Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Scriptable Render Pipeline releases supported by Unity versions?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by dsuoch-intel, Sep 5, 2018.

1. dsuoch-intel

dsuoch-intel

Hey,

I'm currently trying to play around with LWSRP and HDSRP in a vanilla project (so I don't need any other plugins to work). I want to use the most a recent but relatively stable version for my investigation. I'm aware that "the Master branch is our current development branch and may not work on the latest publicly available version of Unity" as stated in the repository.

Current Unity 2018.2.6f1 works with version 3.00 preview of SRP which shows up as the latest in the package manager. But it is quite old (July 16th) and the release page shows me that there are 3 more releases (3.10, 3.20, 3.30) available. But none of those tagged SRP packages work for me. Actually there is apparently even version 3.40 according to the change log which did not yet get tagged for some reason.

I just wonder at this point what is a release? With what version of Unity do the developers test? I mean there must have been some compatibility testing even if it is experimental. Maybe this got announced somewhere in this forum but search didn't turn up anything and neither did the last pages of the pinned thread (btw, a pinned thread for just announcing releases would be helpful too). If the github release page release notes would mention which Unity version is required that would be super helpful! Otherwise with the short release cycles of Unity and potential incompatibilities or regressions this can get challenging really fast.

And including the changes again since the last version would be the cherry on top. Earlier releases did that, not sure why it stopped.

Thank you and keep up the good work y'all! :)
    Didi

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@dsuoch-intel 3.1+ releases are for 2018.3, they don't work on 2018.2. If you have access to the actual packages, they are marked to require 2018.3.

3. dsuoch-intel

dsuoch-intel

@rizu Thanks for your reply. It works via the package manager to get a version that is compatible with my Unity version, but for my project I wanted to get a more uptodate version (3.00 vs 3.40) and include it as recommend on the github project page and the documentation.

4. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

like he said 3.x.x versions are 2018.3 only. 3.0.0 slipped in with 2018.2, this version uses 2.x.x versions. So you wanting to use 3.4.0 would require you to get the 2018.3 beta and then there's some extra work to get the GitHub version working currently. Soon enough 3.4.0 will be a package so you can also wait for that.

hippocoder likes this.
  5. dsuoch-intel

dsuoch-intel

Thanks again. I get that now. It's all good, I certainly can wait.

What unfortunately seems to be missed by everyone though is that how (relatively) hard it was to get that information.