Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Utilities Script Inspector 3

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Flipbookee, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Awesome! Thanks :)
    I can't wait to hear your impressions with it :cool:

2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @thienhaflash, I just found the reason for this issue with highlighting. It will be fixed with the next update :)

thienhaflash likes this.
  3. petey

petey

Hey @Flipbookee... Just wonderin'... Have you managed to make any progress on folding?
    I just keep looking at this monster of a script I'm working on and thinking how much nicer it would be to fold 90% of it away.
    Anyway no stress, just interested!
    Pete.

Flipbookee likes this.
  4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

No Pete, I've spent last week trying to fix the well known issue in Si3 which makes namespaces like UnityEngine.UI and similar to not be recognized by Si3 the first time we use it in a project, up until at least one symbol from that namespace is used in code and compiled. That was really annoying issue and I just implemented an elegant fix for that :) so I'm getting back to finishing code folding right now...

ethanwgross likes this.
  5. petey

petey

Ahh nice one! Elegant fixes are the best :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  6. ahmidou

ahmidou

Hi, I'm getting this one in 5.6 beta11,is there a way I can quickFix it?

Thanks

7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@ahmidou, that error was Unity 5.4 and it's 10 months old. Newer versions of Si3 include a fix for that, so I'd guess updating Si3 to the latest version should fix that. What version do you use?

Anyway, I'll check what happens with the latest version of Si3 in Unity 5.6 beta and I'll let you know...

8. ahmidou

ahmidou

@Flipbookee I was indeed using an older version, I've updated it and now it's fine.
    Thanks, and sorry for the noise.

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. syscrusher

syscrusher

I began testing Unity 5.6 on a copy of my main project yesterday. So excited that my favorite asset, SI3, seems to work just fine in the new version. :)

docsavage and Flipbookee like this.
  10. docsavage

docsavage

Good to hear this as Si3 is one of the always used assets now as well:)

Let's hope unity2017 gets on well with Si3 and all our other favourite assets as well:)

Edit - Am excited to see unity2017 though as it sounds like they making it all new.

Flipbookee likes this.
  11. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Flipbookee,

I have been having this word-wrap bug for a while now, it's not selecting the correct line. I don't know how to reproduce, sometimes it only happens it specific areas of the script, any script randomly. You can see where the cursor is but the typing and selection happens above the cursor. Any ideas?

Also, I think the find and replace needs an addition. It works right now but not properly, it is very cumbersome to go into another tab for me. I would like if when you put something in the search bar in the script, there is a replace section next to it if I want to tap through each item and replace it or replace all locally. You already have searching working in script, it shouldn't be trivial to add a replace bar and replace button can it?

Thanks,
    jrDev

12. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I've never seen that weird bug. But:

I'll second that request. Being able to replace & find next right within the script tab would often be very convenient.

syscrusher likes this.
  13. syscrusher

syscrusher

+1 from me, also. I rarely use find/replace in SI3, because I can never remember exactly where it is in the UI. The find result list in a summary pane is useful, but it would also be nice to have something more like the traditional find/replace in standalone text editors.

Flipbookee likes this.
  14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I see... I'll add this to my todo list...

crafTDev likes this.
  15. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

Hi, are you still working on the SI? There hasn`t been new version for more than 5 months (at least from forum release posts, 15th Dec is last)

Flipbookee likes this.
  16. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I've been preparing version 3.0.18 for quite some time and just yesterday I asked in the main Si3 thread if anyone is interested to help me test the new version before it gets released. I should have asked here as well, as this thread is more about work in progress stuff, so yeah, guys, please let me know if you are willing to try the new version but only if you are working with it these days because I'll need quick feedback. The pre-release package should be available later today, so be quick ;)

Crowd testing of new releases was usually not really needed because the changes were relatively small, but this time they've been accumulating for a bit too long, so I thought it will be nice to let these changes go through more people than only me...

