Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Seamless Portals - An easy to use asset for creating seamless portals in your game

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JoePatrick, Aug 21, 2017.

1. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

This script allows you to easily create seamless portals in your games.
    This is great for creating more fluid gameplay as well as making your game look cool.

There is minimal setup required to get the portals working but there are configurable settings for a more versatile system.

You can apply a mask and background texture to your portals if you would like to overlay an effect, such as a border or window panel effect
    On top of this you can disable teleporting for the portals so that they are just 'windows' into the other world that cannot be walked through.
    The portals can be configured to teleport:
    -The player camera
    -The player camera's parent
    -An arbitrary GameObject which can be used as reference for more complex player controllers
    for more info on this, check the documentation

As well as the documentation, you can hover over any of the settings in the configuration panel and a tooltip will give you short description of what that setting is for.

For examples of how this tool can be used, check out the included screenshots and video.

Asset Store Link: Here
    And here is a little video to show the sort of things that can be done

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Looks good!
    Can this asset be used in an AR setup?

3. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

By AR I assume you're talking about the issue of having two cameras.
    If that's the case then yes it is possible but you will need to have two sets of portals - exact duplicates but with each set configured and visible to only one camera/eye.
    Hope that makes sense, if not I can help more

4. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

No, not VR - Augmented Reality.
    The camera renders the phone camera view and then the meshes.

That would work?

5. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

So you would want a portal to render in the camera view as though it would be there in real life, but what would you want to render inside the portal?

The portal is just a cube/plane with a fancy texture so if you want a portal to gameworld that renders as though it was in the realworld (via a camera) then yes that should be possible

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  6. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Cool! A portal in the real word, entering a pure 3d world would be it!

Thanks!

twelvam likes this.
  7. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

Yeah I would say that is definitely possible, if you have a simple AR demo setup you could send me I could add in the portal to test and show you first, or alternatively I would be happy to refund you if you bought it but couldn't get it to work for your purpose

8. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Just assembling potential ideas to come to life, nothing ready yet. Tba

9. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

Alright no problem, let me know if you have any other questions :)

10. maxaud

maxaud

Do you know if this would work for PSVR?

11. Atzanteotl

Atzanteotl

Hi - great asset.

Can the portals be created on the fly?
    And can the portals be moved after created?

12. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

Hi sorry for the late reply, The portals could potentially be created and removed with a script.
    Thinking about how they're setup, you may have an issue if you have more than one pair of portals (but only if they can 'see' each other, otherwise should be fine)

The portals can be moved and they will continue to work :)

13. CaptainBaxter

CaptainBaxter

Can you add support for VR?

14. krlsmnk

krlsmnk

I strongly second this. Every project I find with seamless portals (that still works) doesn't support VR, and contains descriptions on how to modify the existing setup to achieve it, which they say is "easy."

I'm not a new dev, but I'm fairly new to VR. Multiple cameras, frustrums and rendering to single "eyes" never seem to work correctly when I try to set them up for my Vive.

EthanFischer likes this.
  15. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Another thread just brought up the idea of non-Euclidean levels. Could you do that sort of thing with this asset? I assume the 3-rooms-connected-as-if-they-were-4 trick is pretty easy, but what about things like scale transformations?

16. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Just bought this asset. Pretty happy with it so far, except for one thing: I didn't realize it only supported one pair of portals.

I can design my layout so that you can't see one portal from another, but I still need a total of four pairs... how would I set this up?

17. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Also... a lesser issue, but: this portal is double-sided. All my portal needs are single-sided. That is, I should see and be able to use the portal when I approach from (say) the south, but if I approach it from the north, I don't see it and it shouldn't bother with its offscreen rendering.

Any idea how I could go about making these one-sided?

18. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

Hi

First up, just to let you know that the best way to contact me is by emailing me at josephpatrick2013@hotmail.com as I don't always check the forums too often :D

So thanks for buying the asset, while you currently cannot link more than two portals together, you should be able to have multiple pairs of portals, you will just need one PortalConfig script for each pair - though you may find each pair needs it's own material.

The portals are double sided by choice by using flat cubes, if you would like single sided then just use planes instead.

Hope that helps

Joe :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  19. armablue

armablue

Really like this asset and have been able to easily set up multiple portals to move around the world. I have been trying to use this asset for a VR game but there are some issues with the camera. It is related to the question about VR/AR above and the configuration with duplicate portals.

Looks good!
    Can this asset be used in an AR setup?
    By AR I assume you're talking about the issue of having two cameras.
    If that's the case then yes it is possible but you will need to have two sets of portals - exact duplicates but with each set configured and visible to only one camera/eye.
    Hope that makes sense, if not I can help more