Search Unity

Scrubbing timeline freezes Unity eats all RAM

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Kholeslaw, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Kholeslaw

Kholeslaw

Does anyone else have an issue when timeline tries to transition from one Cinemachine vcam to another it freezes for a long time, eventually eating all available system RAM?

I have to force-close Unity every 5 min. This Timeline I'm working on is unusable now since all it does is eats 30gigs of ram.

I have several CM virtual cam cuts in a row one every 4 seconds. However it does this with every camera in the timeline. If you scrub to another position that has a different cam, it freezes.
    cinetimeline.png

2020-07-09 13_00_48-Resource Monitor.png

2. Kholeslaw

Kholeslaw

Unity 2019.4.3
    Latest release of Timeline and Cinemachine.

However, I have rolled back to 2019.4.2 and tried different earlier versions of Timeline and Cinemachine. It has changed nothing.

3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

1. Does it happen when you use CM 2.5.0?
    2. Can you prepare a small project that reproduces this?

4. Kholeslaw

Kholeslaw

I'll try that version and see what happens. thx

5. Kholeslaw

Kholeslaw

Yes. It is usable again. Thanks for the save.

I'm kind of in a crunch right now to get this done because if this issue, so I don't have time this week to try replicating it.

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I understand you're in a crunch, so I'll try to repro myself. I don't quite understand your description. Can you post a full picture of your timeline, showing all the cameras?

7. Kholeslaw

Kholeslaw

Hi, Here are screens of everything I can think of.
    It is not a complex setup. The cams are default settings.

Every camera transition (from one cam to another) caused unity to freeze, each time compounded into longer and longer freezes until all the RAM was consumed. Then unity just froze forever.

I was using the new update of Unity 2019.4.3 and had updated to the latest releases (in Package Manager) of Timeline and Cinemachine. One (or all) of these was a mistake, since I did not experience this issue before.

This was a brand new timeline created after those updates.

I had a timeline with just one vcam blending to a second vcam and it froze unity when trying to scrub timeline.

The part of the timeline where i had four vcam sequential shots in a row is what I was referring to earlier. It locked up Unity for over an hour.

thanks!

Attached Files:

Gregoryl likes this.
  8. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I've tried to repro your issue, but without success. Any chance that you can put together a small project that shows this problem?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  9. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

We also encounter that bug here. It eats up quite some RAM, but definitely less than what Kholeslaw encountered.
    The problem only arises with cinemachine in play.
    Timeline in the project worked fine before. After adding cinemachine, adding a brain to the main cam, creating two virtual cams and adding those onto a cinemachine track inside a previously unproblematic timeline...things go south.

Downgrading to Cinemachine 2.5.0 seems to have fixed the issue. Issue happened with latest version of 2019.4.4.
    We are checking, if we can create a project that makes things reproducable so we can send it over...will give an update for that.

I just wanted to let people know, that this can be a thing and that 2.5.0 seems to not have the issue.

10. Jezzah

Jezzah

I'm also having major problems with Timeline / Cinemachine. It is unusable until this is fixed.

Unity 2019.3.15f1
    Timeline 1.2.15
    Cinemachine 2.6.0

11. marchall_box

marchall_box

Is this fixed? I am on 2.6.0 and it is still eating up chunks of ram and getting super laggy on camera transition on the timeline..

12. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Yes, this is fixed in CM 2.6.2. It was a bug involving the interaction between CM and PostProcessing v2.

SamRock, adamstepinski and Kholeslaw like this.