Search Unity

Search for entity in entity debugger

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Radu392, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Radu392

Radu392

Is there any way to search for an entity in the entity debugger other than through what component it has?

For debugging purposes, I made a system so that when I select an entity in game, it displays its index in the game view. When I go in the entity debugger to search for it, it's takes a long time to find it since the list isn't even ordered as you can see in the picture. You can see I tried filtering by the component 'BrainDead' but there are still 1511 entities to look through and it's impossible to find 'Entity 9261'.

I'm on entities 0.8

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

Unfortunately, you cannot search for entities by name.:oops:
    Oh, and you cannot sort entities by name, either. (No A - Z sorting):(
    I'm not sure why these two features have not been added... But here we are. Perhaps I just haven't found it either? Does anybody know if this is a thing?
    And if not... When is this going to be a thing?:confused:

3. Radu392

Radu392

Man this sucks... Well I just thought of a workaround. I'll just add a unique component, say 'DebugSelected', every time I select an entity in game so that I can keep track of the entities I want to debug. That way when I search by this component, I'll get a very small list. Hopefully this will help someone.

In the meantime, it would be great if we could get a search field for entities, not just systems. Or *at least* a sorted list by index/name.

vildauget and NotaNaN like this.
  4. KwahuNashoba

KwahuNashoba

I believe their focus should be (or is) on DOTS Editor, and this is only the tool so we can have any info about what's happening until they breach the gap between the two worlds. It might be latter used as sort of profiler or so, so we can see chank utilization i.e.

5. vildauget

vildauget

how about renaming the entity in your system while you have it selected, maybe?

EntityManager.SetName(entity, "EASIER TO FIND NOW MAYBE? ...oooooOOOO0000OOOOooooo...");