Search Unity

SE Natural Bloom Dirty Lens

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sonicether, Apr 29, 2014.

1. elamhut

elamhut

Hey guys, I'm having a huge trouble getting the glow to work properly on particle effects. I think its mainly because of the lack of HDR in the particle color. All our particles are getting super saturated, almost white without any color inside in order to get the glow going. Anyone would have any tips regarding this?

2. Elecman

Elecman

You need to use the SE particle shader, or convert your own so it support HDR. Basically, only the fragment shader part is what you are interested in.

For example, this is what my own custom light shader looks like so it looks good with the SE bloom shader:

Code (CSharp):
    1. half4 frag(vertexOutput input) : COLOR{
    3.     //Compute the final color.
    4.     //Note: input.container.x fetches the gain from the vertex shader. No need to calculate this for each fragment.
    5.     half4 col = 2.0f * input.color * tex2D(_MainTex, input.uvs) * (exp(input.container.x * 5.0f));
    7.     //Enable fog. Use black due to the blend mode used.        
    8.     UNITY_APPLY_FOG_COLOR(input.fogCoord, col, half4(0,0,0,0));
    10.     return col;
    11. }
    In case you already use the SE particle shader, then you need to play around with the emission gain on the material, and the bloom on the SE bloom post processing MonoBehaviour.

3. elamhut

elamhut

Thank you very much Elec! I'll send this to the team and check if our Particle guy can make something out of this tip! :)

4. radiantboy

radiantboy

Im trying to add this to my FSPCamera in UFPS but it says the camera is not HDR or there is an image effect converting from HDR to LDR..

I have turned off anti aliasing in quality, and set up the cam to be HDR and changes the colour space but Im still getting this, any ideas?

5. Elecman

Elecman

Maybe your image effect stack is in the incorrect order? The tone mapper should be below the SE bloom script on the camera.

6. radiantboy

radiantboy

tonemapper? I dont have one, anyway I dont think I can use this script because as soon as I moved from Gamma to Linear the entire appearance of my game changed and looked pretty awful. I dont think its worth restyling an entire game for, or is there a dial to bring it back to looking normal? it kinda goes bright.

7. Elecman

Elecman

I am not an expert on the difference between Gamma and Linear, but from what I understand, it is better to design your game in Linear when you use HDR because it looks more correct.

Depending on how far you are in development you are right that it might not be worth the trouble to convert the look of all assets.

8. radiantboy

radiantboy

thanks, yes I cant count the amount of cash ive spent on assets that dont quite work with my set up and cannot be used, I just hope I can use it in different scenes, although you cant have scene specific project settings can you? In that case I will be requesting a refund.

9. Elecman

Elecman

Not sure about that one...

10. neroziros

neroziros

Is it possible to use this in forward rendering and with "depth only" flags?

11. djgriff

djgriff

Hi is this asset still supported.. on the asset page the email is non existent and the website is down..
    Does this asset work with Mobile.. looks awesome but if its a dead asset no point in investing..

Thanks

12. Elecman

Elecman

That depends on how you define supported. SE bloom itself is actually under development but SE rarely visits this thread.

13. djgriff

djgriff

Does it work on mobile do you know?
    Thanks

14. Elecman

Elecman

If the mobile device supports HDR then it should, but I am not sure if those devices already exist.

15. timothyallan

timothyallan

Performance is horrible on mobile. I think it says this in the Asset Description as well.

16. djgriff

djgriff

thanks for the replies..

Cheers

17. electrolyte

electrolyte

Hi,

I've looked through the forum and seen a similar problem I've been facing but is there a solution?

Once I have light baked a scene, sometime's faces produce too much emission and in effect blows out the screen to white. This error only appears at run time. Once you turn the settings of Natural Bloom to 0 you can see the texture error render as a white block - Here's some footage:

I also tried the edit mentioned in this thread of

Line 75: downsampled = source;

But this results in a white block, screen flashing to black or flashing colour tints over the entire view port.

Its been suggested that there is a NaN error and messing up.
    Has anyone ever had this same problem?
    Many thanks

18. electrolyte

electrolyte

I have found a solution, but not sure if it's a workaround of a bug:

Change Directional Mode in General GI to Directional Specular

This so far appears to fix all these artefacts. It does mean you can't target super old GFX cards but maybe that's not a problem. Hope this helps in the short term.

