Search Unity

Scripting fails!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MTracerStudios, Aug 21, 2011.

1. MTracerStudios

MTracerStudios

Hi, I thought I'd start a light hearted thread where we can all write about our biggest scripting fails, assuming we know about them.

I'll start with mine.

I just realized that a critical variable was being initialized in the update function as well as the start function, meaning that it never had any useful data in it. Lol.

Have fun!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Its not fun. I have 30,000 lines of code, its just not fun lol.

3. TehWut

TehWut

trying to script.

4. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Saving a script from Visual Studio in to the wrong directory and then tearing my hair out for 10 minutes trying to find out why Unity keeps throwing an error every time I try and instantiate that class.

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

Right now I'm experiencing one of those situations where a bug that you know you found and fixed months ago has somehow been re-introduced... and you can't remember how you found and fixed it the first time.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

well, my problem is that the app is pretty much done and most old hands at coding will know exactly what I am talking about when I say it gets harder and harder to add more stuff near when it's complete because the code is positively monolithic at that point, and even the best coding practises can't save you from bugs creeping in then.

7. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Good software development has very little to do with writing code. :)