Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Utilities Script Inspector 3

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Flipbookee, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Sure, of course. :)

Yes, both shortcuts should work :cool:

2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I've never noticed something like that. Please take a screenshot next time you see that! I'll check the code if there's anything suspicious...

Interesting... I have no idea, but I'll check the code - maybe I'll find something... :confused:

Thanks guys!

3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

There's no Save As in Si3, but instead of that you can duplicate any script in the Project tab and then edit that one. ;)

I can add the Save As command if you really need that?

4. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

Is it possible to change default shortcuts of "save all" feature?
    Since ctrl+R is usually Rename Refactor and when refactor is added to SI3 in the future, it will be very confusing :D

Save all should probably be (ctrl+shift+S)

EDIT: How can I see commend made above method/class? Sometimes it shows it, sometimes not.
    (I use default VS comment style /// <summary>....)

EDIT 2: 50% of times when I have error in code, it doesnt get highlighted by red. Is it a known bug for latest version?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Pressing Ctrl+S twice does the same thing as Ctrl+R currently :)

No, Si3 doesn't show those comments (yet)... That's a tricky feature to implement and not compromise the speed of Si3. That's because Si3 reads most of the information it needs from your code using .Net's Reflection, which is much faster than parsing code and doing semantic analysis (as regular IDE's do). Si3 switches to that method (parsing and analysis) only for edited but not-compiled-yet scripts... But I'll think of some solution...

What kind of error? Si3 doesn't highlight all possible errors but only the most common ones. ;) But I can extend it with more error recognition code, if necessary!

6. 2dgame

2dgame

Is there any shortcut to comment out only the highlighted section of a line via /* */? If not, maybe SI should do that by default when something in a line is highlighted and you press Ctrl + K?

Flipbookee likes this.
  7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

There's no shortcut for that, so yeah, that's a great suggestion! :)

8. mcmorry

mcmorry

For OSX I use CMD+/
    I don't remember if is the standard of MonoDevelop.
    But in MonoDevelop if there are more lines, it adds // before each, not /* */ around the block. Even if is nicer to have the lines surrounded by /* */ is often an issue when you already have a comment like this in the selected lines. Using just // for each line avoid any problem.
    A smart system should detect if there is a conflict and choose the best solution :p

Flipbookee likes this.
  9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes @mcmorry. @2dgame was asking is there a shortcut to only comment out a part of a single line with /* */ but not the whole line. ;) And yes, Si3 could do that when there's a selection that spans on a single line but not all of it is selected. So we can reuse the same shortcut - if there's only a part of line selected we can have that surrounded with /* */ and when there's no selection or the whole line is selected or multiple lines are selected to keep the old behavior and get them commented out with // :cool:

mcmorry likes this.
  10. 2dgame

2dgame

Yes, this is what I meant. I do this very often, not to actually write comments, but to temporarily disable some code inside a line.

Flipbookee likes this.
  11. mcmorry

mcmorry

Ops :oops: I read to fast.

Cool! :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  12. Novack

Novack

Well, Im back from a few days of using VS Code.

Time ago I had just launched it, and was unusable. Nowadays, I found an entirely different beast. I loved many things from it. But all in all, is plagued with issues. The C# support is suboptimal to say the least, relying on omnisharp which has a plugin for every editor out there, and none of them works 100%. Intellisense is limited, and not in pair with Si3 or VS. Debugging is clumsy, and wont let you use your personal debug layout. Unity support is a mess. I was constantly disturbed by warnings and errors that I had to Google out of the way (nothing works out of the box for our use).