The new version brings a lot of speed and memory consumption improvements. According to my tests the parsing and code analysis speed in some extreme cases has improved by up to 30 times!!! As we are talking here about milliseconds, the improvement may not be much noticeable while working with small scripts, but it will be more noticeable in large and medium sized scripts. Also, if memory consumption matters for you, the new version will make you very happy :cool:

Besides that, Si3 version 3.0.18 can automatically add using statements for unresolved types. It also now understands the namespaces defined in additional assemblies, such as UnityEngine.UI even in a brand new project that hasn't been compiled yet. The new version introduces a smarter autocomplete window, which has additionally been improved on OS X so that it shows up immediately rather than with a small delay of 1 second. Also, the autocomplete window shows up even if you start typing in the middle of a word.

There are more improvements besides those listed above, so I believe you'll be very happy with it! Unfortunately, I had to postpone code folding for the next release. Optimizations were too big in this release and I've spent the last month working only on that! Trying to get code folding into this release would further delay the release, so I had to decide to leave that for the next release... I hope you'll understand! ;)

syscrusher, docsavage and John-G like this.
  17. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Sounds great! And as somebody who hates code-folding, I think you made the right choice there. :)

I'll be happy to beta-test this for you; I use Si3 (on OS X) pretty much all day every day, and some of my projects have some pretty big scripts.

Flipbookee likes this.
  18. gyltefors

gyltefors

After installing Script Inspector 3, Shift-Space to maximize Unity views does not work anymore. Being able to maximize views is critical. Why is this disabled, and why does SI3 use Alt-Enter instead (which only works in the SI3 view)?

19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@gyltefors, that's not true. Si3 cannot and it does not alter the Maximize shortcuts of other tabs in Unity. Shift+Space is still the shortcut for toggling maximize of other tabs, except when a text field has keyboard focus. That's like that in Unity with or without Si3.

The choice to choose a shortcut like Shift+Space for Maximize was not the brightest idea, as you can imagine, because when people type fast and press a Space followed by a word starting with a capital letter they sometimes unintentionally press Shift+Space. That's why you'll never find a shortcut like that in any other desktop application - Shift+Space is not a shortcut because it's used while typing text, same as the Space key is not a shortcut (Space used to be the Maximize shortcut in older versions of Unity) because it's used while typing text. Unity "solves" this unfortunate choice of shortcut by disabling it whenever a text field has the focus, so the shortcut sometimes works and sometimes doesn't...

All that has nothing to do with Si3. But since Si3 windows are just large text fields (well, a much more superior version of them ;)) and the keyboard focus is all the time on them, the Shift+Space shortcut has to be disabled all the time. That's not good, of course, so Si3 uses an alternative keyboard shortcut for Maximize, which is Alt+Enter. If you are a gamer you should know that shortcut as the one for switching Windows games between windowed and fullscreen mode, so I thought I'll just borrow that shortcut for toggling maximized state of Si3 tabs.

Does that make sense? :)

JoeStrout likes this.
  20. gyltefors

gyltefors

I am not a Windows user, so I was not aware of the Alt+Enter shortcut. It might be that SI3 behaves differently on Windows and Mac. I have never been able to maximize any view in a project where SI3 is installed, while I could always maximize views when it is not installed. Maybe it steals keyboard focus or something.

Flipbookee likes this.
  21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, I see! I just checked on OS X and yes, you are right :eek: Shift-Space doesn't work always. It usually starts working once I close all SI tabs and then it stops when I open one. That's very strange since my code doesn't do anything related to that and also it works fine on Windows. But there must be something, just I don't know what, that breaks the Shift-Space shortcut. I started disabling potentially related functionality in Si3 to find out what may be related - no luck so far, but I'll continue investigating... Thanks for finding this issue! I hope I'll find a solution quickly...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  22. petey

petey

This update sounds great! I think Si3 works great as is but speed increases are always welcome, autocomplete in the middle of a work is going to RoCk too! (as well as all the other things).
    Just wondering, are you still planning to add folding at some point? I just have a few monster scripts that I have to deal with and my eyeballs/brain would be really appreciative...
    (not sure why Joe hates it, he must have had a bad fold)

