Search Unity

Seamless Textures!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tofugames, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Tofugames

Tofugames

Hello! I have been working on a process for creating nice seamless textures and have decided to possibly release a few as a pack and put it up on the asset store. I'm not sure how much to set the price at but the pack will contain 10 512x512 textures. They are all "Earth" (rocks, moss, dirt, etc.), and are completely seamless. Here are a few watermarked examples:

Any feedback on them and price suggestions would be great! Thanks! Once I have a price nailed down and am set on putting them in the asset store, I will add watermarked previews for each texture.

~~Tofugames :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. Feyhu

Feyhu

did you use a camera to get some of these?

3. Tofugames

Tofugames

Yeah, they are all photographs, except for the cracked dirt, which is computer generated. The photographed ones are edited to be completely seamless and the computer generated one is also seamless.

4. Feyhu

Feyhu

nice, how do you edit the photographs like that? I still cant figure it out.

5. rosor

rosor

hi, are your textures fully seamless ( i mean 8 sided one which can be upplied on cube) or just four sided ones ( efficient for terrain and walls). But indeed, these ones seems to be usefull for planes.

6. Mike L

Mike L

cubes are 6 sided

7. bluelang

bluelang

You haven't upgraded to Unity 3.5D yet?

8. Demostenes

Demostenes

Is there any in-game screen? I am curious about tiling effect....

9. Tofugames

Tofugames

@Rosor the textures are 4 sided seamless only. I am still trying to learn how to create six-sided seamless textures efficiently.

@Demostenes I will put up some in-game screens when I get back to my development computer later this evening.

@Feyhu I use the free Photoshop clone Paint.net and followed some Photoshop tutorials on how to achieve the effect. It just takes some practice to get good at it. :) (One of the helpful tutorials was this: http://devisefunction.com/2010/03/22/creating-seamless-textures-from-photos-in-photoshop/ )

EDIT: Here is a webplayer showing a few of the textures painted onto a terrain object in unity:

Controls: WASD / Arrows to move, and mouse to look around.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16295628/Textures/Earth_LowRes_Demo/WebPlayer.html

10. rosor

rosor

a cube has 6 faces indeed ... but to apply a seamless texture on a cube you need to have an eight sided texture. Maybe i'll post a small tutorial to display the manner to achieve that. it's about 15 mn to do a map ( quite long indeed but this is necessary if you build a level by face or if you want to map seamless rocks modeled with a cube as primitive).
    But if some are interested in the eight sided textures you should have a look to the "unity creative" ( july august 2010 ) magazine from thomas pasieka.

11. Don-Whitaker

Don-Whitaker

"Eight Sided Texture" must be someone's pet name for some other term or construction technique. I've never heard it and neither has Google. Could you show an example?

12. Don-Whitaker

Don-Whitaker

Tofugames; These look nice in the player. They'll look even nicer when you add some variation to the terrain and texturing. That always helps mask the repetitions.

I'd say go for it and submit a collection of your best ones to the Asset store. Not too many textures available there yet.

13. rosor

rosor

@Tofugames : i've just posted a pdf tutorial about fully tileable textures ( 8-sided textures) you can read it here

14. Tofugames

Tofugames

@Rosor thanks for the tutorial! I'll look into it when I have time but I'm going to probably going to make a whole new set of textures using your method versus making these like that.

@Everyone Else Thanks for the feedback that I've gotten so far! Does anyone have any suggestions as to how much to make the textures cost if I put up a pack of 10 on the asset store?? I'm really at a blank as to what to set the price at..

15. rosor

rosor

@tofugames : i was thinking too about reselling textures, the same for me i don't really know how much it could cost. But to my mind you should really set a low price so that there are a maximum of customers interested in.( for 10 quality textures i would never give more than 5 dollars, even though i couldn't do it by myself ). i think too many people try to earn more money than their asset would cost, not talking about your work but a low price is always interesting ... that's my opinion
    Keep the good job
    regards

16. Tofugames

Tofugames

@Rosor: Yeah I was definitely thinking a low price. I was thinking somewhere in the range of $1 to $3 dollars. Probably $1.50 or $2; $3 at most.