19. mehrankan

mehrankan

hi,
    is it possible for SE-Bloom to not pick up reflections on certain objects? for example I have a wall with some specs on it, and i don't want SE to add bloom to the specs on that wall.

20. _eternal

_eternal

Does this work for 2D sprites? I'm trying to give specific objects a glow effect, but Unity's Bloom only seems to apply to the whole screen.

21. Talthilas

Talthilas

Can this be used with forward rendering? If so, how do you set it up properly?

22. Ryunis

Ryunis

It's compatible with forward rendering, but it requires HDR, which means you have to disable anti-aliasing in the project quality settings and check the box in the camera settings.
    EDIT: Also I'd recommend linear color space.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    RB_lashman likes this.
  23. Ryunis

Ryunis

I quickly tried setting something up and here's how it looks: torches.png The image effect is being applied to the whole screen and reacts to HDR emission. You can assign sprite renderers a custom material with HDR properties, so the bloom only applies to certain sprites/areas of the sprite. (In this case I used the standard shader) If you have questions regarding the setup feel free to ask.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  24. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

That looks really nice.

Yes, please if you could share a sample project or unitypackage it would be great.

25. Ryunis

Ryunis

I wrote a little "tutorial" on how to set up the image effect and configure the sprites here: http://bit.ly/1OWvtxL
    You can download my project (without the image effect, obviously) here: http://bit.ly/1OmerEt
    Just import the asset and it should work.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  26. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

Highly appreciated. Thanks for sharing!

27. Bradamante

Bradamante

Just a little heads-up: With Unity 5.3 on Mac OS X.11.2 I am seeing a massive performance drop using Sonic Either Bloom. Here's a little test scene in a new project, with Sonic Bloom on and off:

With Unity 5.2.x and Mac OS X.9.x there was not near a similar performance drop - pretty much none at all. Hardware is a CustoMac with a GTX 760. I don't think the asset is to blame, it's either Apple or Unity. Unity 5.3 generally seems to have performance problems and bugs. Just a FYI.

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Don't think so. I'm pretty certain it's unity, not SE bloom. If you contest this, then post profiler shots. It's not enough to press stats button as it doesn't reveal anything whatsoever except general fps.

29. Bradamante

Bradamante

I am pretty sure you misread my post.

30. Arganth

Arganth

does this work with filmic tonemapping deluxe?
    (read of people having black screens)

any experiences?

31. elamhut

elamhut

I'm having some serious trouble with SE and Unity 5's lightmap...

I don't know why but my lightmap is creating some artifacts that look like this white square

But it gets worse because it seems that his white square is actually a ultra strong emiiter and when it gets paired with SE we get this:

And when I turn on my gamecamera, in the editor the white square goes black for no reason...

And white again as soon as I turn it off..

This is what it looks like during gameplay

And during gameplay we get random flashes of white light that we think are coming from this problem. Like a player would be walking than a point in the level would flash for an instant.

Could anyone give me a hand?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    Tinovdk likes this.
  32. Sprak

Sprak

I'm experiencing this well. Runs well in Unity 5.2.x on OSX 10.9, but really slow in 5.3 and OSX 11.1 (El Capitan). Hardware is Macbook Pro (GT 750M, mid-2014). Profiler doesn't reveal anything either, other than "Overhead" at >95%.

33. Tinovdk

Tinovdk

We are having similar problems with overexposed pixels. In some cases we can work out what it is. What you could try is to set your lightmaps to Truecolor instead of compressed. Hope it helps.

34. Alexsandro-Natsume

Alexsandro-Natsume

can we use it with half resolution ?

35. fairchild670

fairchild670

Running into the same performance issues here with OSX Yosemite. Actually I just updated to Unity 5.3.1p4 and here are a couple images of the frame rate and profiler while enabling/disabling SE. The "Overhead" shoots up considerably and the frame rate drops in half when SE is enabled.

36. elamhut

elamhut

I'm so sorry it took me this long to answer!

I'm going to try this out soon, thank you :) I'll come back with an edit on my findings

37. exoter

exoter

38. PsyDev

PsyDev

Hi, I just compiled for PS4 and got a bunch of shader compile errors. Mostly due to the use of float3. I think PS4 shaders need float4. Do you officially support PS4, and other platforms? If so, are you aware of these errors with any plan for a fix?

Thanks.

39. Ryunis

Ryunis

You could probably use it if you wrote your own shader, but since you're new to unity that's not an option I guess. Google for "unity object highlight", that should be closer to what you want.

