Search Unity

Seamless (more or less) Terrain Tiles

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by drewradley, May 26, 2011.

1. drewradley

drewradley

I have put together a simple package of seamless tiles. The tiles are 512 Tris each and have a 512x512 Bumped Diffuse material. There are instructions in the readme. Basically start at 0.0 and place each tile exactly a multiple of 9.84 apart from each other and they should line up perfectly. Feedback encouraged!

There are a couple of minor issues that are pretty easy to work around. First, from a distance and at certain angles the seams show up ever so slightly on some tiles. It is barely visible and I'm hoping someone has some suggestion for fixing this. Otherwise, just ignore it. It is practically invisible when I put stuff in the scene nearby (such as trees and buildings).

Second, the tiles cannot be rotated so I have included a texture for each direction of the path. If you rotate them the seam is completely visible. Just use the texture facing the direction you want.

http://www.box.net/shared/0npahlcnqg

2. sawfish

sawfish

Hmmm... any particular reason for using 512 triangles on a tile? That seems a bit high for a relatively small square.

3. drewradley

drewradley

Nah. I just subdivided a square until it deformed smoothly. I'm going to make some at 256 and 128. I'll probably use the 512 myself since I like the quality I get from them better than smaller ones I tried.

4. drewradley

drewradley

Well, I tried to make one 256 Tris and it looks horrible! It's all creased and did not deform smoothly at all. Think I'll stick with 512 for the tiles. I've had 20 in my scene with no problems. Even on my crappy laptop I was able to quite a few with no slowdowns. If I were making strictly flat pieces I guess I could get away with much smaller but to have any hills or valleys the 512 looks much, much nicer.