Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Utilities Script Inspector 3

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Flipbookee, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Baste

Baste

The dll solution won't be necessary from 2017.2 and forward. From that point, you can put Si3 in it's own assembly through an Assembly definition file, and it'll still get loaded even if there's user code that doesn't compile. See here.

Flipbookee, shamsfk and JoeStrout like this.
  2. Novack

Novack

A menu option for compiling Si3 into a DLL would be just pure magic :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  3. williamian

williamian

Just wanted to know. is Script Inspector 3 2017.2 Beta compliant or will be when stable and if not, timeline for when it will. TY.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Flipbookee likes this.
  4. Kybernesis

Kybernesis

I suddenly started getting this error whenever double clicking within the SI console

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ScriptInspector.FGCodeWindow.OnOpenAsset (Int32 instanceID, Int32 line) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGCodeWindow.cs:450)

Any idea why this happens? Tried removing and re-adding the asset too, but no luck :\

This is on Unity version 2017.1.0p4

Flipbookee likes this.
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @Kybernesis! I'll check...

6. williamian

williamian

Umm. Thanks for the like. Really does not answer the question though.

Flipbookee likes this.
  7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I'll check how it works now with the beta, but even if it does I can't promise it will work with the final. It should work and if it doesn't I can adapt it to make it work. Full source code is available, so anyone can fix issues if there's anything ;)

8. Baste

Baste

The biggest problem with 2017 is the .NET 4.6 preview, since it allows C# 6 code. Si3 doesn't handle that yet.

9. williamian

williamian

Thank you.

10. wangbenchong

wangbenchong

How to support Chinese better? The size of "W" and "万" are not same.

Flipbookee likes this.
  11. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey @Flipbookee,

Remember this issue? I found the bug! Before word wrapping I used to click the ENTER button for new line then indent my comment so I can read it fully without having to scroll. See pic below. This somehow messes with the word wrapping. As soon as I fix the line with my indentations and no line change, the word wrapping issue disappears. It also doesn't affect the whole script, only some lines below my indentation.
    After so many months with this issue, I finally nailed the cause.

Also still looking forward to my copy and pasting indentation fixes. Sorry about my indentation troubles.

Thanks,
    jrDev
    WordwrapCommentBug.png

Flipbookee likes this.
  12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I know @wangbenchong. Si3 was initially made to work with monospaced fonts only and I started working on getting support for asian characters which are wider even in monospaced fonts, but I haven't finished that yet.

Hey @jrDev, thanks a lot man! I hope this will help me fix that bug now...

crafTDev likes this.
  13. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

I have bought SI3 last year, and to this day its just unusable....I was hoping it would change, just nothing

- no rename refactor (dont understand why, you can already search for references)
    - no debugging (I just cannot keep opening visual studio every 10 minutes)
    - no class search (you type "Hi", and SI3 will list out classes containing this word. e.g. "Hierarchy", "HintManager", "HillLoader")

May I know what is the progress on these issues?

Flipbookee likes this.
  14. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The one feature I'd like to have is "Close SI Tabs to the Right". I often find myself with a dozen or more SI tabs open in my editor, and then want to narrow that down to just the 2 or 3 relevant to my next task. I can easily drag those tabs to get them all together on the left side of the window, so if I just had this Close Tabs to the Right feature (as in Firefox), I could quickly close all the other junk. As it is, I have to either close the junk one by one, or close the whole window and reopen the couple of files I need.

But I wouldn't say the lack of this feature makes Si3 unusable. :)

petey likes this.
  15. Kybernesis

Kybernesis

Hey @Flipbookee, did you find the cause and a solution to that error I posted?

Flipbookee likes this.
  16. Wekthor

Wekthor

Hi, just bought the plugin, but couldnt figure out if there is some Document Outline available ? Something which would show all functions, variables etc in the file, just like in MonoDevelop, so you can quickly navigate to specific function. Its very handy when having big files with thousands of lines.

