Search Unity

Utilities Script Inspector 3

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Flipbookee, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Absolutely yes! It's still in pre-beta though unless I get positive feedback from them (I'm still waiting). I'll send you the invitation anyway ;) in about 2 hours. Thanks!

2. LoTekK

LoTekK

Hi there! What would it take to get on the pre-beta testing on this? I've had it up to here with Monodevelop, and would love to test drive this in a live environment (ie, at work; though also for my own personal projects). Would I need to purchase v2 on the asset store first? (I'm admittedly hesitant, mainly because I rely heavily on intellisense and things like jump to declaration, which I understand are features v2 doesn't have).

3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I can send you a copy of the latest pre-beta in about 3 hours from now, if that's okay? No need to purchase it, take a look first and then you can decide ;)

LoTekK likes this.
  4. LoTekK

LoTekK

That would be very much appreciated! On your own time, though, don't rush on my account :)

5. ryleigh

ryleigh

Could I get in on the pre-beta too? :)

6. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Sure, my friend! :)

Beta candidate 11 is almost ready, with some fixes and improvements. I'll send you that one if you can wait a little bit... Not for too long, I hope this will be ready in only few hours.

Also this version comes with Ctrl+S shortcut for saving and Ctrl+Z for Undo, but only on Windows for now. I've done something that used to be impossible :cool:

ryleigh and shkar-noori like this.
  7. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Amazing, I've been using Si2 for a ~year~ now and its awesome..

I really would like the auto completion feature.. I'll be happy to help you and the least i can do is be a beta tester...if you don't mind, cause I really like catching bugs :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  8. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, and I like bug catchers the most. :D

I'll message you too!

shkar-noori likes this.
  9. MrMassively

MrMassively

Awesome work
    Flipbookee, can i signup for the pre beta too?

I really like to test out if you dont mind.

let me know

thanks

10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Cool! Check your inbox in 5 minutes ;)

11. MrMassively

MrMassively

Thank you,
    i received the pm,
    will check it out.

thanks again

12. MrMassively

MrMassively

quick question:
    is the Reference highlighting disabled in current beta?
    mine does not seem to work.

13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ah yes! Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I had to do that while I was solving other issues, and those are solved now so it will be enabled for the next update.

14. MrMassively

MrMassively

Any chance for a quick fix?, i relay heavily in reference highlighting,
    i just really hate going back and fort between script inspector and NotePad ++ for just that particular feature.
    is this something i can tweak myself to enable it? please let me know.

thanks in advanced.

15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I already started restoring that, but I need a little bit more time. I'll finish it I hope by tonight, so I'll send you all the update.

16. MrMassively

MrMassively

awesone,

thank you very much, will appreciate it.

regards

17. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

My project is all in Javascript, ~80,000 of lines, so I would really appreciate the java version so I can help more with beta testing,

18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@MrMassively : I'm still working on that, stay tuned ;)

@Shkarface Noori : Ah man, I'll be missing you! :(... Once C# is released I'll continue with JS, so your help then instead will be much appreciated!

shkar-noori likes this.
  19. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Don't worry :), I will be testing through out my way. cause I really like the plugin and I want it to success :D.

20. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

Hi Flipbookee

i love script inspector! I've completed a whole project with it! see here: flavourit - my cookbook
    if you need any more pre beta testers i would love to join in!

cheers

21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey Marc, that's amazing! I guess I'll have to prepare a "Made with Script Inspector" logo :p

Nice app too! My wife will love it :)

I was preparing the beta 1 yesterday evening hoping to get that ready so I can send it to you guys, but I didn't finish it by only a very little bit. So for now I'll send you the last pre-beta instead and later today the first beta will be distributed.

The beta will only be available by email in the beginning, so guys, PM me your email address if you haven't done that yet. The fun begins tonight :D

22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@propeller I've been trying to PM you for the last half an hour, but I can't start a new conversation. PM me or email me on flipbookee at gmail dot com, please.

23. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

Thank you! :)
    I have sent you a message (PM)! Can't wait to try it out!

24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Sent out... Can't wait to hear your thoughts :)

25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

In all the rush yesterday to make sure everything is ready to start the beta I forgot to mention here that I've sent the Beta 1!!! :cool:

I may have forgotten to include all maybe, so please let me know if that was you! ;) If anyone else is interested there's still space so just let me know and you'll get the next available version. Just note that I'd need your email address because that's the fastest and easiest way for me to distribute the updates.

So far the reactions are very encouraging and a few issues have already been reported. I'll try to solve as many of them by tonight and then release Beta 2.

