Search Unity

Utilities Script Inspector 3

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Flipbookee, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @tosiabunio, yes, I can make the Tab work as you say! It actually does work as you say - I just checked that on Windows and Tab only completes the word, but it doesn't insert a Tab character unless the word was already fully typed in with its correct capitalization. Of course, I can change that and add an option to customize the behavior.

Or does it work differently for you? If yes, please tell me what OS and Unity version you work with?

2. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

Yes, it works differently for me, but not on all my machines. One of those react for Tab as expected, other autocomplete and add tab as well, as shown here:

All machines are Windows, Unity 2017.2.0. There may be some settings differences between them but I don't know what exactly those may be yet.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Flipbookee likes this.
  3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That's really strange. It works fine on my Windows machine I tested yesterday, and I'm pretty sure it's same on the other one, but I'll check again...

Can you please check is this maybe related to some other plugin you may have in the project? Just create a new empty project, import Si3 in it and try it there.

I'll have to find a way to reproduce that, otherwise I won't be able to fix it. I may ask you to help me with that if I cannot reproduce it here.

4. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

I'm using spaces instead of tabs - when I turn that option off, the autocompletion works as expected. That's your repro.

Flipbookee likes this.
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@tosiabunio, you know what? You are amazing! :D

Thanks man - this should be an easy fix. :) I'll let you know very soon...

6. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, here's the fix:

Please open FGTextEditor.cs (press Alt+Shift+O from anywhere in Unity to find and open a script in Si3) then find this line in it (there's only one occurrence in it):
    Code (csharp):
    1. else if (insertedChar[0] != '\t')
    then replace the part "insertedChar[0]" with "Event.current.character", so that this line becomes:
    Code (csharp):
    1. else if (Event.current.character != '\t')
    Now save that, wait a few seconds for Unity to recompile and reload assemblies, and try the fix - it should work now :)... Congrats! You've become a magician by editing the code of the code editor used to edit that code, fixing it to work the way it should without even closing or restarting it, so enjoy the magic of that moment for a little bit :)

Thanks again for the great find and for helping me fix this bug! I'll release this fix on Asset Store by the end of this week if you could confirm it works correctly now.

tosiabunio likes this.
  7. sngdan

sngdan

@Flipbookee

Have you looked into 2017.3 assembly definition files? If I understand this correct, it enable you to only recompile SI3 in case of any changes to its own scripts. This would be a big plus (time + keep si working in case of script errors elsewhere)

Flipbookee likes this.
  8. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, it will be great if 2017.3 allows that, but I haven't checked yet... This weekend! :)

9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I checked the latest 2017.3 release candidate and this new feature is amazing! Yes, it allows Si3 to live in its own DLL which then makes changes to its own scripts recompile only that DLL. This also makes Si3 available even when opening a project with compile errors... However, I have to adapt Si3 to fully support this new feature - currently it doesn't because its code assumes there are no user defined script assemblies, so it only recognizes scripts belonging to standard script assemblies. I started working on that and hope to get that done before the final release of Unity 2017.3.

radimoto, sngdan and tosiabunio like this.
  10. sngdan

sngdan

@Flipbookee

I am getting this error on SI3.0.20 and 2017.2.0p1 - all works fine though, it's mainly cosmetic.

ArgumentException: This visualElement is not my child
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualContainer.RemoveChild (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement child) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/VisualContainer.cs:212)
    UnityEditor.GUIView.OnDisable () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUIView.cs:201)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnDisable () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:81)
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow:Close()
    FGTooltip:Hide() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTooltip.cs:287)
    ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor:CloseArgumentsHint() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:6349)
    ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor:OnDisable() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:884)
    ScriptInspector.FGCodeWindow:OnDisable() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGCodeWindow.cs:1007)

Flipbookee likes this.
  11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks man! I noticed this one as well, so it will be fixed with the next update.

12. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    well i like the approach... but i'm on Mac and had some issues in the past... short cuts etc...#
    now it looks good... very good!
    just want to say:
    Many thx for making it work great on Mac OS X !!!!
    M.

Flipbookee likes this.
  13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Muckel! :) Please don't forget to rate Si3, or maybe even post a review ;)

14. Gorgor

Gorgor

Hi, how the work on new Assembly Definition Files goes? If I use them and put all my plugins (including SI3) in its own .asmdef, SI3 then does not know many classes (like GameObject for example:)) and it underscores it like an uknown class. Definitely unusable thereafter:)

Flipbookee likes this.
  15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

It works now on my machine™, just need to wrap all the changes and publish them... I'm sorry it took that long, it was a pretty big change.

16. Zbad

Zbad

TEMPORARY FIX FOR USING ASSEMBLY DEFINITION FILES:

Create a script at the root of your Assets folder, which will force assembly-csharp.dll to be in the expected spot.