EDIT:
    So few things i couldnt figure or get to work and could realy use them:

1) Document Outline ( list of all functions and variable for quick navigation in the file )
    2) Code collapsing. It seems that regions, functions etc cant be collapsed ?
    3) Quickly close script with close button via the Tab bar ( currently it reqires to right click on the tab ) Useful for closing a lot of files at one time, which are not currently focused.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Flipbookee likes this.
  17. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes there is. It's at the top of the window, between the code and the tabs.

upload_2017-10-5_7-4-52.png

@Flipbookee has mentioned that he's working on this. Personally it's a feature I don't never feel the urge for — if your code needs collapsing, you should consider refactoring it so it doesn't. ;) But I recognize that sometimes there is no good way to do that, and it might occasionally be useful.

Yeah, but these are standard Unity tabs, like all the others in the IDE. I don't know if it's even possible for a plug-in to change their appearance/behavior, and if it is, I don't know that he should.

However, if he added "Close SI Tabs to the Right", then you could still close a lot of files at one time. :)

Flipbookee and Kybernesis like this.
  18. Wekthor

Wekthor

Thanks a lot for the answers.

-Good thing to know about the Document Outline.

-For Code collapsing, current project i am working has tens of thousands of lines of code, so you eventually end up with script, which has over 1000 lines and thats where code collapsing comes extremely handy to navigate quickly around the script. But its not feature which is a must.

-For closing the tabs its not such a bid deal, but it would come in handy to replicate same functionality of other IDE's like for example MonoDevelop. Its just good to have.

Flipbookee likes this.
  19. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hey man,

Seems that SI3 haven't fully support using alias yet ...

Code (CSharp):
    1. using CBParams = System.Collections.Generic.List<System.Collections.Generic.List<string>>;
    3. // SI3 did not understand CBParams then

Flipbookee likes this.
  20. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Bad news for today

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. ScriptInspector.ConstructedTypeDefinition.get_genericTypeDefinition () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:3016)
    3. ScriptInspector.ConstructedTypeDefinition.GetGenericSymbol () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:3076)
    4. ScriptInspector.SymbolDefinition.IsValid () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTypeSystem.cs:7326)
    5. ScriptInspector.ParseTree+BaseNode.get_resolvedSymbol () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGGrammar.cs:158)
    6. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.GetTokenStyle (ScriptInspector.SyntaxToken token) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:4069)
    7. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.DoGUI (Boolean enableGUI) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:3619)
    8. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.DoGUIWithAutocomplete (Boolean enableGUI) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:1849)
    9. ScriptInspector.FGTextEditor.OnWindowGUI (UnityEditor.EditorWindow window, UnityEngine.RectOffset margins) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextEditor.cs:1702)
    10. ScriptInspector.FGCodeWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGCodeWindow.cs:1331)
    11. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Flipbookee likes this.
  21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hmm, I see. This needs to be fixed, thanks man!

And this one is already fixed, I think, but I'll check again and I'll release the fix at first next opportunity!

22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @Wrymnn, I'm sorry man! I didn't think anyone would say Si3 is "unusable", but if you say so, I trust you mean that.

Rename refactoring and all the other features which were in development or planned for future were put on hold. I suddenly ran out of free time, which was how development was moving forward. I'm putting efforts to change my daily schedule and reserve at least a little bit of time for Si3, which should be enough for fixing reported bugs and keeping Si3 compatible with new Unity versions. If I'm lucky to find a little bit more time, I could also finish the rename refactoring and code folding. But that won't be enough for debugging - that's a lot of work and would require a lot of free time which I don't have at the moment.

What do you mean by "no class search" and typing "Hi"? I don't understand what's the issue :confused:

petey likes this.
  23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

And everyone has right to own opinion, and I have right to disagree with that ;) because your comment reminded me what is really unusable for me - VS without Visual Assist X! I'm trying to use VS for writing C++ code without VAX, and that just doesn't work for me. It isn't possible to even do "simple" things like writing code... So frustrating, I'll have to buy VAX license tomorrow, or otherwise I'll never finish that project.

petey likes this.
  24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@JoeStrout, thanks man! :) I'll add the "Close SI Tabs to the Right" feature :cool:

And thank you for helping out @CrywolfDigital! :)

@CrywolfDigital, Si3 tabs are just standard Unity tabs. I can't change much there. Well, I can hack it TBH, but as @JoeStrout said, probably I should not do that. Unity can change the appearance and behaviour of their tabs at any time, and that change will affect Si3 tabs as well. For example, they added middle mouse button click to close a tab, and that of course works with Si3 tabs too.