On the bright side,
    • Code refactoring and suggestion is sweet candy: it offers management of usings, removing unused and adding of missing namespaces (as declaring statement at the top, or as part of the current sentence). It also offers method generation (as when you are calling an unexistant member), and some other goodies.
    • When there is a relevant suggestion, the word or sentence gets uderlined/highlighted in green, which is really useful, and displays a tiny lightbulb that made me remember of my times with NetBeans.
    • I love CTRL+. for opening suggestions, & refactorings.
    • I also love CTRL+Click for "Go To Definition".
    • I loved the SublimeText-like command bar.
    • I love how it handles configs and preferences in json files.
    • I loved the themes & extensions, and the management of them.
    • I loved how with hitting a button will send the current tab into a parallel layout.
    • I liked the middle ground between a keyboard-centric and a mouse-centric IDE and the minimalistic UI.
    • I loved an extension that colorizes parenthesis and brackets to visually denote matches.
    • And of course, I loved code folding ;)
    (It actually made me realize how powerful would be a this point an independent app based on Si3... )
    But you know, Im home again, tied to VSPro for debugging but missing the cozy comfort of my Si3 tabs at the Unity Editor :)

Consider opening the trello thing, I would really like to put some of those bullet points above for consideration ;)

Also, while testing VS Code, a colleage recommended me this font, which I found super cool, and want to propose for inclusion in Si.

Hope my short travel into new lands be constructive for our prefered editor! :cool:;)

Flipbookee likes this.
  13. Novack

Novack

Oh, also I noted some subtle changes in the VS Code Monokai theme that I liked, so was porting it to Si3.
    However one of the things I wanted to do, does not seem to be available right now for the themes: Could we have a difference between declaration and invocation?

I'd like to be able to have this:

Instead of this:

Edit: Also, small feature request: Expose in the themes, the font type for the tooltips.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  14. SarperS

SarperS

It will also be very interesting to try Jetbrains' new C# IDE (Project Rider), once it's released. It may replace Si3 (which is the only IDE I use on my mac) for me. @Flipbookee check it out if you have some free time.

15. Novack

Novack

I have also tried Consulo, which I think is based on JetBrains, and I was not impressed. Java based...

16. mcmorry

mcmorry

I tried it but it wasn't able to open the solution :confused:. It just raised an exception.
    And even if will work very will, for me will only replace MonoDevelop, not Si3 that will remain a valid tool for Unity (even if not the primary one) for coding. When Si3 will have more features (refactoring, main window with proprietary tabs and customizable shortcuts) could easly compete with any other editor. ;)

Novack likes this.
  17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @Novack, thanks for the nice report! Very useful :)

Yeah, looks nice and useful! I'll add something like that to Si3 :)

Hmm, I can't notice much difference from DejaVu Sans Mono... Here's a comparison:
    Hack Font.gif
    There's a difference in the 'i' character and a little bit in the zeros. Also placement of the parentheses is a bit "wider" in the Hack font. I don't like any of those differences, :p but that's just me, hehe ;)

Novack and mcmorry like this.
  18. Novack

Novack

Ah thats interesting, I tried to make the Hack font to work with Si3, but could not make it (tried 5 minutes really), so I was not being able to test nor compare with other fonts... will try again to see if I can simply use DejaVu.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Flipbookee likes this.
  19. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I got a screenshot from theme format some times error (reported before) :)

The script on the right and its inspector (on the left) will not highlight correctly while the middle one still render correctly. There are no compiling errors, code complete seems to be working correctly though.
    Note that when I try to edit a line then only that line will be coloring correctly again.

Flipbookee likes this.
  20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @thienhaflash! I actually caught that same issue yesterday and I attached the debugger to see what's going on, but the stupid VS got frozen and it froze my Unity. I had to kill both of them :(

I have no idea how I made that happen, so let me know if you find something else. I didn't even get a chance to see what will happen on typing, so thanks for the info! It may help narrowing down to less possibilities :)

Giving this a second thought, I remember what was the unusual thing I was doing just before noticing the issue - I was wrapping some code in a #region... It's a long shot, but were you maybe doing the same? If that's related then there are very few places which may cause the issue, so it should be easy to find that.

21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Are you talking about the white text inside methods? I'm pretty sure that's result of the limitation of TextMate language grammars that VS Code and Sublime Text use for syntax highlighting. As these grammars only define parsing and not code analysis process, the output contains limited information about tokens inside methods. Those symbols have to be resolved during the code analysis phase for the editor to "know" what is a type, what is a field, or what is a method, so almost everything is white representing unknown tokens...