*Don't* Create an assembly definition in the root Assets folder though. (I dunno if it'll still work.) I used a subfolder to contain all my project-specific code, and made an assembly definition out of that subfolder.

(This worked for me anyway)

Flipbookee likes this.
  17. zephyr7

zephyr7

Hey, I've just given 2018 b4 a try, and it seems to ruin all the dark color themes by brigthening up everything weirdly. Does this happen to anyone else?

siColors.png

Flipbookee likes this.
  18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @zephyr7, thanks for the heads up! I'll investigate this and I'll let you know. It must be something related to the new render pipeline introduced in Unity 2018...

19. Xype

Xype

I just did a try myself, still an issue with 2018.1.0b5 it is only the script inspector editor window all other windows are normal. The really annoying part other than the pinkish is you can't see your mouse cursor. Good times.

Flipbookee likes this.
  20. Xype

Xype

Ahhh lets save ya some time!

In the script .//Project Location/Your Project/Assets\Plugins\Editor\ScriptInspector3\Themes\Darcula.cs

Why this changed in the update makes no sense but hey its fine, I am glad I found it now I can theme unity the way I have always wanted it, their dark theme is lacking!

Flipbookee and zephyr7 like this.
  21. zephyr7

zephyr7

Awesome, thank you! I had tried that last night but accidentally set the alpha to zero as well, doh :) Now my eyes can be happy again.

Flipbookee likes this.
  22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, that's awesome! Thanks @Xype :)

I downloaded the beta and installed it, but I didn't get time to investigate the issue. This is great help and maybe I won't have to find the root of the issue, but I'm suspecting the initial background color of tabs has changed, and if that's the case, this would be a sufficient and great fix. Cheers!

23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Xype, @zephyr7 and anyone else using Unity 2018.1 beta - Seems like the folks at Unity either messed up the last argument of the Texture2D constructor or it was messed up before and they fixed it just now in the beta...

So, this (note the last argument on the highlighted line) used to work correctly up until now:

2018 beta fix.png

But in Unity 2018.1 beta, that last argument has to be changed from true to false! That fixes the issue with the color themes in the beta, but applying the same change in 2017.3 for example breaks them... I should notify them, I guess.

Thank you for your help!!! :cool:

zephyr7 likes this.
  24. Xype

Xype

Not sure why they would swap it like that lol. I figured it has to do with all the new rendering pipeline stuff. Was shocked it hit you and not my graphics assets (yet) It is coming, all my thousands I have spent is going to have to get reworked.

Flipbookee likes this.
  25. Xype

Xype

Ohhh I just remembered my bright Idea from the other day I was gonna mention and forgot. I don't even know if it is possible, or if you are willing,. However I would love to see the hover over and get code fix suggestions with a click it and it applies it. Like you get with VS and Rider. Again don't know if its possible but thats my bright idea.

Flipbookee likes this.
  26. Summersault

Summersault

Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask -- but does Script Editor 3 have Vim support? If not, is this planned for the near future? It looks amazing and I'd love to give it a go, but I'm very attached to Vim editing... :|

Thanks!

Flipbookee likes this.
  27. Xype

Xype

no its mostly a syntax heighlighter with intellisense. Think Notepad ++ with themes and intellisense code completion. Which doesn't seem like much at first but the mega time saver of being inside the Unity editor to do the little small script fixes or just look over some code... I in time terms have saved so much money because of purchasing SI3

Flipbookee likes this.
  28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, yeah @Summersault, as @Xype said, there's no support for Vim editing, mostly because I know too little about Vim and I'd have to learn how to use Vim first in order to add such a feature and test it. A couple of the existing Si3 users have also requested the Vim editing feature to Si3, so I tried to read about Vim and learn the basics at least, but hey, that wasn't easy at all! :p

So the plan now is, once I get some more time for that, I'll try that again. It sounds like an easy task for someone who knows what Vim really is - all that has to be done is to process the keyboard input coming in Vim form and transform it to a sequence of non-Vim editing keystrokes, isn't it? Therefore, here's another option: Si3 comes in full source code form and if there is someone who knows Vim well enough and feels enthusiastic for an adventure, I'll be right here to offer all my help in getting around the Si3 code! :) If not, then it's going to take some time until I learn Vim and get to coding that part for Si3.

29. Xype

Xype

No more languages for me sorry lol. I already have so many in my head they start to jumble up.

30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey my friends, there's some good news for you today! :)

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.21f

got just released on the Asset Store! :cool:
    In fact, it was updated twice, first to version 3.0.21 and later to 3.0.21f, so please update to the latest even if you got the non-f version in the last couple of hours.