Today for the first time I had some time and a chance to try Si3 on something other than fixing its own code and debugging it. So here's my "first" impression: IT'S AMAZINGLY FAST!!! But that might be just me :p hehe, so don't take that too serious. Let's better wait for someone from testing team to say how it feels... Till then, I'm back on fixing those issues for Beta 2 =)

26. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

If we purchase Script Inspector 2 now, will Script Inspector 3 be a free upgrade from 2, or will that be a separate plugin?

27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, yes, the current Si2 will become Si3, so free to upgrade for all previous owners even from version 1.0 :)

28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I don't know if that sounds stupid, but the reasoning behind that is that Script Inspector would never become what it is today without the great support, awesome suggestions, and help of early adopters, so this is my tiny reward to all of them :D and it will continue like that in the future. All the new users should know that if they find Si3 being awesome that's not only because of me but also because of the community behind it, so say thanks to them ;)

mcmorry likes this.
  29. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I follow the instruction and removed any trace of my old Script Inspector 2, and after importing, it gave me this error:

ScreenShot.jpg

Also, about the font file, is it possible to just save the settings to a cfg file and then load it upon SI start?

30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hmm, seems like you're on OS X but for some strange reason my Windows specific code in FGKeyboardHook.cs still gets executed. That could only happen if the built-in script define UNITY_EDITOR_OSX is missing somehow, or maybe I did something wrong while porting it back to Unity 3.5... What's the Unity version you got this error in? I'll try to repro that.

Anyway, just delete the FGKeyboardHook.cs script since that's all Windows specific code only, and it will work just fine. I can't wait to hear your impressions too :)

31. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I am still on Unity 3.5.7, OSX 10.6.8.

32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yeah, I checked. That scripting define was introduced with Unity 4 only, but don't worry, there's another way of doing that in Unity 3.5, just I didn't know that :p

So, thanks man, you helped me find one bug more! :cool: Looking forward to your feedback!

33. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

So far, I just found :

1. *.txt file support is now gone. SI3 won't open .txt file.
    2. *.Shader files are now not highlighted like SI2.

I think you havn't enable those files format right? That's understandable. But don't forget to re-enable them later ;)

I will play with it some more later :D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Text files should still be supported, check again please...

Yes, it is mentioned in the release notes - syntax highlighting of everything else other than C# is not transformed to the new internal format and algorithms yet. In fact the new tokenizer in Si3 is about 20 times faster compared to the old tokenizer used in Si2, so I decided to completely remove the old tokenizer code and now I have to rewrite it using the new algorithms. Not a big deal really, most of the tokenizer code for C# is written in a reusable manner so that it can be used for other languages too, but earlier I was so busy fixing auto-completion related issues that I didn't have any time for that... As I'm now quickly running out of bugs I can start working on that too... And once that's done and I get some more feedback from you guys, Si3 will go in open beta and replace Si2 in the Asset Store. :D

35. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Okay, started a new project with brand new SI3, start a new script and with nothing written on it, and this error pops up: Screen.jpg

I tried several times. It simply won't open .txt file.

EDIT: That is weird. I just tried it again and now it worked! I will try it some more. :D

36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hmm, I'll check that with the text files... Thanks!

The "error" is a warning only, a note to myself that I've done something wrong, so I'll check that too. Nice find!

37. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

This is bizzare. If I load SI3 in my old project with a lot of extensions the txt file will simply NOT be displayed. But if I start a brand new project, with nothing but SI and Favorite tab, it will be fine.
    It feels like some extensions I have is blocking the SI3 from displaying .txt file.
    Sigh, it looks like it could be a long process of removing extensions one by one to find the culprit.:(

38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Maybe I can help? Tell me what happens exactly? Can you see the text file in the Inspector through Si3? If yes can you open it in a new Si3 tab with Cmd-T or using the first toolbar button? If not, will it open if you drag-drop the text file on a Si3 tab showing a script?

39. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Tried it several times, the SI3 tab doesn't even appear (which is very weird).
    This is all in the same project same session.
    Load the AutoQualityChooser.js script as shown below, loads fine.

SI3-Error-1.jpg
    Then tried loading the "description.txt" just below it and SI3 doesn't even appear.
    SI3-Error-2.jpg
    Same thing, loading AboutFavoritesTab.cs and it loads fine. SI3-Error-3.jpg
    But loading the _readme.txt just above it this will appear:
    SI3-Error-4.jpg

This bug seems to ONLY affects the *.txt file (What do you have against txt file!? :D). *.shader file loads fine too.

EDIT: The .htm & .html file don't work either. I think most of the text assets will have the same problem (unlike in SI2 which loads them fine).

