Search Unity

Scripting behaviours of items and abilities

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TheBlueDragon, Sep 13, 2019.

1. TheBlueDragon

TheBlueDragon

Hello!
    I'm using ScriptableObjects to create items and abilities as easily changeable assets. They contain fields like name, id, description, cost, icon, type etc. I would like to additionally assign behaviors based on needs. For instance: healing item should heal for X on use, healing ability should heal for X based on formula referring to player statistics.

And here is where my problem begins. I would like to assign one or more of such "custom" behaviors (probably as scripts) to item and ability assets, optimally in inspector.

Some ideas/thoughts:
    - ScriptableObject could handle this logic. I could add such scripts to items/spells assets and let them handle the logic. Sadly, these ScriptableObject would require assets that must be customized. When I need healing behavior for multiple potions, it would require creating a new separate asset for each item, each with a different value. This may be chaotic, if one item would combine multiple behaviors.
    Another and better option I see is to create one ScriptableObject uniquely for each item/ability (with everything that item needs), which could be loaded and activated via CreateInstance(string) with the name of wanted script - which would not require creating of additional assets.
    - I could give up items/abilities as ScriptableObjects and switch to classes using interfaces/inheritance. It would easily allow each item/spell to run specific logic on use. However, coding of every spell/item as a separate class sounds like pain while I can benefit from flexibility. Interfaces and inheritance have own downsides in flexible/big project.
    - Create a custom class for scripts, that could be added and edited directly in assets of abilities/items. However, I'm not sure if it is possible and I'm still learning editor/inspector scripting. It would be great to be able to add custom behavior scripts (in some form) to ScriptableObjects assets of items/abilities via Unity inspector. Additionally, it would be great if scripts would be unique for each item/ability they are attached to (unlike ScriptableObjects that are asset-based) and their values could be edited inside of item/ability asset inspector. It sounds like a pain to program.
    - I would like to follow principle of component-based design. Behaviors of items/abilities could be set with combinations of elements like: custom targeting script complemented with animation/on-hit script.

Any suggestions for most optimal solutions for this issue? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  2. Dorscherl

Dorscherl

Looking for something similar, not sure how to link abilities to items while letting some abilities be independent and vice versa. An ability where it summons a sword to use for a duration for example or a armor that grants a double jump or shield projection