17. rosor

rosor

well, i think you're right. it's a good price

18. MrSmive

MrSmive

Ok first of all ther's no such thing as an 8 6 or any other form of seamless texture..... by definition a seamless texture tiles vertically and horizontally without drastic visual change. any seamless texture can be applyed to a cube, it may have 6 sides but each side only has 4 points of contact, 2 vertical 2 horizontal, same for seamless sphere textures and anything else mates. If anything it goes 4 sided then, 8 sided, 16, 32 and so on but its still 4 sided, just means you can have half a tile, in essence its a 4 sided seamless tiled 2x or more, and so needs not be made in photoshop as a regular seamless will do the same job as long as you tile it twice.

Now seamless is really easy to make and use, just take one pic make the canvas 4 times bigger stick it in a corner copy paste flip horizontally copy and past those 2 and flip vertically, then use clone stamp to randomize the center area, as long as u don't edit the sides it will tile seamlessly, and also mirror seamlessly. Hell there's even plugins that do it all for you lolz, but you will never find anything other than a 4 sided seamless texture as there's no such thing as ANY 2D IMAGE having more than 4 sides its 2D! And before someone gets clever and says what about a picture of a hectagon, the image will still be so many pixels high and so many wide.

For a challenge try making something with an offset aspect ratio tilable, such as bricks or fancy tiles, that gets a tad more complected when dealing with the 3rd dimension.

Oh and yeah your texturez look great mate, though that grass one seems to be unnecessarily tiling in the center try varing it abit otherwise it will look like a grid when u apply it to something large like terrain.

19. DangerSnoot

DangerSnoot

Hehe, that made me laugh anyway :D

Nah, I don't see why anyone cares about these '689032 sided' textures to be honest. I've never encountered a situation where something like that would do better than good old fashioned '4 sided' seamless textures. If you have freaky shapes then you'd do better to just custom make textures to fit the mesh. Using projection painting using an existing texture works great I find for this. Furthermore '8 sided' essentially forces you to create sub-par textures, as they invariably end up either too featureless, or too obvious and geometric in the way they tile. They also result in obvious stretching and squashing when applied to anything other than a cube.

It usually takes me at least 3 hours, complete with normal and specular maps to make a seamless texture. Just saying.

I half agree with this. The technique to make textures is easy as anything, but I'd also like to add that making really, really good looking textures is actually a lot harder than it looks. The real test is to see if it looks good both up close (by eliminating obvious seams and artifacts), but also making it look good at a distance (by eliminating particularly obvious features, such as details, light and dark patches and so on). This is exactly what detail maps were made for, but alas we're a little stuck for those on Unity Terrains out of the box.

As for these textures (back on topic at last), they're not bad at all. There's a few spots which could do with improvement, but overall I'd say they're well worth those prices you suggested. What I would suggest for your webplayer however, is to up the anisotropic filtering a chunk, and add some hills to the terrain. It'll really help show off those textures better that way, and give us that all important view of what they'll look like at a distance.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  20. MrSmive

MrSmive

haha wolfie your dead right, i said it was easy to make um, god dam difficult to make real good ones, especaily from a photo taken without studio lighting, the main issue is the shadow directions causing this real uneven and unnatural looking texture, especaily with grass and such, try to take your pics when its midday, direct light from above will minimize the shadows direction and so will look good when u do the seamless bit. But avas iv had very little issue making these in the past, though i tend to spend alot more time than 15mins on one for ingame, maybe not for testing but for the final thing u really want to take some real time on your textures no matter what they are.

A trick is to just rough um out get them all the appropriate sizes and similar colors qith minor details, when ur games nearly finished just go mad in photoshop or gimp, open ever texture at once and go piece by piece untill there all redone. Its like laying tiles in real life you want to do it all in a day so as everything flows the same. For one this methord lets you build your game faster and its easier to modify, for two generally speaking your game goes from mediocre to look at to fantastic in one import! thats always nice to see.

21. Tofugames

Tofugames

I am working on some touch-ups on some of the textures as well as a better webplayer. I'll probably make my next update on this on Friday because I have a hectic amount of school work this week. If anyone has any more feedback or price suggestions though, please add your opinion. :) Thanks!

~~Tofugames

unityunity