For the autocompletion to work, the editor still has to resolve the symbols, which is done by omnisharp, but then that information is not used for colorizing tokens. If it was, that would be what we call semantic highlighting. I don't know is semantic highlighting a feature available in VS Code? In Si3 it is and it's always turned on. There's no option to turn it off because I always thought that's a stupid option to have. :p But if you think that looks nicer, then yes, I can add it and the text inside methods should look like that. Shall I?

22. Novack

Novack

Well, the following question would be, besides affecting the color theme, it would affect other functionality?

I do like more white on the code, while still like the colouring on the declarations and signatures. Im not sure to what extent that would break the rest of the theme though. I like Monokai the most, but sometimes is just too coloured and I feel like defeats the purpose.

Not sure it deserves too much attention though, I can deal wit it as it is.

On a side note, I have been working on a Si3 small mod, to have colour themes as different files on a directory and be loaded dinamically from there. Is not finished, but if you're interested, I can send it for you to have a look when it is.

mcmorry likes this.
  23. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I never use that #region though, actually detest it, blocking my view, especially when I can not fold it out :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, I'll "fix" that - folding #regions is the easiest folding of all, so I'll start with that first ;)

25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

No, I can keep the same functionality and add more text coloring options - one for inside methods and another one for everything else :cool:

Woah! :eek: That's amazing :D

I received your changes. Thanks for sending them! These will be released with the next update :cool:

26. Novack

Novack

Woot! Thank you!

:oops::cool: Awesome man. I accidentally included a "VS Code Monokai" theme that is experimental and unfinished, so, please remove it until it makes sense to have it there :D

Flipbookee likes this.
  27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

While investigating Si3's competition (although they are all out of its league :p) and checking how code folding is done in some of them, I came across this interesting article by Jeff Atwood:
    https://blog.codinghorror.com/the-problem-with-code-folding/

Spoiler: Jeff is on my side here, seeing little or no value in hiding the most important information in code editors - the code :p

So, I found this Jeff's comment to be the most valuable one for Si3:
    Wouldn't that be cute? :)

28. SarperS

SarperS

Giving the programmer to region as he sees fit is more flexible. Easier to implement. And not every programmer structures the code in the same way, it would upset some to force putting fields of same nature together just to use folding for those areas. Just my two cents.

Flipbookee and Novack like this.
  29. mcmorry

mcmorry

I use regions to group by features, not by visibility or type of data.
    So when I have my UI screen, some methods are to update some main buttons, others to update the animation in background, and so on.
    But I still try to keep some order: unity private serializefield fields, public properties, Unity magic methods (Awake, Start, ...) regions (with public methods and private methods).
    I don't know how Si3 could help more in this case, but the regions are good as they are.

30. SarperS

SarperS

For me regions are very useful in two scenarios

1) Especially in large source files, I don't want to scroll a big body of code to see my public properties if I don't remember one by name to use something like "go to field". I don't like using bookmarks for this purpose either. Hiding the methods with a keyboard shortcut and then expanding them again feels more natural to me.

2) I like to hide methods and fields that rarely -if ever- changed. I don't want to see them, I don't want them to clutter up the screen. This way I can focus on what I'm working on at that moment better.

I also very rarely bundle up code in regions if there is something that needs a refactoring later or such. Does it better than todo comments in some cases.

Apart from these, I don't use regions to categorize the elements in the source file or try to prettify it in any way with regions.

31. Novack

Novack

Haha. Its certainly the usual points. Is true that editors or IDEs that cage you into any given imposed behaviour are terrible, but this is almost unexistent this days. You go to Options, and simply uncheck auto-folding: there Jeff, you save yourself the work of writing a rather pointless blog post.

The truth is, you can always make entitled enumerations of pros and cons, do's and donts, bullet points and numbered lists, but in the end, we work in the reality: that place where the more tools you have, the better. Reality, where you face multiple situations where you need to be creative, and where the result may not be an ideal, by-the-book implementation, because well, they just could not be. Or because you have to build upon something, or because you was simply asked to do it in a certain way.