Thanks
    P

Flipbookee likes this.
  23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @petey, yes, I was working on it for this release actually in hope the changes will not be too big. But it turned out it was more complex than I thought, so I decided it's safer to leave for the next release. All changes are shelved in my Perforce waiting for me to continue after releasing 3.0.18 :)

Yeah, I'm also not a fan of code folding :p I can't imagine why would I ever want to hide the code by folding it when I can always leave it unfolded and not see it by simply scrolling to the place I want to work with. If later I want to see it, then I save a mouse click or keypress to unfold it on top of an already saved mouse click or keypress to fold it. :) I never used code folding and I think it only makes sense to be used when reading XML or JSON files (or maybe in an IDE that lacks code navigation features and cursor history, or an IDE that can show only one code view at time)... But I understood your reasoning, and for some other people as well, for liking code folding, and that's why I started working on that ;)

24. petey

petey

Hey awesome news :D
    Yeah I really like code folding for when I have to deal with a huge script and I know I'm only going to be working on a few methods within that for the session. So I'd just fold all then pop them open.
    I have been using the breadcrumb thingy you have up the top recently though and that's great!

Flipbookee likes this.
  25. ArnoldRauers_Tinytouchtales

ArnoldRauers_Tinytouchtales

Hi, just purchased your asset. Looks and works great so far.
    One issue: When i open a file from the unity editor (double click) it opens a new code window instead of adding it to my already existing window as a new tab. If i open the same file again it works as expected. I'm on 5.5.3 and OSX. Thanks!

Flipbookee likes this.
  26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks! :cool:

I'm not sure I understand that exactly... With Si3 each file opens in its own Unity Editor tab. You can move, resize, maximize, and dock on top of each other, or dock side by side all those tabs, just like with any other Unity tab. This is much more flexible than if they'd all open in a single Unity tab with sub-tabs for each file. If you are used to work with MonoDevelop for example, this may sound unnatural in the beginning, but trust me, you can do so much more with this way of dealing with tabs than in MonoDevelop!

On top of the standard tabs operations in Unity, Si3 add many more keyboard shortcuts for working with its own tabs. Check all the shortcuts here:
    https://www.cheatography.com/flipbookee/cheat-sheets/script-inspector-3-os-x/

... or here for Windows:
    https://www.cheatography.com/sarper/cheat-sheets/script-inspector-3-windows/

You can switch to any of the open Si3 tabs, or switch to the one on the left or right of the current one when there is more than one tab docked in a group of tabs, or you can even open the same file in multiple tabs and dock them side by side and see at the same time two different part of it!

Is that answering the question?

27. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

upload_2017-4-28_6-51-12.png

Holy moly! I never noticed this feature before.

I often have methods that do some setup (or reset) procedure, that makes sense in the editor as well as at runtime. I usually make these a public instance method on some object in the scene, add a ContextMenu attribute, and invoke them via that. But that doesn't work when I have a static class.

Now apparently I can just put my cursor on any static method and just hit Cmd-E? That's pretty awesome. I am definitely going to have use for that!

syscrusher and Flipbookee like this.
  28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, you can! :)

The feature was fully implemented by @UnLogick :cool:

JoeStrout likes this.
  29. ArnoldRauers_Tinytouchtales

ArnoldRauers_Tinytouchtales

Yes, seems my expected behavior is not support, i will see if i can get use to this, thanks.

30. UnLogick

UnLogick

Still waiting for you to take it to the next level and run non-static MonoBehaviour methods on selected game objects. :p

Flipbookee and JoeStrout like this.
  31. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yay! @gyltefors, I've found the reason and I just fixed that :)

The fix will be released in this update - 3.0.18 will hit the Asset Store tomorrow :cool:

Thanks a lot for reporting the issue!

John-G and JoeStrout like this.
  32. petey

petey

Oh cool! Just updated :) Wow looks like it became a huge update by the release notes, thanks!
    The scrolling seems way smoother, my eyeballs are thankful :) And autocomplete midway through is so nice!