JoeStrout likes this.
  25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Whoops, no - I forgot about that :oops: I'll check and I'll let you know...

26. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

Hi and thanks for the reply.

By class search I mean

which I just wouldnt be able to work without and navigate my codes. I cannot understand how other people can work without it, and search classes via ctrl+F in SI3 :)

Same goes for refactoring, which means people have to have visual studio or monodevelop always open when they need to rename class or methods....

I do not blame you, since real life comes first :D Could we PM about refund, is it possible? Since when i did buy si3 there were already talks about debugging, class search etc. but year later those features are still missing and I did buy something I just cannot use.

Flipbookee likes this.
  27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, I see what you mean. Yes, this is absolutely useful and I have that feature almost done. Until than you can open any script in Si3 in a similar way by typing part of the script name instead of the class name, which is useful for MonoBehaviour classes since those script names must match the class name in Unity, but less useful for other classes that can be named differently than their script files.

Rename refactoring is still not ready for release, unfortunately... If it can help a little bit, the Replace All function (with options to match whole words and case sensitively) works perfectly and allows you to choose which occurrences to replace or to skip. If the symbol you want to rename is a very unique name then likely just replacing all occurrences will be enough. Find All References also works and this may be a better alternative than Replace All if there are only a few occurrences, just change the name by typing in those few places... I know, these alternatives are not same as Rename, but they are available now and Rename is not. So yeah, for more complicated renames, use VS or MD.

Yeah, I know. If Si3 was profitable I could switch to work full time on it, but it isn't and it's unfortunately very far from that. But it's my pet project and I love it! And I had great fun making it, and I hope I'll have more fun with its remaining features...

I'll PM you in a moment. Thanks for your feedback and all the honesty.

28. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That's a crying shame. :( Si3 is what Unity ought to have done. Sure, keep VS or MonoDevelop (or any other external editor) as an option, but a solid, lightning-fast, Unity-savvy built-in editor just makes using Unity so much better, I can't stand to be without it anymore.

So I was hoping that Si3 was making you so much money you were thinking of quitting your day job (and possibly buying a small island, as long as it has a fast internet connection). You deserve it!

29. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @Kybernesis, can you please send me the full call stack of that error? Just select the error in Console and press the Copy keyboard shortcut, then paste it here. I'm curious to find out what's going on.

Once you have copied the error, please fix it in FGCodeWindow.cs by replacing line 450 which should look like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         var allowInvert = Event.current.keyCode != KeyCode.DownArrow;
    with this line of code:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         var allowInvert = Event.current != null && Event.current.keyCode != KeyCode.DownArrow;
    Save, let Unity compile that, then check is it fixed and let me know. I could not reproduce the error, so I'll rely on your answer for this fix... Thanks!

manpower13 likes this.
  30. Kybernesis

Kybernesis

Sure thing, here it is:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. ScriptInspector.FGConsole.OpenLogEntry (UnityEditor.EditorWindow console) (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGConsole.cs:260)
    3. ScriptInspector.FGConsole.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGConsole.cs:226)
    4. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    5. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    7. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    8. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:285)
    9. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:278)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:245)
    Hmm weird, this actually blames something else than the one I originally posted... I didn't do anything different either.

Tried this fix, but it still happens. Although as I pointed out above, the NullRef message has changed since last time.

Flipbookee likes this.
  31. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That must be because now you're trying that in Unity 2017.x, for which another fix is required in Si3. Please open FGConsole.cs and change line 79 from:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         logEntriesType = typeof(EditorWindow).Assembly.GetType("UnityEditorInternal.LogEntries");
    to:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         logEntriesType = typeof(EditorWindow).Assembly.GetType("UnityEditor.LogEntries");
    and then also line 86 from:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         logEntryType = typeof(EditorWindow).Assembly.GetType("UnityEditorInternal.LogEntry");
    to:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         logEntryType = typeof(EditorWindow).Assembly.GetType("UnityEditor.LogEntry");
    Sorry about that, I have to add this fix to the version on Asset Store.