Folding, like every other tool of the sort, is not used consistently (except maybe by some specific teams, or some cult coders). In the day to day work, most of us use folding as an ocassional tool that you only remember of (or miss) when you need it.

A nice example for me, is one of the ScriptInspector3 core files: while learning a file with more than 10.000 lines of code, navigating and looking to extract the color themes from there, I would have paid to be able to fold parts of that file. And this happens to me often, when I try to focus on certain parts of a file, or certain specific interactions between classes.

So Im curious about an IDE deciding for me what to fold, but I would not oppose to innovation! Specially if having an option to disable when needed ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Flipbookee likes this.
  32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks for all the input guys! It's always good to know more about your use cases - it helps to stay away from making questionable decisions. :)

A tiny progress update - Si3 finds and marks foldable parts in code (currently #regions only) like this:
    Folding1.png

Next - make those arrow buttons actually do something :p so stay tuned...

SarperS, mcmorry and Novack like this.
  33. petey

petey

G'day all,

I'm wondering if I'm missing something with find & replace. Coming from sublime the find and replace was so easy, and awesome but it seems to have a lot of steps here. Just checking I'm not doing something wrong.
    So you press Shift + Cmd + H, then enter the find and replace strings then uncheck the ones you don't want to replace from the console. It just seems to want to replace so much! Is there an easy way to just replace the selected or a few selected bits?

(Here's my old sublime workflow, it must be the most simple find and replace ever :))

This addon is super cool though, thanks for making it! I'm amazed :p
    P

Flipbookee likes this.
  34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes @petey, that's the workflow currently in Si3 - not perfect, but it will be massively improved with Rename Refactoring in version 3.1...

By the way, Sublime Text is awesome with its multi-caret / multi-selection thingy and I love that! :) I hope to get that in Si3 one day too :)

So, Rename Refactoring is something more powerful than a simple Find/Replace as it finds all the references to the renamed symbol and verifies that doing that change won't break your code by searching for conflicts with the rest of the code. Moreover (and only in Si3) there will be another advantage over external IDE's - changing name of a MonoBehaviour derived class will also rename its script in a way that prefabs and game objects in scenes can still reference it. :cool: And it would also be possible to make rename look for additional references to members referenced as strings or from UnityEvent fields, for example! :D

I just have to finish all that :p

Hehe, thanks a lot! :cool:

35. mcmorry

mcmorry

@Flipbookee I was in a MonoBehaviour class and I typed "void OnDe" and I hit Esc for autocompletion expecting to see "OnDestrory() {}" but nothing happened :)
    Would be nice to have suggestion for Unity magic methods. I remember that you have already implemented something about it but can't find it. (I also check the first post of this thread because usually other assets developer keep the first post updated with all the features of their plugin. Maybe you could consider doing this to)

Flipbookee likes this.
  36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @mcmorry, that's a very good suggestion! Thanks man, I'll do that :)

So, trick is to not type "void" or anything else in front of "OnDe" ;) and then Si3 will offer completions for all matching magic methods, like this:
    MonoBehaviourMagicMethods.gif

There were two reasons why it was done like that: first because I thought it would be annoying to see completions for all magic methods each time while declaring any void method and interfering with typing the name, and second because Si3 in addition to simply creating a new empty body method also checks is maybe the same method already implemented in the base class, and if it is, then it marks the method as "new" and adds a call to the base class implementation in the body of the method. :cool:

But I got the same question a week ago, so maybe I should allow auto-completing magic methods after void and IEnumerator?

mcmorry likes this.
  37. petey

petey

Hey thanks for the update, I'll keep an eye out for 3.1!

Flipbookee likes this.
  38. Novack

Novack

Yeah. The same happens to me from time to time, I start typing void, then I have to delete void and start over :D
    Probably nice to have it offer autocomplete unity methods.

Flipbookee likes this.
  39. mcmorry

mcmorry

Your approach is correct but unfortunately is too innovative that the user doesn't expect that and doesn't try.
    But even if the user already typed "void St" you could still present all the options so to change / correct what the user typed (for example with IEnumerator Start).

