Search Unity

Question ScriptableObject asset gets reset by other team member (2019.4.2f1)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by melos_han_tani, Nov 11, 2021.

1. melos_han_tani

melos_han_tani

Hi, I am storing some data in a single asset based on this ScriptableObject class:

upload_2021-11-11_10-11-54.png

This is the asset:

upload_2021-11-11_10-12-42.png

PROBLEM: Whenever the other team member gets this file from version control (while unity is open), the file gets reset to its default values.

Here is the code I use to load the asset into an editorwindow.

upload_2021-11-11_10-15-22.png

(The commented out part was when I had code that would create the asset, but I only need one of the asset so I commented it out.)

---

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but in some other functions, 'data' is accessed.

OnGUI:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         active_palette_index = EditorGUILayout.Popup("Palette", active_palette_index, data.palette_names);

Update:
    Code (CSharp):
    3.        if (!data) {
    4.             return;
    5.         }
    8. // Elsewhere in the Update() look:
    10.             SerializedObject data_so = new SerializedObject(data);
    11.             data_so.Update();
    12.             active_palette_sp_array = data_so.FindProperty(data.palette_names[active_palette_index] + "_prefabs");
    14. ---

Anyways, what am I doing wrong? Is there a better or proper place to load the palette data? Thanks.

2. melos_han_tani

melos_han_tani

One thing I realized is that I don't actually need to turn it into a SerializedObject as I'm never modifying the ScriptableObject asset from my scripts. Could that be causing a problem?

3. melos_han_tani

melos_han_tani

Well, I seem to have fixed it. (We'll see, though... ) Removing "AssetDatabase.Refresh()" did the trick. I have zero idea why this is the case, but who cares!

Some things I learned in the meantime:

My SerializedObject code would have no effect, as it only reads the properties. I would need to call "ApplyModifiedProperties" on the SerObj to have modified the on-disk ScrObj.

Fields in the ScrObj class being private - or any custom data types - not marked as serializable, would cause problems. But I wasn't doing that.

Likewise, if I were to modify the ScrObj in my custom EditorWindow, then I'd need to call "mark dirty" or something. But that's a bad idea since whole SerObj API is meant to handle that stuff for you.