Search Unity

Scripting noob looking for advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raptor5399, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

So going through the Unity documentation scripting doesn't look all that bad I cant tell from looking at the examples what is being used. C# Java Boo?

I want to start of on the right foot so what would be best for scripting in Unity and allow the most potential for porting to things like Mac, PC, iPhone, etc since I know not every platform supports all the same languages?

(I'm leaning towards C# for no specific reason)

Thanks!

2. CogCode

CogCode

Ooh, I love a good religious discussion!!! :D

First of all, if I'm not mistaken, Unity supports all three scripting languages on all target platforms, so that shouldn't be an issue for you, unless you decide to step out of the Unity scripting world.

EDIT
    Oops! I may be wrong here... I don't see anything in the iPhone docs about Boo support. So if you're going to be doing any iPhone games with Unity, you might want to avoid Boo.
    /EDIT

That said...

Javascript is said to be easiest to learn and seems to have the most examples available for Unity scripting. It also has a little more sparse syntax than C#.

But some people swear by Boo as well, and love the syntax and power.

Then again, C# is supposed to be the most appropriate language for Mono/.NET work.

Personally, I'm partial to C#, but a lot of that is because I've been using it since it was a brand new beta language from Microsoft.

Java/Javascript always feels to me like I'm programming with mittens on.

And as a guy who cut his professional teeth on "C" in the early 80s, Python and Python-like languages such as Boo feel odd to me, even thought I've worked with Python quite a bit. But it just never sunk in and felt "native" to me like C# does.

Anyway, I understand why you would want to make the "right" choice early on, but I'm sure that any one of those three languages would be just fine for Unity game development.

3. CogCode

CogCode

4. Raptor5399

Raptor5399

Thanks, multitasking makes me forget the obvious sometimes.

5. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Also, remember to check out the FAQ stickies before posting - useful threads on common subjects are linked from there :)

Regarding language choice: Notice that Boo is not currently a supported language on unity iPhone.

6. Scrat

Scrat

Oh and just so you know, Java and Javascript (or UnityScript, here) are not the same... Java looks more like C# than Javascript.