New in version 3.0.21f:
    - Si3 is now compiled in its own assembly in Unity 2017.3 and later! :)
    - Fixed scroll view limits

New in version 3.0.21:
    - Added full support for the new Assembly Definitions in Unity 2017.3 - thanks @sngdan and @Zbad
    - Added support for #define symbols in .rsp files - thanks @_Adriaan
    - Added option to use monospaced font in Console - thanks Arisha
    - New shortcut: Shift+Enter inserts a new line below and moves the cursor there - thanks @Zahorodnii
    - New shortcut: Escape key in Find Results and References tabs goes back to the last SI tab
    - Disabled auto-indentation of preprocessor directives
    - Fixed exception on finding references to methods - thanks @Zbad
    - Fixed resolving inherited members from constructed base types - thanks @SweatyChair
    - Fixed accepting autocomplete with Tab key when Insert Spaces on Tab Key option is turned on - thanks @tosiabunio
    - Fixed positioning in Unity 2017+ after toggling floating tabs - thanks loolo78
    - Fixed color themes in Unity 2018.1 Beta - thanks @Xype and @zephyr7
    - Fixed positioning of Find Results, Replace and References tabs
    - Fixed an error on closing Si3 popup windows in recent Unity versions

I'm sure you'll love this update as it was all made with a lot of love from my side, as you'd probably notice ;) and if you feel like returning a similar favor to me, then the best way to do that will be to post a nice and lovely review :)

Don't forget to let me know here as well how this version works for you!

Enjoy! :cool:

Zbad, zephyr7 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

great update, thanks for this great tool, can’t imagine using unity without it

Flipbookee likes this.
  32. Xype

Xype

Every now and then when testing the betas and such I try....I last about 10 minutes before I become compelled like someone with OCD in a hoarders house to go download it. Basically the first time a minor edit is needed that forces me to open Rider.

33. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I'm glad your happy with rider, for me rider is too expensive.

34. bocs

bocs

*removed - NVM

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Flipbookee likes this.
  35. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Its more profitable to add new features compared to not doing so.

As a user I always look at assets history before I buy and when I see continued support It gives me confidence.
    Even for example if an asset has bad ratings, I can overlook them if they are being addresed.

Flipbookee likes this.
  36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@bocs & @Lars-Steenhoff, I don't plan to charge for upgrades any time soon. Profitability is poor, but that's okay because I'd probably still work on Si3 in my free time even if it wasn't on Asset Store. :p

37. ahmidou

ahmidou

Hi there,
    I'm having a problem in a specific project, at some point the floating editor vanished and now ScriptInspector is only available in the Unity inspector..
    I tried to reset the Layout and Reinstalling without any luck.
    I don't know it it's out of the screen or if it's something else, would you have an idea how I can fix it?

Thanks

[Edit] I decided to plug another (third) screen to see if the editor widows wasn't floating around and it was :)
    Maybe an option to bring the window back to zero could prevent this.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Flipbookee likes this.
  38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hmm, interesting... I never faced such issue, but great that the trick worked for you. Yes definitely, I'd have to add an option for fixing the position of floating Si3 windows, just in case this happens again... Thanks for the heads up!

39. syscrusher

syscrusher

Hi, @Flipbookee

As you know, I adore Script Inspector 3, but I'm having a few random errors since upgrading to Unity 2017.3.1f1 recently. Here is an error trace:

Code (csharp):
    2. ArgumentException: This visualElement is not my child
    3. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement+Hierarchy.Remove (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement child) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/VisualElementHierarchy.cs:257)
    4. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement.Remove (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement element) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/VisualElementHierarchy.cs:103)
    5. UnityEditor.GUIView.OnDisable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUIView.cs:209)
    6. UnityEditor.HostView.OnDisable () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:81)
    7. UnityEditor.EditorWindow:Close()
    8. FGTooltip:Hide() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTooltip.cs:289)
    9. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor:OnDisable() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:881)
    10. ScriptInspector.FGCodeWindow:OnDisable() (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGCodeWindow.cs:1017)
    I don't know anything about the "Experimental" namespace. Nothing in my project (which is very small, just an exercise for a class I'm taking) uses any experimental Unity UIs.

As far as I can tell, the errors are harmless, though I did have one time starting Unity in which the editor layout was borked and I had to reload the default layout. I don't know if that was related or not, as I've observed Unity doing that on other occasions.

I'm sorry I can't tell you how to repro this -- I don't notice the errors immediately, so I'm not actually sure what user action triggers them.

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @syscrusher, did that happen in the most recent version 3.0.21? I wrapped that Close() call in a try/catch clause that should have "fixed" that, but if it didn't then you'd have to wait for 2018.1 to get released because the beta release notes claim they have fixed the issue there. I'll check patch releases, maybe they've transferred that fix to earlier versions.

