Search Unity

Searching for known issues / problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Does anyone know how to search for known problems in the trackers? I am in the midst of trying to complete a course given by udemy. Whilst the code is correct, some cannot be completed due to unknown bugs in the unity app. As an example, I have tried to search for transform.forward in https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Transform-forward.html and don't fully understand what is being given? I have searched in the known issues in https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/ and don't find any basic examples. So the question is : Is it user-friendly enough so we don't waste time learning the technicalities? Or am i supposed to learn the terms first then use it in order to solve my problems?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

What bugs? You haven't even told us what the bug is.

angrypenguin likes this.
  3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Some actual usable info would be good if your expecting someone to help you.

You could start by explaining what the bug actually is and give a bit of context to the situation.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm following a course from the udemy website. I'm using the mouse in Unity 2019.2.1 in play mode. When i move the ball with the mouse, it refuses to go up left or right and can only go straight. Even when I increase the force, it refuses to turn left or right. Don't get me wrongly as I've checked the codes and other in the course have the exact same problem. The puzzling part is after the solution worked for others, it suddenly refuses to work again in this new version. I don't know if this is a bug in the new version OR if some extra code is required to make this work. That's why I want to search the tracker and I want to know if this is a known bug or not. That's all. So any idea what might be happening? I've already sent this as a feature request to the QA team of unity as I believe it's a bug but obviously cannot prove this.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Transform.forward does exactly what it says on the tin, it moves something relative to its forward direction. If your code is not working, it is not there, but where you are changing the orientation of the ball.

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If there was a serious bug with transform.forward broken it would likely break half the games made with Unity and you'd see an endless number of threads on the topic. Most likely the issue is somewhere else.

Socrates, Kiwasi and Antypodish like this.
  7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Edit: removed comment as got confused

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. Antypodish

Antypodish

I don't think Joe was addressing Murgilod. It's sounds like general statement to the thread.

Still, OP should post, assumed to be broken script, or relevant it's part. Also, probably not much helpful for most, but to which course exactly, OP is referred to. Title version etc.

Other than that, I agree with Joe. If something wrong would be with discussed transform, tons of developers would be shouting.

9. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I actually thought it was OP and not joe saying that, so I got confused and thought OP was trying to claim transform.forward is broken.

I need to drink less coffee and get more sleep methinks.

Kiwasi likes this.
  10. sxa

sxa

[QUOTE="JulianHSC, post: 4880351, member: 3372674"I've checked the codes and other in the course have the exact same problem. [/QUOTE]

Then you should confirm with the developer of the course whether this is known to them, as it may be their code which is the issue. Its entirely possible that, rather than being a bug, its related to something which has changed from one major version of Unity to another.
    It looks like you've already been told in another thread that you may get issues if you're not running the same version of Unity as specified for a tutorial you're doing. You should maybe consider that a more likely thing to investigate than assume a bug in an absolute fundamental of Unity.

Socrates and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well the tutorials are very short. What I will do is rewrite them in 2018 LTS and from there I'll know if this is a bug or not. But i don't think the QA team will help because this is an old version. So can I put links in this general to the problems i have? Then maybe one of you can check what might be wrong. This is after all general discussion, not a help / support forum.

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

There is no bug. If there was a problem this severe between versions, everyone would know about it. Transform.forward only moves things relative to the forward direction of the object. You're probably doing something like using vector3.forward instead. If you actually posted code instead of just describing problems, we could probably solve this mystery, but instead you insist on assuming that everything is somebody else's fault.

Ryiah likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

I will rewrite it again and test. There have been cases where the codes were correct but just didn't work the first time. That's the part that puzzles me. That's why I came here. Have you experienced this before? In my case, i recreated the entire project and then it worked. So why like this? Must be some fault with the apps.

14. Today's lesson: taking responsibility and basics how to hunt bugs. So, repeat after me: "I'm not perfect, I make mistakes and that's okay. Even admit it openly on the internet is okay. I will try to find what have I done incorrectly and will try to fix it before I blame the device/Unity/OS/whatever for the problem"

Bug-hunt: try to use attached debugger, you can go through your code step by step, so you can see how the variables change and you can see which commands are executed. If you're using VS or Rider, you just need to attach the debugger.
    Also take note of the watch window where you can list variables (both global and local) and expressions to see how they're changing throughout the run of your code. Also learn how to set breakpoints so you can run until the processing reaches a specific line and see how things go from there.

15. Murgilod

Murgilod

I have experienced my code being wrong before, yes.

16. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Correct
    I may have misunderstood what the OP thinks the Unity bug is.

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It is very common for new coders to think this, but it is exceedingly rare for it to be the case. If code did not compile and run consistently then our computers would not work.

It is almost certain that either your code or something in the Editor was different the second time.

Chances are that you didn't do things exactly the same. You're still learning, so it's really easy to miss things because you don't have much practise in what to look for.

As others said, you will be much better off if you look for what you did wrong rather than blame your tools.

The "LTS" part of "2018 LTS" stands for "Long Term Support". It specifically exists to provide support for teams who don't want to change versions. And it's actively supported for 2 years, so "old" isn't a problem for quite a while yet.