One thing I noticed though, scrolling seems to move a fair bit slower for me, I have a program to boost up the speed so I managed to make it better but it is a little disproportionate to the other scrollable items in Unity. Not a big issue though, I just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks again!
    P.

Flipbookee likes this.
  33. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Breaking news!!! :eek:

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.18 was just released on Asset Store

With this release, Script Inspector 3 has become the fastest IDE on Earth for programming in Unity :cool:, taking that title from its predecessor, Si3 version 3.0.17, and exceeding its performance by up to 30 times!!! :eek::D

New in version 3.0.18:
    - Critical fix for "Multiple Managers" error - thanks @ramroom4444
    - Massive optimizations - thanks @sngdan
    - Smarter suggestions in autocomplete list - thanks @JoeStrout
    - Added support for Spotlight Inspector - thanks @PedroGV
    - Color themes extracted to their own folder - thanks @Novack :)
    - Added code infrastructure for code refactoring
    - Code refactoring: Resolve type by adding using statement and namespace qualifier - thanks @Novack & @_Adriaan
    - Added folding button and count indicator to Si3's UnityEvent property drawer - thanks @JoeStrout
    - Autocomplete list shows up immediately now on OS X as well
    - Autocomplete list shows up now also when typing in middle of a word (or at its end)
    - Arguments tooltips now list all overload of a method, including overloads declared in base classes
    - Si3 now doesn't ask to save or keep changes in memory on hiding floating tabs
    - Si3 now respects implicit conversion operators
    - Improved smooth scrolling, ping animation, cursor blinking and everything else that used to rely on Time.realTimeSinceStartup and its lack of numeric precision
    - Improved incremental semantic code analysis
    - Improved resolving of symbols defined in partial types
    - Improved type inference of implicitly types lambda parameters
    - Improved resolving of method overloads
    - Improved Find All References
    - Improved script loading time
    - Prevented unintentional font size change on pressing Ctrl after using mouse-wheel with inertia
    - Allowed smooth scrolling on mouse-wheel
    - Better positioning of context menus on code
    - Fixed Si3 UnityEventsDrawer for private fields defined in a base class - thanks @thienhaflash
    - Fixed Shift+Space not working in other Unity tabs - thanks @gyltefors
    - Fixed opening scripts with Cmd-Down arrow on OS X - thanks @roberto_sc
    - Fixed scroll area getting stuck at the bottom on retina displays - thanks @sngdan
    - Fixed "Cut Line" command for empty lines on Windows - thanks @Victor_Kallai
    - Fixed compile error in Unity 4.3 - thanks @thienhaflash
    - Fixed displaying of conversion operators in the code navigation toolbar
    - Fixed refreshing Si3 tabs after compile
    - Fixed position of the code view inside the Inspector tab
    - Fixed C# grammar for event declarations and explicit implementations of generic interfaces
    - Fixed some missing Si3 tabs on Ctrl+Tab
    - Fixed Go to Definition for some generic symbols
    - Fixed resolving of attributes after adding their using statement
    - Fixed filtering of code completions to attributes
    - Fixed smart semicolon placement
    - Fixed completions for extensions methods declared in a parent namespace
    - Fixed combining of type modifiers on partial types
    - Fixed resolving cast expressions
    - Fixed base type of enum types
    - Reverted previously added filtering of code completions to types only

Thanks to all those who helped me and who were involved in beta-testing this release! You were all amazing :cool:

Apart of some nice new features, this update contains at least one critical fix that you folks need as soon as possible! Please update your copies and don't forget to cast your star rating and maybe post a nice little review ;) - that would make my day, if not the whole week :cool:

I can't wait to hear your feedback and impressions!