Flipbookee likes this.
  40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, I see your point... You're right! I'll do that and I'll make sure to prevent autocompletion while declaring just regular methods by forcing autocompletion box to behave non-aggressively, so you'll see the list with all the magic methods but you'll have to explicitly select one from the list (using mouse or up and down arrow keys) to activate it...

This will rock! :cool:

41. petey

petey

Hey guys my Si3 just disappeared :(
    How do i get it back? I tried re-installing but it just wont appear again... No SiConsole, no Si preferences, it just looks as though it were never installed...
    Any ideas?
    P.

42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @petey, did you get it back? If not check the Console window for compile errors and fix them if there are any...

Otherwise check is there a Script Inspector submenu in the Window menu. If that's there but Si3 is still not showing up then the only thing I could think of is to reset your Unity window layout and me know what version of Unity do you use? You don't use one of those broken ones, do you?

43. Novack

Novack

Quick question: what is the status, and the planned direction for the DLL compiled version of Si3?

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I'll try to add an option to compile itself, if possible, with the fist next update. If not, then I'll add the compiled dll in a zip file with instructions how to use it. :cool:

Next update will be released once I complete code folding, so that's maybe early next week...

Novack likes this.
  45. petey

petey

Hey Flipbook, I'm not sure what happened there but I think it might have been something to do with the layout. Just when I gave up trying to fix it, it suddenly just came back!? I'll be more vigilant next time and try to spot what breaks/fixes it... Wow so you might have code folding as soon as next week? Is that just a beta thing?
    P.

46. sngdan

sngdan

@petey, you might have encountered something new, the only times SI3 "disappeared" for me (on mac) is:
    1- there were compile errors before the first time it started (solution: fix them outside of SI3)
    2- the window is small and you miss it (for some reason the first time I start SI3 in a project, the window is always detached and very small, solution: open eyes :) )
    3- maybe custom layout related things (i get error messages sometimes on new projects, but I am not sure if it SI3 or Unity related, solution: usually just reloading any layout will help)

47. petey

petey

Thanks man, I'll keep my eye out for those tips, I sorta think it might have had something to do with the layout. I do end up customising that a but and sometimes Unity doesn't like it.
    P.

48. mcmorry

mcmorry

@Flipbookee I recently tested Visual Studio for Mac and Rider EAP for Mac and I was very disappointed.
    VS is much much much slower than MonoDevelop to reload the solution (that happens every time something change in Unity, so quite often) and not only is slow, but it locks the IDE so I can't even type (something like one minute or more!).
    Rider is fast but is still missing a lot of features (compared to MonoDevelop). Probably will be better in the future but so far is not production ready.
    I wish Si3 could be supported (I mean financially) in a way that could grow fast and compete with these huge IDEs. There is a lot of potential, but would require probably a team of 3 developers full time to implement all the features! :)
    Have you ever thought about a Kickstarter campaign or https://www.patreon.com/ ?

49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks @mcmorry for sharing your experience with Si3 alternatives! I've heard VS for Mac is only a rebranded Xamarin Studio, so nothing too interesting ;) but Rider sounds like it's worth checking out. I'll do that...

Yeah, Si3 grows relatively slow compared to huge IDE's, but I think it's still more focused than them as it only targets Unity developers. The other IDE's may be growing faster overall, but that doesn't mean Unity developer can benefit from all of those features. ;)

But yeah, even if there was only one person working full time on Si3, that would mean adding many new features at a really fast pace, so you wouldn't even think of using any other IDE. :p But at the moment, that's too far from possible - excluding last month when Si3 was promoted by Asset Store and on 24h sale, it still generates only pocket money, so I can't consider that as an option. :p I can't wait to see if having a free version of Si3 will change that...

Patreon looks interesting. :) I didn't know about that, thanks for the link! I'll check it out :)

Either that, or maybe this here: ;)
    upload_2016-11-27_21-51-1.png
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/make-scriptinspector-the-default-unity-code-editor

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    mcmorry and Novack like this.
  50. petey

petey

This is what makes Si3 so awesome!
    Keep up the good work man!
    P.

Flipbookee and mcmorry like this.