Joe-Censored and Ryiah like this.
  18. Ryiah

Ryiah

This. Just look at the following thread. Every indication the OP left in that thread is that they felt it wasn't the fault of them entering the code but rather that they were "doing something wrong in Visual Studio" or "missing a step" when the truth of the matter was they simply missed a semi-colon.

Forgetting a semi-colon, adding an additional semi-colon (eg to the end of an if-statement), having too few, too many, or missplaced parentheses are very common mistakes for beginners that can be very difficult to spot and may lead you to believe that the code was perfect when in fact you simply made a mistake when entering it.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/lvl...-a-simple-youtube-tutorial-and-failed.732521/

Socrates, Antypodish and Joe-Censored like this.
  19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Even as an experienced coder, much of the time when I first think "wow, have I just found a bug?" further inspection shows that I had in fact missed something somewhere.

Antypodish likes this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Dear - I copied and pasted the code on notepad. All i did was recreate the project, paste the code and the project did work. So how do you explain this? If i did type, you can make all the accusations you want. I'm also aware of the ";" semicolon. It's not like unity is the first language i've programmed it. Don't start by creating your own conclusions - I'm not happy with that. But unless the computer pasted extra codes from nowhere, i don't think it's a mistake from me.

21. Antypodish

Antypodish

I hope you don't write code in notepad?:)

You see, from discussion where you have not provided single line of code, error message, or direction with prove, where problem lies. Anybody can speculate as much as yourself. I suppose, others conclusions are derived, from you current state of technical knowledge, like information searching and
    where Unity is not the programming language. You write scripts in C# programming language, for Unity to work. Also, if you programmed in other languages at more than beginner level, you would realize, you don't need Udemy courses to progress.

You need to be very precise, if you want to develop software, both in code writing and communication like here on forum.
    Otherwise, you will receive lots of guesses. Some people love speculate mind, specially if is not conclusive to the topic.
    So be careful, what you wish for. :)

This was meant to highlight trivial case example, where error may lie. Not necessary to do with ";". But things simple like that are easy to omit. Specially if someone is learning. In some cases can be bracket, in other mistaking + and -, another forgetting uncomment/comment variable. We all have been there.

In fact, copying from / to text editors, may cause text encoding issues. And that on its own can introduce compiling problems. So maybe you faced that. Another pure guess / conclusion.

Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.
  22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Is english your native language? I suspect that there are communication issues here somewhere.

These aren't "accusations". Firstly, they're observations from my experience - learning to code myself, doing a whole bunch of coding personally and professionally, and teaching others to code.

Secondly, please read my words very carefully, it is deliberately qualified in many places - "very common", "exceedingly rare", "almost certain". At no stage did I categorically state what you did or did not do in this regard. And, to be honest, that's the kind of detail you need to be aware of as a programmer!

Look, I've seen a bunch of people try to help you over a bunch of threads. At no stage I've seen have you given detailed, step-by-step information about what you've done, what you're trying to achieve, or exactly what went wrong. In no place I've seen have you written out the whole of an issue you're having. At no point I've seen have you shown any of the code you claim doesn't work.

It's probably all clear in your head, but it's very far from clear for everyone else here. We can't read your mind or see your screen, so we don't magically know what "just didn't work" or "recreated the entire project" means in any practical sense. This is a field where details make a huge difference, and you're not giving anyone any detail.

There's a link in my signature. While I think it goes a tad too far the general principles are sound so, for your own sake, I strongly suggest reading it and applying it.

23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Heck yeah! "Smart" quotes, anyone?

Socrates and Antypodish like this.
  24. Ryiah

Ryiah

We have no choice but to create our own conclusions because you've told us absolutely nothing useful. If your goal is find to solutions to your problems then you're going about it in the worst ways possible.

That thread I mentioned earlier wasn't an excellent example just due to the nature of the mistake. It's an excellent example because it provides us with an extensive amount of information to help them solve it.

Getting a copy of the code and a link to the tutorial in question isn't uncommon. What is uncommon is getting a time stamp allowing me to jump straight to the point in the video where I can compare the two examples allowing me to spend more time on the important parts of the question.

Little things like this may not seem important to you but if you want us to assist you then you need to provide them. If you don't want to be bothered providing us relevant information then to be blunt you're just wasting your time and ours.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Socrates likes this.
  25. Deleted User

Deleted User

I will give specific examples of the actual problems. I apologize if I'm beginning to sound defensive or unhappy about the replies. I so far didn't give any specific codes or examples because this is a section for general discussion. I've been testing my projects in 2018 and got some very specific results and will be opening yet another thread. Excuse me if this is not convenient for any of you. In there - yes - i will put links to what I've tried because those are the support forums, not here. (I expect this should be my last entry as there's nothing left for me to point out. All points have been given. Thanks for the help and trying. I really appreciate the points given.)

26. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

A big thumbs up for noticing and paying attention to that. Most people don't. For what it's worth, a bunch of what you've posted in here would better fit in Editor and General Support.

To the contrary, if you've got multiple issues then opening multiple threads each in the relevant place is the best way to go about it. It could be that you end up talking to different people about each one, which is cool because different people know different stuff.

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

ok i've just updated my actual codes and obtained the link. I'm opening another thread so you can leave this in peace. I won't be putting any points anymore. So check the next one.