40. Brechtos

Brechtos

Was running into the same issue and implemented a fix on my own. So basicly what is happening is that, in the latest version of Unity, whenever the enlighten light bake rays can't reach a surface (when using directional lightmaps and there are pointlights causing the lightmaps to be baked) the surface receives some crazy color value that results in a gigantic color value. (Under a non HDR camera it will look like full bright intense white and under a HDR camera it will appear black. I'm guessing this is because the value is actually the max float value resulting in the max value as an unsiged float (full white) and darkest value as a signed float. Just guessing here as I don't have that much experience with HDR and how Unity handles all of this internally)

Inside the SE Natural bloom, the first pass being applied is a "clamp" pass. Not sure why tbh but it's there. The implementation is in fact an upper clamp using the min() shader function between itself and a max value that is hardcoded at 100000.0. But because the color value of those surfaces is so high and the shader handles them as such a high value without taking into account that HDR thing, it will always end up at the 100000.0 max clamp color value.
    After this pass the blur and bloom are applied resulting in that gigantic blob of light.

Long story short and quick and dirty fix:
    Go to SENaturalBloomAndDirtyLens.cs.
    At line 69 you will find:
    Graphics.Blit(source, clampedSource, material, 4);
    Replace this with:
    Graphics.Blit(source, clampedSource);

This will skip the "clamp" and the prevent the unwanted alteration of the error color values to the clamp values and no more crazy light blips as a result.

This is essentially similar as doing the line75 adjustment fix but without performing the obsolete render pass and it should not leave you with the white blocks being rendered.

If you still get blackouts or flashes you can set up your scene to avoid as many bake errors as possible. For instance if you have a single sided surface (like a plain) blocking the light and causing surfaces to be unreachable by the gi bake rays you will always most likely end up with errors that break the shader.

I hope this helps, at least until the OP fixes this proper or Unity handles lightmap errors differently.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  41. Blasawebo

Blasawebo

Does anyone have a problem with the specular making a lot of noise like sparkling stars in Unity 5?? and if so, do you know how to fix it??

42. booyagrandmma

booyagrandmma

Hey there. Quick question, i'm not sure if it's been answered somewhere in this post but i couldn't find it based on an initial search. Basically i'm rendering out images using a rendertexture and saving them as PNG's with alpha. I'm able to capture the glow in the render only if something is rendered behind it. Otherwise it just gets cut out of the image. Is it possible to have the glow render with a proper alpha channel so it doesn't disappear when it's over nothing?

Also awesome product!

43. zenGarden

zenGarden

No new updates ?
    The product is on sale, but seeing some bugs , issues with Unity 5.3, and no support , it looks more like abandonned plugin; i am not sure it is a good idea to buy it ?

44. djgriff

djgriff

Anyone know if this asset is still supported?
    Website is down..
    last update some time ago..

Thanks

45. djgriff

djgriff

yeah support last post back in May.. dead I assume.. I do know Amplify have brought our a cool looking bloom.
    Think i'll try that one

46. Arganth

Arganth

SE was one my first things i bought ont he asset store.

Right now I would just spend a little extra and get amplifies bloom pack.

I would have expected to see sonic ether today on this thread, considering its on sale ^^

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

Unity Store should mention "deprecated" it to avoid selling a broken non supported plugin to users.

48. djgriff

djgriff

@zenGarden agree with that.
    @Arganth yeah thats my train of thought at the mo.. Even his website is down.. move on i think

49. chelnok

chelnok

I bought this last summer, and it was instalove. I haven't been using unity much past few months, but i did test this with Uber shaders and Alloy framework (edit: with Unity 5.3.2f1, OSX 10.9.5). It works, and it's as beautiful as i remembered. There seems to be some framerate drops tho, and i'm pretty sure there wasn't with previous (unity) versions.

Sonic seems to be still active with other project: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fu...obal-illumination.314748/page-10#post-2531538 I'm hoping he is kind of guy who likes to focus one thing at the time, and fix this later.

Anyway, i would buy it on sale, and hope that @sonicether or community (source included) fix the performance issue at some point. Then again, i have no idea if there is some other good or better bloom plugins in asset store today.

50. zenGarden

zenGarden

We can't buy a plugin with the mention "fixes later", and no support, no plugin sit, this means he let down the plugin to work on the most recent ones as they are better.
    Anyway, for me this is deperacted and i won't put money on it, move on to recent plugins instead.