Enjoy! :)

PedroGV, syscrusher, crafTDev and 4 others like this.
  34. gg_michael

gg_michael

Issue: When I use CMD-SHIFT-T on the Mac to switch between floating tabs, SI3 seems to automatically combine the two scripts I had docked side by side into one half-screen section. So my setup is Unity + a large (basically fullscreen) group of SI3 tabs on a separate floating window. But I have two SI3 views docked on the floating window next to each other.

When I use the keyboard shortcut to switch to the floating SI3 window it will get rid of the side-by-side setup and place all the SI3 tabs within one view.

Flipbookee likes this.
  35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, the shortcut is hiding all Si3 floating windows and if they are already hidden then it shows them in a single floating tab. Only the position of the last active floating tab is saved when hiding them and then that's used to position the single floating window with all the tabs in it... I think this has to be changed so that if floating Si3 tabs are not in focus we'll only get the focus on the last of them we interacted with, otherwise do the old functionality. And I can easily do that if you think it will help?

36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@mStep, insert this code at line 1815 in FGCodeWindow.cs:
    Code (csharp):
    1.             var focusedSi3Tab = focusedWindow as FGCodeWindow;
    2.             if (!focusedSi3Tab || !focusedSi3Tab.IsFloating())
    3.             {
    4.                 FGCodeWindow setFocusOn = null;
    5.                 for (var i = floatingSi3Tabs.Count; i --> 0; )
    6.                 {
    7.                     var tab = floatingSi3Tabs[i];
    8.                     var index = System.Array.IndexOf(oldHistory, tab.targetAssetGuid);
    9.                     if (index >= 0 && index < mostRecentIndex)
    10.                     {
    11.                         mostRecentIndex = index;
    12.                         setFocusOn = tab;
    13.                     }
    14.                 }
    15.                 if (setFocusOn)
    16.                 {
    17.                     setFocusOn.Focus();
    18.                     return;
    19.                 }
    20.             }
    and it will do exactly that - the focus will switch to those floating Si3 tabs on Shift-Cmd-T if they aren't focused already, or if they are it will do the old functionality - show or hide the floating tabs. Let me know if this works as you may have just earned a little bit of credits for the next release ;)

37. gg_michael

gg_michael

Hmm I inserted the code but it doesn't appear to have any different effect. Tabs still combine into one view when using the CMD-SHIFT-T shortcut

38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, they still do, but the difference is that now you don't have to hide and show them if you only wanted to set the focus on them. So when the focus is on let's say your Project tab, pressing the shortcut once sets the focus on Si3 tabs. If you press again you'll hide all floating tabs, so don't do that ;) because their relative layout isn't saved and they'll all appear in a single window when you unhide them.

If you're sure that you'll never want to hide them accidentally, you can also add a return statement right after inserted block. Hiding floating tabs on OS X doesn't make much sense because they can go even behind the main Unity window, but on Windows they can't so on single display systems it's sometimes useful to hide them... Maybe I'll have to make that optional and let the user select what is the shortcut doing...

JoeStrout likes this.
  39. gg_michael

gg_michael

Okay I understand. Yeah I work on a single laptop display mostly so the ability to flip between a SI3 window w/ multiple tab views docked together and the main unity window, with the SI3 window retaining it's size/multiple views layout, would be ideal. Obv you've got a lot on your plate, so no worries if that's low on your list.

Unless I'm being dumb and there's a way to get that functionality already?? I just want to be able to use the keyboard to basically "alt-tab" but only between the SI3 unity window and the other "regular" window, but with the SI3 window retaining its exact layout and tab positioning.

Loving all the updates btw :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. gg_michael

gg_michael

While I'm fantasizing, the ultimate setup for me would be if all active SI3 tabs could be shown across the top when using ALT-ENTER to maximize a SI3 window. That way I could keep my SI3 tabs in a small docked window within the main Unity window for quick access, but could ALT-ENTER into a fullscreen view of all my SI3 tabs and quickly use CTRL-ALT-ARROW to flip between them for MAXIMUM CODING SPACE :p

Obviously I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts! Using just a laptop is a lot easier the less I have to touch the trackpad. I would assume that fullscreening of SI3 tabs uses some built-in Unity functionality, so it may not be possible as-is, but a man can dream ;)

Flipbookee likes this.
  41. syscrusher

syscrusher

I have a question about DLLs. Normally, I do all my code editing in SI3, and I never invoke Monodevelop or Visual Studio at all. I have looked up the procedure for creating a custom DLL using MD or VS, but there is obviously some mechanism by which SI3 is invoking the C# compiler for me.

