Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ScrollViews -- strange behavior and super buggy

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MrLucid72, Sep 24, 2017.

1. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Although this has been posted about for years (some by me, some by others) with no attention, I thought I'd try again after keeping a small bug journal and throw all the bugs on the table at once -- and these are just the ones I saved/recorded. My expectation is same as previous attempts: to be ignored for another year. But hey, here's to trying:

ALL of these bugs shown below are in 5.6.x, called a stable version:

Here's a short GIF screencast and you can see what I mean:

http://recordit.co/nzY5kjKjtS

• #Off-topic: In the 1st few seconds, you'll see the annoying garbled text bug that's been here since 2016
      (caused by either unfocusing/refocusing Unity or just simply clicking on a UI element for larger project sizes):

• Many times, the template child of Content (of a scroll rect) will collapse upon itself. I can't stretch it or anything and looks super awkward to work with (EDIT: Is this this the same issue?):
    • Sometimes it will randomly show (some combination of moving it, then CTRL+Z to undo. Undoing sometimes triggers it to show again -- but in another buggy form):

• But, even then, it's still partially collapsed on itself. Notice how I'm trying to transform it, but the the width is 0. You CAN try to stretch it from 0. And it DOES show, but only until I let go of the mouse (and with a big red "X" as I do it):

• Then, of course, my favorite -- when it randomly bounces barely out of view, unable to drag back, unable to anchor, unable to mess with it at all. If you TRY, either nothing happens or it will collapse upon itself until you restart Unity, which, IF LUCKY.... will cause everything to bounce back to normality -___-
    Yep. While I've seen complaints about these scroll rects that stretch back for years, it seems that there's been almost no effort to fix them, following the patch notes.

Less fluff features >> more bug fixes pls~ Sure, features sell more, but stability outlives all and a truly stable product will sell itself.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Playing with them more -- can anyone explain this behavior to me?

Then turning Vertical Layout Group to force width to control child size in a scrollRect does this:

and undoing ... keeps it that way!

http://recordit.co/PBB3ytwejk

EDIT: Then this just happened

EDIT 2:

Now check this out:

http://recordit.co/jWaCHzskY6

EDIT 3:

Apparently my template will hide when it's active and shouldn't be hiding, then setting it inactive will shift to the right, then setting it active again will set it back in place and show like it's supposed to:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017