Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Scripted tile, improvements and additions.

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by castor76, Dec 18, 2016.

1. castor76

castor76

I have been taking a look at the scriptable tiles and while they do look like it has a lots of possibilities with expansions but I think it needs a bit more care and help in order for us to take advantage on them.

For example, terrain tile does a good job when the tiles are independent of orientation but it is not going to work when the orientation becomes is important. The example tile is working because it doesn't matter which way the tile sprite is rotated, but if we use the tiles such as plank of wood or brick that requires the details of the tile to be orientated in such way, it can't be used. So we need some way to be able to define tile variations depending on the orientation of the neighboring tiles. Rotorz tile asset in the asset store does this job really nicely. I think the current terrain tile script can be modified to make it work with extra set of tiles and use no rotation so that we can specify exactly what tile to be used in certain situation. It might also work if we can toggle the usage of rotation per each variation of the tile input ( in 0, 90, 180, 270 ). So basically expand the terrain tile to be made without auto rotating the tiles ( this may mean more slots to be filled in ) but optional rotation property per slot so that the sprites themselves can be reused if desired.

Also, I have been trying to understand the logic behind terrain tile script, but it lacks comments and documentation for me to fully understand what exactly it is doing to achieve its effects.

Another nice feature to have is to let variations to be linked to the each slot of tiles in terrain tile, so that we can create more interesting tilesets.

Here is picture of how Rotorz does it. As you can see the UI let you define neighboring cases and then let you link the tiles associated with it, giving possibility of adding variations. It even has percentage for spawn if painting it using random feature is used. ( But no optional rotation per tile )

I really love how Unity's tilemap feature is evolving, it just needs to get to the par level with other good assets in the asset store. The reason why I am looking closely at Unity's native solution instead of using third party tool is because it opens up possibility of letting user to create their own tile using the Unity editor for modding purpose. Otherwise, we will have to implement one in runtime which is a bit of pain.

rakkarage likes this.
  2. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Some good points. The idea is to allow developers to create their own tile and brush scripts which allows more flexibility. The plan is to release these scripts and more to use as you want or examples/templates to start creating your own.

3. nasly

nasly

this is also my question

4. nasly

nasly

wait in hope

5. castor76

castor76

If there is some more explanation or documentation on how these scripted tiled worked then perhaps we could start creating our own. I am a bit puzzled on how its bit shifting worked in order to detect which neighbor tiles exist or not etc..