Is it possible to use SI3 by itself, with its behind-the-scenes compilation, to create a DLL of my code, or is it necessary for me to open my code in VS or MD to do this?

Flipbookee likes this.
  42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@syscrusher, currently no but this is something I wanted to add to Si3 since some time ago! It will be something like additional properties on managed dll assets where you can specify where is the source code for that dll on your drives. That will be somewhere outside of the project's Assets folder, so I'll have to extend Si3's functionality quite a bit to allow editing those files, but once that's done those additional source files will essentially become part of the project and Si3 will manage automatic recompile of the dll whenever they are modified in a similar way as Unity Editor does that with source files in the Assets folder. :)

For now, yes, you'll have to compile your dll's with VS or MD. Or you could add an item in the main menu that compiles those projects and replaces your dll with a new one. I guess I can help if you want to try that?

43. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks for the reply. I have a copy of uTomate (a batch-process tool for the editor) here, so I think what I'll do is figure out how to make things work from a command prompt, then use uTomate to automate that process. I'll ping back if I get stuck, and please do keep us informed as you make progress toward this as an SI3 feature. :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. gg_michael

gg_michael

Running into some crashes, wish I could be more helpful but they seem to randomly happen on compilation. Would it be possible to have SI3 save what scripts you have open? Every time my project crashes and I reopen it, the scripts I was working in are no longer open. Not sure when SI3 saves that info but it would mitigate a lot of the headaches from crashes if I knew the SI3 tabs I was working on would be there when I reopened the project.

45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, Si3 doesn't save which tabs were open. Unity Editor does that, not sure when, but I'm sure it does that at least on closing the project. I will look in the disassembly and maybe I'll find something there that I can trigger when a new Si3 tab opens...

46. sngdan

sngdan

I never really had an issue with the tabs not re opening...but I also try to not crash Unity too often :)
    Also great optimizations in the last version, running very stable on my end...

Flipbookee likes this.
  47. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Bad news, SI3 does not work correctly with Chinese characters ... Can you see the overlap characters ?

Flipbookee likes this.
  48. nathaniel_baobab

nathaniel_baobab

Long ago on this thread, there was a discussion on using tabs vs spaces for indentation, and the suggestion that an option to pick was on it's way. Did that ever make it's way in, or are there good alternatives? Our coding standards dictate using spaces, so any file script inspector saves breaks our rules. :0(

Flipbookee likes this.
  49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, I see and I know the issue. This is happening because the Chinese, Japanese and Korean characters in monospaced fonts actually take a bit more space than the other characters and Si3 doesn't account for that. Si3 simply assumes the horizontal size of all the characters is same, which needs to be changed now.

Hmm, yes. I forgot about that... I'll add the option quickly and I'll send you a custom version so you don't have to wait for the next release ;)

50. Andrew_Howe

Andrew_Howe

Hi, no biggie, but the following code...

Code (CSharp):
    1. class X
    2. {
    3.     public X(bool isYin, bool isYang) {}
    4.     public void Member(bool isYin, bool isYang) {}
    5.     public static void Oops()
    6.     {
    7.         X x = new X(isYin: true, isYang: false);
    8.         x.Member(isYin: false, isYang: true);
    9.     }
    10. }
    ... puts squigglies under the named parameters for the constructor call on line 7 and says "unknown symbol" in the tooltip. I traced it to the case "argumentName" in FGTypeSystem.cs, but then it gets complicated :) I don't know how to fix it, but it needs to allow for constructor calls / object creation expressions as well as method calls.

Flipbookee likes this.