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextAsset.html
    • .txt

• .html

• .htm

• .xml

• .bytes

• .json

• .csv

• .yaml

• .fnt

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  40. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

SpectralRook and Flipbookee like this.
  41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @I am da bawss, I just tried it on both Unity 3.5.0 and 3.5.7 in Mac and text files work fine, so there must something else in your project conflicting with Si3's custom inspector for TextAssets. Search all your scripts for this code:
    Code (csharp):
    1. [CustomEditor(typeof(TextAsset))]
    and if that extension is available in source code you'll find it easily. If you don't find it then try searching for "CustomEditor" or "TextAsset" only because there might be some spaces in that line, so you'll find all occurrences and then manually check them all. If you find it just try removing that extension and your text assets will show in Si3 too.

What's weird is that you were saying it used to work fine with Si2 but now it doesn't with Si3. The only reason I can think of to cause this is if that other plugin which makes the conflict was previously ignored by Unity and Si2 was taking precedence, but Si3 now doesn't. That may make sense as Si3 now lives in one of the first-pass assemblies, which I had to do to avoid the need for Unity to recompile its source code whenever you save a modified script (unless your scripts are also part of the first-pass assembly). This has reduced compile time, but introduced this new issue... It would be great if you can find out which extension is doing that!

Unfortunately, when I tried it now code completion didn't work on my Mac in Unity 3.5 :( there's a NullReferenceException happening in Unity's own GUI code. Does it work for you? I guess not, otherwise you'd be very excited about that ;)... On Windows it works fine even in Unity 3.5, and I'm not doing anything differently, so I'll have to spend some time to find out what else needs to be done there. Lack of stack trace coming from my code will make that a bit more difficult but I hope not unsolvable...

42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

43. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

Very well said. The following quote from your review pretty much sums it up for me. If your project is in C# you should....

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello there,

I got this error today, after this, the content below the error become blank
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    2. Parameter name: index
    3. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[ScriptInspector.SyntaxToken].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    4. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.GetReferenceHighlightStyle (ScriptInspector.SyntaxToken token) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:3266)
    5. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.DoGUI (Boolean enableGUI) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:2624)
    6. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.DoGUIWithAutocomplete (Boolean enableGUI) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:1532)
    7. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.OnWindowGUI (UnityEditor.EditorWindow window, UnityEngine.RectOffset margins) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:1406)
    8. ScriptInspector.FGCodeWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGCodeWindow.cs:728)
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Can not reproduce as it only occurs after I typed the dot after a specific local variable. I tried to copy the content of the file to a new file and try to put a dot after that local variable like I did in the original file but the lattter did not yield any error / missing text like the original file :( so I guess the reason is not binded to specific syntax or file structure ...

45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @thienhaflash for reporting the crash! I've fixed this already a few days ago ;) so it will come in Beta 3.

I'm working on improving the workflow after saving changes, which has delayed the release of Beta 3. Saving frequently is too much time consuming because compiling and reloading the assemblies takes a couple of seconds and Script Inspector is not usable during that time, so I've decided to take your and @Novack's suggestion to find a better workflow. So far the best seems to be Ctrl+S to save changes (which takes no time at all) and to "mark" the script as it needs to be compiled instead of compiling it immediately. If you want to compile the changes all you have to do is either press Ctrl-S again or simply enter game mode in Editor. :cool:

So far this workflow works perfectly for me, but I need to test it a bit more before I send you guys the Beta 3.

46. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Code (CSharp):
    1.  If you want to compile the changes all you have to do is either press Ctrl-S again
    This will not work for me sadly :( I hit Ctrl+S a thousand of times per minute and still don't want it to compile :( How about an option to turn off auto-compile completely ? And, like Novack's request, a button to press when I really want to compile ?

47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hehe, I see ;) but let me clarify that again. Pressing Ctrl+S in a modified script will do a quick save. Pressing it again will do compile/reload... But then yeah, if you're pressing Ctrl+S multiple times repeatedly this will not work for you. So I'll add an option to disable compile on second save and another different shortcut to compile/reload.

48. Novack

Novack

Wooohoo!!
    Awesome news man. Was precisely wondering how it would be doing :)

49. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I found that exact line in:
    VizioTextAssetsCustomerEditor.cs from Antares Universe.
    The funny thing is I am using SI2 to look for those lines :) It works perfectly but as soon as I import SI3 all aforementioned text file format will stop working. So how do I fix it? I don't remove Antares Universe. Is there anyway to avoid this conflict?

Nope, not working.

50. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Great! Just comment out that line and it will be fine :D

Yeah, I'll have to find a solution for Unity 3.5 on OS X... There's no point for you to use it before that, unless you want to try it in Unity 4.0+, or maybe on Windows?