32. Kybernesis

Kybernesis

And fixed! Thank you! And yeah, do add the fix to the official version on Asset Store too :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  33. Jaimi

Jaimi

Did I read right a few messages ago - Is code folding coming in the next update? Very handy to hide parts of the code you aren't working on at the moment.

Flipbookee likes this.
  34. bradbecker

bradbecker

The SI Console opens automatically all the time when the regular console (or Edit Console Pro) windows are already open. Is there a setting to turn that off?

35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, the regular Console window is not very useful. That's why Si3 includes its own console window as a much nicer replacement. If the regular console is open, Si3 opens its own console right next to it for your convenience. If you don't want the SI Console to open, then just close it and also close the regular Console, so SI Console will not open automatically. Note that there's no point to use the regular Console instead of the SI Console! SI Console offers everything that the regular Console can do, and on top that it adds context menus on right-click on log entries for easy call-stack navigation, so there's no point to use the regular Console anymore. However, the regular Console must be open for the SI Console to function.

Now if you use another console which is maybe better than SI Console, then you most likely don't need the regular Console, so just close it and also close the SI Console, and it won't pop up automatically anymore.

I hope that answers your question and covers all your needs, but if that's not enough you can also change Si3 code to not show its own console automatically. I really cannot think of any reason why would you do this, but I'm posting this option just in case if I've missed anything... So, open FGCodeWindow.cs and find this method at line 264:
    Code (csharp):
    1.     private static void InitOnLoad()
    2.     {
    3.         EditorApplication.update -= InitOnLoad;
    4.         EditorApplication.projectWindowItemOnGUI -= OnProjectItemGUI;
    5.         EditorApplication.projectWindowItemOnGUI += OnProjectItemGUI;
    7.         if (!prefsLoaded)
    8.             LoadPrefs();
    10.         FGConsole.OpenIfConsoleIsOpen();
    11.     }
    Then comment out the last line in it, or just delete it (that's the line with FGConsole.OpenIfConsoleIsOpen()), and then save the script, wait for Unity to compile that change, and that's it.

36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, not in the next update, but maybe in the one after that. I've reserved the next update for some bug fixes and addressing compatibility with latest versions of Unity. (btw, I cannot agree that hiding code may be anyhow useful ;) as you can always scroll that part out of the view, but yeah, if that's what you really want to do...)

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, I understand it's not for everyone. But when you have a giant source file, and you're working on a set of functions that are separated by a lot of code, it's handy to just move everything else out of the way. :)

led_bet and Flipbookee like this.
  38. petey

petey

Yes! This is where I'm at at the moment, and I find it gets really tiring scrolling back and forth through huge amounts of code. Being able to clear 90% out of the way is super handy I reckon.

I found that the way VS code folds stuff was is a bit annoying though, it basically collapses your entire script including for and while loops. So you end up spending a lot of time unpacking folded things and I found that became too much of a chore.
    It would be nice if there was a way to collapse just all methods or something like that.

How were you thinking of approaching that sort of thing, and out of interest, how do other people feel about experiences with that?
    No pressure though, just throwing ideas about.

Pete.

Flipbookee likes this.
  39. bradbecker

bradbecker

Thanks! I’ll just make sure to keep the regular console closed when using Console Pro

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. nomax5

nomax5

I just had to do this Fix... which seems to have fixed the opening
    I thought I'd mention it because I almost dismissed it thinking it would be on the asset store version by now

Flipbookee likes this.
  41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @nomax5! The fix is on Asset Store now :)

