Search Unity

Scripting Help needed - script kin of a plugin system

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Eneco, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Eneco

Eneco

Hello

For a game I'm currently working i want to create a set of Debuffs/Buff that can be effect players and characters in C#.

I'm not a coding noob, but i'm lack of coding techniques / processes like using namespaces correctly or inheritance.

So i'm asking here for a little help how to go on on this problem.

I want to create a basic script for a buff-system which includes a basic script work.
    When i want a "template"/ script that sits on top of that basic script, that can be used (like the "public class Buff: BuffSystem" or so) to create a new buff.
    all i need to do to create a new buff is to replace some lines of code and "rename" the script. Every new buff is added as a script file and the buff is added to a global list in eg. BuffSystem. And then i can call it by the name (i think is a little than that :D ) to trigger the effect. i think its like the "Car - SUV - Porsche" system?

How do i start building up such a system? Useful tutorials/examples would also help!

Thank you

2. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

There are 100 ways to skin that cat.

However, I generally follow this rule:

If you can't see the obvious cases of polymorphism in your design, chances are it's not going to be polymorphic.

I've done a few games that have systems similar to what you describe, none of them heavy relied on inheritance.

3. Eneco

Eneco

sure there may be different solutions for that, but i think this way i can add/remove some "buffs" and carry them over to other games?

otherwise what's a more practical solution for that?