Search Unity

Search broken in 2020.2a9

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by transat, May 5, 2020.

1. transat

transat

Just searched My Assets for tiger and the results were assets whose only relation was that they all had a word starting with the letter T. That yielded 258 results for me. Doing the search a second time yielded 19 results. Both of these identical searches included the 2 assets which actually have Tiger in the title. A 3rd search had me back to 258. A 4th back to 19! And then finally a 5 identical search yielded just the 2 assets with “tiger” in the title.

Please please do your tests on test machines with 1000+ assets!

2. manu73

manu73

Unity Technologies

@transat

We are using same search API as the one used on Web Asset Store (My Assets).
    Effectively, searching for "t" in my assets brings 25 results
    searching for "ti" in my assets brings 2 results
    searching for "tig" in my assets brings 1 result
    searching for "tige" in my assets brings 1 results
    searching for "tiger" in my assets brings 3 results (weird to me)

I will ask A$ web team, what criteria are used for search with text.

I also tried to reproduced your first issue (typing tiger completely, very fast or by copy/paste) but didn't not match to repro it.

Can you provide a video?

Thanks,
    Manuh73

3. transat

transat

Hi @manu73

Thanks for your reply. The 25 results you're getting for typing in "t" is further evidence that you guys do your testing on computers that have maybe 100 assets associated to them. I've repeatedly pointed out across a number of threads that this is why you have no idea how much pain most of your real users are in when they use your products in real-life situations.

Also, I'm not sure why you need me to provide a video if you're able to break the search yourself with the simplest of tests. That should be enough to organise for all of this mess to be considerably more thoroughly tested. With all respect, I don't want to do pro-bono bug tracking for you - the editor and package manager already waste so much of my time. and from experience user feedback generally gets ignored anyway.

But for what it's worth, I have tested it again and it does start working correctly for me...after 10 minutes and 40 seconds. That's how long it takes for the Package Manager to suddenly display the new versions to me (although it only takes seconds to correctly sort the list of assets by updated-date at the start). I would really like to know what the F#@% the editor is doing for the extra 10 minutes and 35 seconds it takes to update the UI to show the new dates, descriptions and version numbers.

Finally, I don't think it's very good PR to refer to the asset store using a dollar sign as shorthand. I've seen a few Unity staff do this and it likely doesn't impress the many users feeling ripped off by things like the big misleading "Refunds - we've got you covered" banner which recently sat atop the store for a few weeks. In other words, "A$" is not far removed from using the one-finger-salute emoji as shorthand for the Package Manager. Might be funny at your end, but not at ours. :)