character is behind the wall and STS triggers a window around him, shadow from said wall will not be visible through that window).

9. sebas77

sebas77

Thanks a lot for your reply!

10. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

Hi, I'm trying to make this work with my toon outline shader I got from the assets store

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/26776

If I try with the Simple option I get this result:

If I use the custom shader, let's say Mobile Diffuse, I get this result

It works but it's rendered as transparent in render queue, so my character becomes see trough.

How can I make this work?

Also, how do shader tags work?

11. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Hello, how does your character looks with toon outline shader normally (without STS)? I noticed that this shader have problems with orthographic camera, and it appears you're using orthographic mode.

Other than that, shader tags or render queue shouldn't affect rendering of background in transparency window (character is included in that).

Also, can you send me more details to my support email? (Your STS settings & example of shader - so I can replicate that issue)

12. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

Sent you Email

13. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

After excellent support from the developer, we found the problem, If you have more post-processing effects on your camera, the order of the stack is important, try putting STS as the first effect.

hopeful likes this.
  14. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

I have a special request, on email I told you that if I set the SSR under the STS then the SSR does not work, but I just found out that it does but, If I set the STS system over the Plawius SSR then this happens

Weird, the reflections are only visible on STS generated areas, I'm totally in the dark about how camera rendering works, so I'm asking you if you can help me with this?

What could be happening here?

15. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

Nevermind, found what makes it work, If I set STS to "Preserve Depth Texture" then it works.

16. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

Hi is STS compatible with unity 2017?

Because it does not seems to work with any other post-effect...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  17. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

I'm having difficulty getting the latest version to work in either 2017 or 5.6. Even the demo scene doesn't work.

Strange thing is that 1.5 version works fine. Has something changed between 1.5 and 1.8 that requires a different setup?

18. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Hello, please read email I sent you.

19. blueteak

blueteak

I am having a bit of trouble with the system with single large objects - I didn't realize the package would be completely dependent on different layers so it may not fit my use case as I had hoped.

Is there any way I can solve this issue? The map is a single mesh and can't effectively be split up (also multiple levels would make any "ceiling" that should be cut out into a floor that would need to be rendered one level up).

20. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Sadly I don't think elegant solution for that problem exists. If splitting mesh between layers is not an option, all other possible solutions would be so time-consuming and hacky that it wouldn't be worth it. If you bought it just for that task you can send me a message to support email with your invoice and I'll ask asset store team for refund.

21. JPhilipp

JPhilipp

Hi! I bought your asset, and plan to use it in my SteamVR project. However, when enabling the component on my main camera and setting the respective layers, the view in my headset and the desktop just freezes and nothing shows -- help please?

22. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Hello. Can you send me details to support email? Unity version, headset used etc.

23. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

Question, can the system show particles and things with alpha transparency?

24. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Yes, particles and objects with transparency can be rendered in generated transparency windows without any problems.

If you need to use transparent objects as obstacles, you'll have to turn "check render types" option and adjust alpha discard level according to textures you're using (more info in the manual).

25. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

How you do it? I have added particle systems to the trigger layer and they don't become visible.

26. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

That's strange, I just tested it and it worked normally. Is it possible your particle material is using custom shader with non-standard RenderType? If that's the case, I can modify STS to handle that, I'll need your shader or just its RenderType to do that.

If that isn't the case, I'll need to look at your project or at least your STS settings and your particle material. You can send me that info to my support email.

27. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

yes I noticed it can, but somethings are not being shown, I'm using MK glow shaders, I have tried changing the sensitivity value but it does no good, here is a video showing the problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g691e7754p1jmmu/bandicam 2018-03-02 17-42-43-283.avi?dl=0

UPDATE, I noticed that yes, the MK glow shaders are the ones not being shown, the laser has a different shader and its being shown.

28. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

What is required to make a shader work with STS?

29. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

STS just need to recognize its RenderType. You can edit STS_alpha_maskRT and STS_red_maskRT shaders yourself if you know how (basically copy subshader with "RenderType"="Transparent" and swap RenderType to new one), or you can send the shader that's causing issues to my support email and I'll do it for you.

30. adamzl

adamzl

@CatsPawGames, have you tried out this system with the lightweight pipeline? I couldn't make it work in my project I converted to lightweight or the example scene lightweight scene.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  31. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

32. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Thank you for bringing it to my attention! I lost my domain so every link broke, I tried to update all descriptions but it seems I missed this one.

Fibonaccov likes this.
  33. Fibonaccov

Fibonaccov

You are welcome! You might want to update the asset store link in your first post as it now leads to a 404 ;)

34. EpicMcDude

EpicMcDude

Hey! I was just about to post about the demo links. I'm looking for an asset to help with a See-Through effect that doesn't use shaders and this seems perfect for it, but I wanted to test it before buying it. Please let us know when new demo links are available! Thanks

35. angellnetwork

angellnetwork

Is this asset still maintained? i've seen the website is not working, i also need to know if HDRP is supported, thanks.

36. Harmanz

Harmanz

Asset crushes on 2021.3.16f1 ((