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.19

is available on Asset Store now :cool:
    This is what's new in version 3.0.19:
    - Massive improvements in resolving generics, extension methods, method overloads, and implicitly typed lambda parameters!
    - Added Ctrl+Period as an alternative shortcut for Code Fixes on OS X
    - Toggle Floating Tabs command now first sets the focus on those tabs, then hides them, and then shows them - thanks @mStep
    - Tweaked reference highlighting colors in Darcula theme - thanks @roberto_sc
    - Fixed building list of referenced assemblies - thanks @Slaye & @sngdan
    - Fixed evaluation of some #elif and #else preprocessor blocks - thanks @_Adriaan
    - Fixed using-alias types of generic types - thanks @thienhaflash
    - Fixed resolving nested method invocation expressions
    - Fixed NRE on opening scripts from some other plugins
    - Unity 4.0.0 backward compatibility

Unfortunately the option to insert spaces instead of tabs didn't make it in this release. I'll integrate that as well and release it as another update in a few days, so please wait for that if you have received a custom build with that feature and you depend on it.

This release mostly fixes and improves semantic analysis of C# files, which is IMO more important for an IDE than anything else, so updating your copy is highly recommended! :)

Please update, post a nice review or at least give it a star rating and let me know how it works for you. I've tested it and it works great for me, but obviously I wasn't able to test everything in it, so your help will be highly appreciated :) (especially the part about reviews and star ratings, don't forget that ;)).

Enjoy! :cool:

42. sxa

sxa

Im running 2017.2, just updated to SI3.0.19 (as confirmed by the 'About' menu option) and Im still getting the FGConsole errors, even in a brand-new project (ie not an update of the SI Asset).
    Lines 79 and 86 of FGConsole still look like the pre-2017 version:

Code (CSharp):
    2.         logEntriesType = typeof(EditorWindow).Assembly.GetType("UnityEditorInternal.LogEntries");
    5.         logEntryType = typeof(EditorWindow).Assembly.GetType("UnityEditorInternal.LogEntry");
    I can #if them out again and make the edits, but am I missing something obvious?

Flipbookee likes this.
  43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, let me check that... Did I not integrate that fix over? :confused:

44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well yeah, it turned out that fix wasn't included, so I had to update the Asset Store package again... Thanks for notifying me, you're awesome! :)

Please update once again to version 3.0.19f ;)

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.19f

New in version 3.0.19f:
    - Unity 2017.x compatibility - thanks @Andrew_Howe & @sxa

In fact, @Andrew_Howe deserves much more credits than only this - the issues he reported have helped me a lot with "Massive improvements in resolving generics, extension methods, method overloads, and implicitly typed lambda parameters!" and lead to fixing another unlisted performance issue that has been hiding deep in code since the time of Si3 beta! :cool:

I can't wait to hear from all Si3 users how is the latest version working for you now :)

45. tonic

tonic

Still waiting on this one - I'd almost say that this is more or less a "showstopper" to use SI3 on actual projects, with the whole existing codebase using spaces (and SI3 not being the only editor, etc).

Flipbookee likes this.
  46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Right, I'm on that right now and it should be ready by tomorrow. :)

47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

By the way, Script Inspector 3 and my other asset, Favorites Tabs, will be on discount as part of Asset Store's Cyber Monday Mega Sale starting from Monday! :cool:

48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Good news - Spaces vs. Tabs option got just released with a few other fixes :)

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.20

This is what's new in it:
    - Added option to use Space instead of Tab characters for code indentation
    - Fixed auto-indenting comments on Paste - thanks @jrDev
    - Fixed position of SI Console Auto-focus button in Unity 2017.x
    - Fixed deprecated field compile warning in Unity 2017.2

Enjoy! :D

tosiabunio likes this.
  49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks to the awesome @jonas-auh I realized there was an accidental compile error in this version with Unity 2017.2, so I fixed that and reuploaded the package. Please update your copies again, now to version 3.0.20f ;)

50. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

I'm a new Si3 user and I like it quite much. The only annoyance at the moment is my habit from VS to accept intellisense suggestion via pressing TAB. This works fine but adds tab at the end of completed text (or space is I use SPACE for the same action). I seems that ENTER is a proper way of confirming my choice but it's difficult to unlearn this habit. Could we suppress the tab character when the text is entered via code completion?

Flipbookee likes this.