Search Unity

Feedback Sector Assault re-released on Steam as free-to-play

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by crandellbr, Feb 6, 2023.

1. crandellbr

crandellbr

Sector Assault is now free-to-play on Steam with new features and polish. I returned to the project with the goal of designing better mobile controls and launching for the first time on iOS and Android. This has always been a mobile game at heart, so I'm not expecting much on Steam despite it still being easier to play with mouse and keyboard. I wanted to keep the desktop version in sync anyway.

I've seen interest from friends, roommates, and coworkers, but I haven't received a lot of in-depth feedback. I'm actively looking for constructive criticism. I understand the market is oversaturated, so feedback or no, thank you if you take the time to explore my game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/732850/Sector_Assault/

baptiste_garro and halley like this.
  2. halley

halley

Looks really smooth and polished. Hope it does well.

In terms of trailer videos, I think it's just a little too much cutscene-to-gameplay ratio, and all loaded up front. From what I understand, you want to get some gameplay in the first few seconds, because most Steam users don't even play more than 10 seconds of a video.

crandellbr likes this.
  3. crandellbr

crandellbr

Thank you! Not sure about Google, but Apple doesn't want cinematic footage, so I have to remove the first half. Ideally for Steam I would split the trailer in two and have the gameplay half appear first. The problem is that music for the gameplay montage leads into the outro, so appending the outro to the cinematic can't be done cleanly. Redoing the music is more than I'm prepared for if I have to throw out the cinematic for mobile, but this is definitely something I'll account for on future games.

4. baptiste_garro

baptiste_garro

Congratulations for the release.

Is there any story or background of why you fight? I was wondering why we should care.
    Also, the video is very clean and good. I like it.

How many hours did it take you to get to this result?

crandellbr likes this.
  5. crandellbr

crandellbr

Thanks. I didn't have the resources for a story mode, so this was meant to be arcade-only. I came up with a story late in development, but it would've required bosses and mini-bosses. I had to draw the line with feature creep, but I'd like to do something with that story in a sequel.

It would be impossible to give a time estimate, not just because I didn't track my own hours. I had a lot to learn when I first started Sector Assault, so I wasn't efficient. Without funding I had to take on more work than expected, such as wave design. I also rewrote and reassembled the project when converting from Unity 5.3.6 to LTS 2020. It's safe to say I've spent over a thousand hours on this game, possibly closer to two thousand.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023