But yeah, it's a harmless error (apart from being annoying), so you can ignore it. I'm just wondering, why that try/catch didn't catch it?

41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I found some easy repro steps and I think I'm on a good track to find a nice workaround :)

syscrusher likes this.
  42. syscrusher

syscrusher

I just checked, and yes, it's version 3.0.21 that I have installed, according to the README file. :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  43. syscrusher

syscrusher

Great support as always. SI3 remains my absolute favorite asset ever. I wish I could shout from the rooftops what an essential tool this is. I can't *stand* an external editor any more -- you've spoiled me!

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. syscrusher

syscrusher

While I'm here: I'd like to offer a couple of feature requests. Not huge priority, but "nice to have" if you had time to do them.
    1. I learned recently that Visual Studio has a shortcut Control-Period that, if pressed while you are on an undefined variable or method name, pastes in a skeletal implementation of that variable or method in the current file. It apparently looks at context for types, and all the methods do is throw a Not Implemented exception.
    2. It would be really handy to be able to set a default namespace for new C# files at the *project* level (not in the global preferences), or alternatively to have a shortcut key that in the current file surrounds any class(es) already there with a namespace context. Even if this shortcut required a popop to ask for the namespace (maybe defaulting to the user's most recent response to that same prompt?) it would save some annoying typing.
    Thanks for listening, and I totally understand if these aren't feasible or are not the direction you'd like to go in your asset design. :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  45. wood333

wood333

I use Script Inspector 3 for writing short scripts and small changes to existing scripts. In a word, it has been great! There is one additional feature I would use, a print button. When I need a hard copy of one of my short scripts, I have to cut and paste it into a word processor.

Is there now a feature to print, and if not, would you consider adding one. It would be one additional small convenience that makes Script Inspector 3 a joy to use.

Flipbookee likes this.
  46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @wood333 for the suggestion! Unfortunately the printing API in .Net is not part of Unity, which makes that difficult. The closest alternative I could find would work on Windows only by starting an external Shell process command to print a file on the default printer. I haven’t tried that yet, but I think I that would print the file as a plain text file, so no syntax highlighting or line numbers. Would that be something useful for you?

47. wood333

wood333

I suppose this is old fashioned, with the use of cloud storage, etc., but I have made hard copy backups for scripts I created with Script Inspector. If there isn't interest in the community, it's not all that difficult for me to cut and paste into a word processor.

48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

It is ;) but anyway, here's a solution that works on Windows only and it requires Notepad++ to be installed (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/).

First, create a new C# script inside the Plugins/Editor folder and name it PrintTextAsset. Then replace its default content with this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEditor;
    4. using System.Diagnostics;
    6. public static class PrintTextAsset
    7. {
    8.     [MenuItem("Assets/Print", true, 19)]
    9.     private static bool ValidatePrint()
    10.     {
    11.         return
    12.             Selection.activeObject &&
    13.             Selection.activeObject is TextAsset &&
    14.             Selection.objects.Length == 1;
    15.     }
    17.     [MenuItem("Assets/Print", false, 19)]
    18.     private static void Print(MenuCommand command)
    19.     {
    20.         var asset = Selection.activeObject as TextAsset;
    21.         if (asset == null)
    22.             return;
    24.         var path = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(asset);
    25.         if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(path))
    26.             return;
    28.         path = System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(path);
    29.         Process.Start("CMD.exe", "/C start notepad++ -quickPrint \"" + path + "\"");
    30.     }
    31. }
    and save it. Wait for Unity to compile that and reload the assemblies and now you can right-click scripts and any other text assets in the Project view and print them by selecting the new Print command in the context menu. :) (prints to Windows' default printer and it doesn't work with Print to PDF virtual printer, so you can only try it on real paper).

Now open FGCodeWindow.cs (press Alt+Shift+O and type part of that name to find it quickly) and go to line 1647 - it should be this line:
    upload_2018-3-30_3-38-26.png

Now copy this 3 lines:
    Code (csharp):
    2.             menu.AddItem(new GUIContent("Print " + fileName + " with Notepad++"), false, () => {
    3.                 EditorApplication.ExecuteMenuItem("Assets/Print");
    4.             });
    and paste them there (just above the line with "Show in Explorer") and save the file. Wait for the compile and reload, and now you can also print files from the context menu on Si3 tabs, like this:
    upload_2018-3-30_3-44-13.png

Enjoy! :cool:

syscrusher likes this.
  49. wood333

wood333

Wow! Thanks!! :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  50. SketchWork

SketchWork

Hi @Flipbookee - thanks for an awesome product. Just wondering where you are at with the Refactor Renaming (instead of a blind find in files rename) and the Folding regions?

Cheers buddy,

Justin

Flipbookee and syscrusher like this.