Search Unity

Script to change shader but not texture

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by NvdL, May 28, 2017.

1. NvdL

NvdL

Hello all,

I am trying to change the shader of a particular game object with texture through a script in the editor (ie not during gameplay). I am using the following lines of code. However, not only the shader it changed, also the texture is changed (to the default white). What I would like to accomplish is to change the shader from default to unlit/texture but to keep the existing texture.
    Shader unlitShader = new Shader(Shader.Find("Unlit/Texture"));
    gameObj.GetComponent<Renderer>().material.shader = unlitShader;

I also tried to do it without making a new shader with the line below. However, in that case I get the message that "Instantiating material due to calling renderer.material during edit mode. This will leak materials into the scene. You most likely want to use renderer.sharedMaterial instead."
    gameObj.GetComponent<Renderer>().material.shader = Shader.Find("Unlit/Texture");

I hope you can give me any clues on how to proceed. Many thanks in advance!

Best,
    Nynke

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

Store references to texture in teh script, when initializing the material, pass those texture references.

3. NvdL

NvdL

Thanks for the suggestion. I found a different workaround by first creating a temporary material based on the material on the object, shanging the shader in the temporary material and putting that back on the object.
    var tempMaterial = new Material(gameObj.GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterial);
    tempMaterial.shader = Shader.Find("Unlit/Texture");
    gameObj.GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterial = tempMaterial;